Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 CAN BUS wizards wanted

Jay Are

Trainee
Is there an idiots guide (this is really complex stuff) to CAN BUS? Or a guru?

We're messing around with an old 987 (CAN BUS will be the same) with a bigger engine, couple of turbo's :eek: etc.

We are trying to keep PSM and ABS , dash etc. Seriously hard work but worth it I think. Aftemarket ECU decoding is going ok but there are niggles like the handshake (chassis to engine ecu) and we are getting a Depress Clutch Pedal warning etc. Small things on the scheme of it but frustrating.

Are there any guides, has anyone done this before??

:?:

Cheers,

JR

PM me. I have some useful info on the 997 CAN bus protocol.

MC

I can dig out what i have if needed also .

As i understand it the car is standard other than the ecu ?

Does the ecu see the normal can bus messages and its only the clutch switch it cant see ? if so then possibly a codeing issue .. code it to tiptronic if nothing else and see what that does.

Can bus to me is a standard system across all makes as far as im aware .. but i tend to fix problems and not modifie stuff im afraid .

gateway on the car handles the different systems like comfort , drive etc .

EDIT ..

just to add that from memory the clutch switch is hardwired to the start relay via the VTS (tracking system ) so is not a can message ..

I would assume the Vesa (electric cu ) or the instrument cluster sees the car has not spun over after a few seconds and so triggers the dash message .

On a normal car the message takes about 3-5 seconds with key in the start position before the message is triggered.

Thanks Guys :thumb:

Some good info found so far but still a long way off. I think the only standard thing in the car is the clutch - apart from the slave cylinder - that isn't come to think of it...

I may take you up on the offer DeMort but we have plently to look through for now so don't go out of your way to find something in particular. I will reserve the right to come back for a second installment as required.

Thanks again all. I am off to polish up on my CAN BUS / German :thumb:

i just edited my previous message ..

Please keep me informed or give me details as i love to try and help on things like this .. im no expert but happy to do my best .

Plus i love people that get my name spot on :D :thumb:

The CAN protocol itself is standard, in that the messages will have up to 8 bytes of data and either 11 or 29 bit identifiers, but the addresses used and the format of the data within the messages is proprietary and a closely guarded secret by the manufacturers. You can get devices to read the data on the CAN bus, but unless you know what you are looking for you will just see a load of addresses and data bytes with no clue as to what they mean.
I know on the PDK equipped cars there is handshaking between the gearbox and engine ECUs, I don't know about on the other versions.

MC

Curious if you ever sorted this out? I am trying to figure out the AC Compressor request address on the "drive' canbus.

My car is up and running. 1500hp TT V8, but I need to get my AC working :)

instagram.com/jordon.musser

JordonMusser said:

With 1500bhp on tap, just open the window and floor it :driving:

:thumb:

JordonMusser said:
Curious if you ever sorted this out? I am trying to figure out the AC Compressor request address on the "drive' canbus.

instagram.com/jordon.musser

What is the engine in?
MC

Wowser check out Jordans instagram thats a lovely looking beast caymen with an LS engine strapped in (I think) car looks cracking

Thanks guys. It is a dry sump LSA (LS3 crank, LSA block, LSA heads).

A lot changes on the canbus when you turn the AC on so I am not sure which address is the actual compressor request. Wish I had a stock car to play with.

Going to fiddle a bit more this weekend with the CAN sniffer. Might wire in a temp hard switch to the compressor so I can street tune with AC on (its 100F outside right now)

JordonMusser said:
Thanks guys. It is a dry sump LSA (LS3 crank, LSA block, LSA heads).

A lot changes on the canbus when you turn the AC on so I am not sure which address is the actual compressor request. Wish I had a stock car to play with.

Going to fiddle a bit more this weekend with the CAN sniffer. Might wire in a temp hard switch to the compressor so I can street tune with AC on (its 100F outside right now)

It does vary from model to model, but I would start by looking for the following

Message ID 0x246
Byte 0, bit 4 AC compressor on

This is for a 997, I'm not sure I have anything on the Cayman, but if you give me your model and year I'll take a look.

MC

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevemias
Back