Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Occasional PCM3 reboot

systech1

Greetings again from AUS.

My MY2010 997.2S with PCM3 occasionally reboots for no apparent reason.

Since it always appears to occur at the same geographic location I believe it is due to coupling of magnetic fields from major power lines under the road near a major shopping centre (Reference: for those in the defence electronics industry ... MIL STD 461, Radiated Susceptibility, RS101).

I suspect that the shielding of the PCM is not perfect and the magnetic field emanating from the high capacity power feeder cables to the shopping centre are coupled into the electronics and cause a system reboot.

FWIW, I use the Tune2air/ Bovee for cableless streaming of music from my iPhone but don't believe this is an issue since the reboot occurs with this disconnected as well.

Would be interested to know if anyone has experienced similar rebooting and whether it has been diagnosed / fixed and if so how.

Any inputs gratefully appreciated.

Yes mine does it at what I thought was random times but now will pay more attention to where I am when it does it. I also have a bovee fitted . I asked my tech about it he said the OPC can do a reprogramme but its not guarranteed to sort it and if it gets too bad then its a new PCM 3 :eek:

Mine also does that, also have a Bovee. I also occasionally have an unresponsive volume knob which may or may not be related but this seems to be once every couple of thousand miles.

rhino-man said:
Mine also does that, also have a Bovee. I also occasionally have an unresponsive volume knob which may or may not be related but this seems to be once every couple of thousand miles.

I have noticed that when on spotify or similar if you have the volume down on your phone you cant get the volume very high on the PCM turn up your phone and the pcm vol is sorted. :thumb:

I had exactly the same thing happen on my 2010 C4S when I picked it up. It usually happened when I was putting multiple demands on the PCM, in other words using nav, streaming through Bovee or direct connection and switching between screens. I wanted a map update and this requires latest firmware, this failed to load at OPC, upshot had a new PCM under warranty. Never happened once since.

Phil 997 said:
rhino-man said:

I have noticed that when on spotify or similar if you have the volume down on your phone you cant get the volume very high on the PCM turn up your phone and the pcm vol is sorted. :thumb:

Thanks for the comment but mine comes back after stopping the car and restarting so I'm sure its a hardware thing.

I had exactly the same thing happen on my 2010 C4S when I picked it up. It usually happened when I was putting multiple demands on the PCM, in other words using nav, streaming through Bovee or direct connection and switching between screens. I wanted a map update and this requires latest firmware, this failed to load at OPC, upshot had a new PCM under warranty. Never happened once since.

Hopefully they will do the same to mine, just booked it in for a look. Only thing with such an intermittent fault is them being able to repeat it. Ideally they would like a video proving it (very unlikely to be able to achive that when driving....)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back