Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

How to fit wheel centre caps

stefant

Trainee
Hi,

I recently bought some replacement wheel centres/caps for my 18" wheels that I have just had refurbished.

The wheel refurbisher removed the old wheel caps during the refurbishment.

I can't for the life of me see how they will fit back in as they look at least 1 or 2mm too big for the centre hole.

I am thinking that the paint/powder coating is too thick on the wheel which has resulted in the hold being too small... or do I just need to force them?

Odd, when I read the title of this thread I thought it was joke. Should just pop in.

Did you buy the correct size caps? When I put my new ones in, they were quite tight IIRC.

Hi Stefant,

Are your wheels fitted to the car yet? If you are having trouble fitting the right size centres, you will have the same problem fitting the wheel on the wheel hub boss!!

If the wheels are fitted to the car, then the problem seems to be pointing to the centres. Are they from Porsche or a reputable supplier?

When Chris from Exel refurbed my wheels last year he said that the, erm, homage wheel centres that can be bought inexpensively from eBay etc need turning down slightly in order to fit - but as long as you do that they're fine.

Are you centres actual Porsche, or a faithful rendition of same?

This is a known issue on refurbed wheels if care has not been taken to allow for the centre cap to sit flush. Very few take the time and care to ensure a good fit.

A light sanding of the wheel and/or centre cap could be enough to ensure a good fit, but don't go crazy, if you sand through the lacquer then you'll be needing another refurb before long.

Thanks for the replies. These are official Porsche replacements like for like.

I was going to sand them down a bit but will pop back the the wheel refurbishment place first and see what he says.

The wheel fits on fine!

Will keep you updated...

On a wheel refurb they are powder coated , they dont often mask off the wheel cap hole or indeed the hole that locates it onto the hub which means the wheel wont fit and the caps also wont fit .

Its a case of sanding off the excesses coating to get both to fit im afraid .

Pretty common , sandapaper or if you have one a die grinder / rotateing sand disc .. makes life a bit easier .

And when you get them in, make sure the pointy bit of the Porsche crest points to the valve to keep the sandal wearers happy

:wink:

James M-S said:
And when you get them in, make sure the pointy bit of the Porsche crest points to the valve to keep the sandal wearers happy

:wink:

:floor:

I have to do that every single day !!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ansonslchang
Back