Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Goodwood FOS central feature celebrate Porsche's 70 yrs

911UK

Administrator
Staff member
Historic German marque Porsche will celebrate seven decades of sportscar manufacture at this summer's Festival of Speed presented by Mastercard – the annual motoring and motorsporting extravaganza in the grounds of Goodwood House.

And as part of its exciting programme of events to commemorate a lineage of world-beating road and racing sportscars that began with the 356 in 1948, Porsche will be the first manufacturer in the 25-year history of FOS to feature for the third time on the world-famous Central Feature in front of the house during the July 12-15 event.

https://www.goodwood.com/flagship-events/festival-of-speed/

Porsche-sculpture__2616895k.jpg

Twenty years ago, Porsche celebrated its 50th anniversary with a stunning display of five of its most successful sports-racers, the 917K, 917LH, 936, 956 and 911 GT1, and five years ago the 50th anniversary of the 911 was commemorated with a sky-scraping and kaleidoscopic structure – once again conceived by Gerry Judah.

In addition to what's sure to be another eye-catching static display, this time featuring road and race cars, a dedicated class of the finest Stuttgart-conceived machines will run on the Hillclimb course, the backbone of the event since its inception in 1993.

Expect to see many of the World Sportscar Championship and Le Mans 24 Hours winners, in prototype and GT guise, as well as Grand Prix, IndyCar and rally weapons from Porsche's back-catalogue getting an airing during the sell-out weekend. They'll be joined by class-leading production machines in the special batch and in the traditional and hugely popular Michelin Supercar Run.

Event founder and host The Duke of Richmond and Gordon is delighted Porsche will be back at FOS in style in this joint-anniversary year.

'Porsche has been one of our most loyal and enthusiastic partners, supporting the Festival of Speed since 1995, and the Revival since 2010," he said. 'This year Porsche will become the first manufacturer to create the central display at the Festival for the third time, underlining the huge contribution from this iconic manufacturer of world-beating racing cars and road cars."

porsche_central_feature_goodwood_fos_06021806.jpg

porsche_central_feature_goodwood_fos_06021809.jpg

Alexander Pollich, Managing Director of Porsche Cars Great Britain, added: 'We thought long and hard about how best to celebrate the 70th anniversary of our sports car and how we could share this with enthusiasts, Porsche fans and owners here in the UK. The Goodwood Festival of Speed will be the perfect setting – allowing the cars that, over seven decades, have made Porsche so unique and so special, to be seen, and heard, in action. Watching a 917 twitch and weave its way past the flint wall is a highlight that I'm very much looking forward to this July."

Porsche's presence at FOS this summer won't be limited to the Hillclimb and Central Feature. The firm's stand will showcase its full range of production cars, with a glimpse into the technology of the future. Visitors will be able to experience an exhilarating ride in the all-new Cayenne as well as take part in virtual races on hi-tech simulators.

Full details of the exciting line-up of Porsche legends – men and machines – due to take part in the 70th anniversary festivities will be announced in the coming weeks.

porsche_central_feature_goodwood_fos_06021805.jpg

Attachments

• fos18_105.jpg
    fos18_105.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 2,329
:thumbs:

I'll be there on the Thursday.

Looks like 'Porsche-70' is the biggest celebration in Porsche World since '911-50'.

Not been to the GFOS for about 15 years, so this would seem to be a very good excuse to return.

Hoping to make this my first FOS attendance!

Is any day better than another at the Festival ?

I can only attend one day but, it could be any of them so which one ?

997man said:
Is any day better than another at the Festival ?

I can only attend one day but, it could be any of them so which one ?

Thursday is the quietest day and although you can view everything only a few of the feature cars go up the hill.

Friday is less busy than the weekend days and you get to see everything.

Nowadays I prefer to watch the weekend days on the internet and/or TV.

In all honesty these days it's very difficult to see even 50% of the event in one day. The best way is to choose in advance what you want to see most and concentrate on getting that done. Use any time left afterwards to visit other things.

If you're not fussed about seeing the feature cars going up the hill I'd definitely recommend Thursday.

+1 for Thursday -my preference, and the site is still 'fresh' (if the weathers not great)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back