Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

NB Aerokit sideskirts

ch3tman

These don't appear to be too common, especially in the UK, any particular reason?

A few pics from around the web:

szAms6X.jpg

chRg2Xk.jpg

mX24NAK.jpg

W089LmE.png

Thoughts?

sideskirts

I don't think they look that good. I would go for a set of RS side skirts!

Looks ok. Much better than the recently discussed front s h itter. When you look closely on the pic of the yellow car, the kit doesn't align with the rear wheel arch. That's the problem with fitting this stuff ex factory.

Re: sideskirts

stichill99 said:
I don't think they look that good. I would go for a set of RS side skirts!
Yep, the RS side skirts certainly appear to be more popular, though I feel they absolutely require the other bits (front splitters + rear tail) to make it worthwhile... and then you're in 'RS replica' land.

highway said:
Looks ok. Much better than the recently discussed front s h itter. When you look closely on the pic of the yellow car, the kit doesn't align with the rear wheel arch. That's the problem with fitting this stuff ex factory.
I made the same observation. The fitting is a little surprising given these are factory parts, albeit manufactured by TechArt I believe. Maybe it's down to the bodyshop/installer...

I have some RS skirts on the way.. cant wait to get them installed

@ch3tman check your PM :)

highway said:
When you look closely on the pic of the yellow car, the kit doesn't align with the rear wheel arch.
Speed Yellow (and I guess the other bright colours, too) is very unforgiving of any variation in shutlines / panel gaps...

Just don't ask me how many attempts it took me to refit the front PU :wall:

I purchased a set of these from the dealers a few months ago but had nothing but problems with the fitment of them on the car.

First set arrived which did not fit correct and one was very badly shaped. Managed to get down to the third set and they fitted ok, but one side was still not right - No it wasn't the car because I also tried it on a friends 993. Was advised that the side skirt needed to be heating and bent into shape with a little cutting/sanding and then it should be bonded on to the car rather than attached using the tape that Porsche provided.

Decided that I didn't want to risk installing them after the problems I had with fitment so returned them. Its a shame that they cost so much, yet do not fit as good as you would hope (unless I was unlucky 3 times). Trying to find an alternative now, but the only ones I can find are the RS ones which are nice, but not quite what I want. Would love for somebody to create some custom ones that just bolt on so using the OEM locations.....hummm (maybe I need to investigate this option.....)...

They're not common because the areokit option was very expensive when new and not many went for it due to both the cost and the rather aggressive rear spoiler that was included in the package. I don't believe you could specify areokit components separately.

I like the look of the aerokit side skirts - especially with a turbo/S front bumper.

A combo I'd not seen before: Turbo bumper + Aerokit sideskirts:

24075932098_58827d85e9_h.jpg

Nurburger said:
They're not common because the areokit option was very expensive when new and not many went for it due to both the cost and the rather aggressive rear spoiler that was included in the package. I don't believe you could specify areokit components separately.

I like the look of the aerokit side skirts - especially with a turbo/S front bumper.
Thank you for the explanation, very helpful! I wasn't aware they had to be purchased as part of the total kit - not a fan of the rear aerokit spoiler personally (on the other hand, the RS version is very nice).

P996 said:
I purchased a set of these from the dealers a few months ago but had nothing but problems with the fitment of them on the car.

First set arrived which did not fit correct and one was very badly shaped. Managed to get down to the third set and they fitted ok, but one side was still not right - No it wasn't the car because I also tried it on a friends 993. Was advised that the side skirt needed to be heating and bent into shape with a little cutting/sanding and then it should be bonded on to the car rather than attached using the tape that Porsche provided.

Decided that I didn't want to risk installing them after the problems I had with fitment so returned them. Its a shame that they cost so much, yet do not fit as good as you would hope (unless I was unlucky 3 times). Trying to find an alternative now, but the only ones I can find are the RS ones which are nice, but not quite what I want. Would love for somebody to create some custom ones that just bolt on so using the OEM locations.....hummm (maybe I need to investigate this option.....)...
How interesting - thank you for sharing your experience.

I wonder if the poor fitment is down to the parts laying around in storage for excessive periods and perhaps warping due to unfavourable temperature conditions?

- What did OPC have to say about this, especially after the 2nd & 3rd set? Any explanation?
- Was the return easy or did you experience a bit of a fight to prove they are not fit for purpose?
- Who suggested the bonded approach over the tape? I'm surprised tape along would keep these on, but that does seem the normal install method
- Would bonding have meant no going back if you decide to take them off in future?
- Can you share which OPC this was? To ensure someone else doesn't order from them :)
- Maybe try Gert/Carnewal for the same parts, to see how 'new' his stock is?

Feel free to PM me if you feel that's more appropriate!

wonder if the poor fitment is down to the parts laying around in storage for excessive periods and perhaps warping due to unfavourable temperature conditions?

- What did OPC have to say about this, especially after the 2nd & 3rd set? Any explanation?
- Was the return easy or did you experience a bit of a fight to prove they are not fit for purpose?
- Who suggested the bonded approach over the tape? I'm surprised tape along would keep these on, but that does seem the normal install method
- Would bonding have meant no going back if you decide to take them off in future?
- Can you share which OPC this was? To ensure someone else doesn't order from them Smile
- Maybe try Gert/Carnewal for the same parts, to see how 'new' his stock is?

The parts came directly from Germany Porsche through OPC, so if you order from any OPC, they will all come from germany. They returned them with no problems and have been very helpful. I believe that the problem was due to storage of such parts although they didn't give me any details on why.
With regards to the fixing tape, this was part of the fitting kit for the skirts and so I presumed that it would do the job, but when trial fitting them on the car, I could see that they didn't fit right and had to be held in position using quite a bit of force which started the doubting process. I showed a body shop them and they said they would bond it on. Something that i didn't want to do in the event that I wanted to sell the car and the new owner didn't like what had been done. I also saw a 993 in the local OPC during the same time which was in for some work and it had these skirts installed, albeit one had pulled away from the bodywork (in the same area that I identified didn't fit correctly) which further made me worried so I decided not to continue.

Thats the advantage of the RS skirts, they can be removed quite easily and dont require bonding, so the old ones can be put back which is something I like and wanted.

Hope that helps. If you need any further details, PM me.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back