Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Goodbye 996 C4S, hello E34 M5 3.6!

Beej160

Hi folks

As you may know, I sold my lovely C4S a few weeks ago
http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=125363

I've now bought into the M legend and plumped for this car, sold by a fellow member of the 5-series forum. I think many of you will appreciate a thread like this one which made my mind up very quickly!

http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/106276-new-owner-36-m5/

The interior needs a tiny bit of TLC and there's a couple of very minor electrical gremlins otherwise, a beautiful classic rescued lovingly!
Very poor with pics at the mo but check the pics in the thread.

Enjoy!

I'm not a fan of the cars but I'm a fan of someone putting that much effort in.

Are you Kobyashi on that thread? Did you buy it with the blown engine or with the new one fitted?

No, I'm Beej4 on that forum.

I bought this car after all works were done on the thread.

Like you, I appreciated the restoration.

Plus it had an interesting first owner, David Glimour,
Lead guitarist of Pink Floyd.

Blimey that was a labour of love... you got a good one there!

Anything else needed on it?

Thanks guys!

Like I mentioned, the interior could do with a little tlc, leather restoration.
A couple of electrical things like the wing mirrors not responding and interior light not working. The ac needs refitting but he gave me all the OEM BMW parts for that plus the sunroof gasket has collapsed a little and needs replacing but again, he's given me the OEM gasket.

I also have the original exhaust and original rear SLS suspension. Nothing wrong with these items, he just wanted to fit his own stuff as you can see in the thread.

Other than that, engine, bodywork, gearbox, suspension and a myriad of other things were replaced/rebuilt through his ownership.

Comparing it to my old C4S, it's slower and less agile but is surprisingly good through twisty roads, considering the size of the beast but I put that down to the M division, even back then. Porsche is very special and always will be to me and this feels pretty ancient compared to that but believe me folks when I say that the M5 feels so well put together, tank-like in the way everything shuts with that feeling of quality throughout. No squeaks, rattles, nothing.

The engine I've read is pretty much bullet-proof, especially so after the rebuild mentioned in the thread. All in all, previous owner said I don't really need to spend that much to get it to look even better.

An example of the spend involved here, he said when he had the car resprayed, he bought virtually all new rubbers and gasket trims for the bodywork costing more than 3.5K! It shows!

Aiming to get some pics up here as soon as I can.

Absolutely terrible pics but this weather is not allowing me to take anything decent!

Attachments

• m5_2_814.jpg
    m5_2_814.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 3,864
  • m5_1_115.jpg
    m5_1_115.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3,864
  • m5_3_933.jpg
    m5_3_933.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3,864
The interior looks in decent nick in those pics... nothing that some careful cleaning and leather deep clean/conditioning wouldn't improve.

You can get some great colour washes which would fill the cracks on the drivers seat... there is a leather care expert (a lady if memory serves, have a search) on here somewhere who will help.

Such a good looking car, favourite 5 series.

Thanks Mark, Robert.

The leather care expert would be useful. It's mainly the driver's seat that needs extra renovation but there's also a tiny split in the rear centre back rest, probably due to sunlight over time.

Any recommendations for a good leather seat restorer would be handy!

Cheers

love it, congrats!

Congrats on the purchase. The s38b36 engine is a peach and really comes on song above 5k. :thumb:

I'm also an e34 owner, one in resto/upgrade and a low miles 535i Sport Manual and can relate to their tank like build and all-round capability. Great cars which are still undervalued IMO.

C.

Thanks Badlands, Cableguy.

CB, we've already exchanged comments on the 5-series board so I feel I know you a little already!

If it was possible to keep both the C4S and the M5, I would have but needs must, my son's car really needed an update so with the sale of the C4S, it almost covers the cost of the M5 and his new car.

Love the old skool german cars, lovely colour combo. I just sold an E39 M5 to buy my 996C4S.

You'll miss the Porker, good luck with the restoration :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back