Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Radio interference

Cybot7

Today was the first time I've done a decent bit of mileage with the radio on and I was very aware of spasmodic interference which I eventually put down to my iPhone. The car is a 2001 996. Apart from either not turning the radio on or turning my phone off is there anything I can do about eliminating the interference?

Have you got any charging devices in the car, such as for phones?

They can cause problems.

EGTE said:
Have you got any charging devices in the car, such as for phones?

They can cause problems.
Aha. Yes it was connected for charging att.

You've not got an aftermarket HID upgrade kit have you? my radio is perfect until the main dipped beams are on and then total distortion, apparently HID kits can cause this and mine is the same.....

gilessav said:
You've not got an aftermarket HID upgrade kit have you? my radio is perfect until the main dipped beams are on and then total distortion, apparently HID kits can cause this and mine is the same.....
No. I've come to the conclusion having read about it and what I've been told is that the problem lies with the crap charger I've been using so I've bought a better spec USB charger. Hopefully that'll cure the problem.

gilessav said:

Giles, I have this exact problem!!

Is there anything that can be done?

IceBoy
:dont know:

Not sure.....

have new HID complete kit coming this week as the old ballast one side appears to have failed (just in time for the MOT). some of the advertised ones seem to claim that have some sort of way to avoid the interference but we'll see!

Interestingly HorizonLED's have discontinued the kit I ordered and have new 3 year warranty apparently higher quality kits which are MOT legal coming on so will be fitting that (£30 upscale of costs); will report back on if it makes a difference as nagging annoying!

gilessav said:
No. I've come to the conclusion having read about it and what I've been told is that the problem lies with the crap charger I've been using so I've bought a better spec USB charger. Hopefully that'll cure the problem.

I have the same problem with phone charger/sat nav charger. I've tried various adaptors but no luck. Interested to see if yours works..

I have read that adding separate power for charging or an additional earth for the radio works!

I noticed radio interference recently when using a Lidl usb charger adapter in the cigar lighter. Switched to the branded energizer one that I also had in the car and problem disappeared. I have PCM 1

I noticed radio interference recently when using a Lidl usb charger adapter in the cigar lighter. Switched to the branded energizer one that I also had in the car and problem disappeared. I have PCM 1

Easy check is to remove the charger from the lighter socket and see if the problem goes away. If it does then it is most likely the charger.

There is something to be said for buying the oem charger as it 'should' have tested to make sure these sort of things don't happen. Mind you doesn't take much to mess up a radio receiver looking for signals in the microvolt range.

Problem solved with this
Anker-PowerDrive-Speed-2-Quick-Charge-3-0-39w-USB-Car-Charger

I should add after a drive yesterday I discovered that in bad reception areas there is still some interference but overall it's cured the problem

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back