Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Consumer rights regulations and fitting customer parts

asterix_the_gaul

Since April last year I believe, mechanics are liable to warrant any mechanical parts they fit to your car: this is only starting to filter through on the ground: this affected me when I called up a local garage to fit a wheel bearing I picked up to fix my wife's golf yesterday. Nobody I called would do it, they will only fit parts they have sourced as their Insurance will not cover them if the part fails and they cannot trace the part to it's supplier effectively.

Has anyone experienced this in the Porsche world? I often source parts to save money as I have the time to search for the best deal but not the time or skill usually to fit them plus I like to know I've fitted a quality part not just whatever the garage has sourced at short notice. This kind of puts you in a difficult position if you source good second hand parts but don't have the skill to fit them yourself? What about reFurbishing your calipers forinstance? Unless the garage pays them and bills you for it potentially they could refuse to fit them?

Hi Asterix,

Yes, I have found this on safety critical items like brake parts, steering, suspension, and as in your case wheel bearings. To be fair to the garage, you could have got these parts from anywhere of dubious quality and they are implicated in the case of an event.

I have found garages much more relaxed on other non safety related issues like exhaust systems, engine oils and filters, bodywork parts etc.

Interesting and not something i had herd of .. but then i just do what im told :D

Oil , filters brakes etc etc then we have no problem fitting them if you supply them new ..

If you have a cracked head and bring us a second hand one to fit then i would expect us to say fine but we cant guarentee it ..

If the law says we have to then we aint gona fit it !

No ifs or butts there .. how can a garage put a guarentee on something they dont know is ok :dont know:

This is not a new thing, a garage owning mate got sucsessfully sued for fitting a second hand engine, supplied by the customer that blew up inside 6 weeks of installation. From memory a couple of years ago.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back