Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Coolant - do I have a leak?

louisiana95

Hi

3 weeks into first 911 ownership, and I love it. 54 plate Carrera 2S with full fat Hartech Rebuild. Such a great car, even at 30mph. I look forward to getting in it, and I always have to have a glance back when I park up

The coolant light came on this week just as I was getting home, so I parked up, and waited until the morning to top up. The level was visible in the reservoir, but I did manage to top up, probably less than half a litre to take it to the top line.

I have not had a 911 before, so keen to know if I may have a problem.

1. Do I have a leak, or is it normal for the cars to lose a bit of coolant?

2. When the light came on and the engine cooled, I could still see the coolant in the reservoir, but I could top up a bit. I assume it only takes a small drop in level to activate the warning?

3. Looks like all hoses at the back were replaced when the rebuild was done. I believe rads are at front, so if I have a leak, I suspect its up front somewhere. Any 'usual places' to check, or is it all covered up?

Appreciate any thoughts

Thanks in advance.

Mark

It is a sealed system so it should not "use coolant".

I think it would take a lot for the coolant light to come on - mine has never come on..

I was loosing coolant over three years, could not find the leak and had to keep topping up and it slowly got worse, until one day I finally started seeing coolant dripping from the exhaust pipe. I changed the water pump and still had the same problem. In the end it turned out to be to a leaking coolant tank.

Get it up on a ramp when warm and look around the back area. Mine recently had a hose go and isn't unusual. Was easily spottable and it's not an expensive part or thing to get fixed. Didn't cause a problem, just had the light come on and the level dropped sharply but didn't get any hotter than usual, and just drove it after topping up with water until I got it fixed a few days later, just didn't drive far!

If its leaking from the rad you should smell a sweet smell when close to it , do you ever smell a sweet smell in the cabin. If it was topped up just before you picked it up it maybe an air block.Sometimes you need to top it up several times while the airlock is sorting its self out . best to just keep an eye on it and see if the level moves or keeps dropping etc . :thumb:

Yep get car up on a ramp and inspect all pipes from rads back to the engine.

The pipes up front are made of chocolate and a known weak spot. I had the near side front pipes replaced under warranty last year.

On the offside pipes i have pink crystals forming , not leaking enough to do under warranty just yet :evil:

Get engine up to temp , turn off and place clean cardboard beneath front and back to try and trace the dripping pipe

I have suffered a serious coolant hose issues/leaks.

They were all replaced and it cost lots.

And the coolant leak light never came on.

I would get it checked quickly.

Hi just back from a trip from Wigan to Nottingham,, before I set off just checked oil and water levels as I only use car at weekends. On way back from Nottingham in the first 10 mins water level warning light came on. I topped up at garage and it came on again on M62,,no sign of a leak just having to top up a lot,,, heater blowing cold as well. Got home slowly and drove car into garage and big drip of red coolant middle to left side of engine. Weirdly when I topped up before we set off a small amount of coolant under cap. Ant ideas ??

Thanks for advice, sounds like a leak then. Cardboard now under the car, lets see what the morning brings.

Cheers

M

louisiana95 said:
Thanks for advice, sounds like a leak then. Cardboard now under the car, lets see what the morning brings.

Cheers

M[/quote

Try and remain optimistic , you never know it might only be a £50 problem. I do know especially with leaks , its a slow diagnosis and considered process of elimination.

I had an old bmw 320i loosing coolant once. Impatient mechanic replaced thermostat, then waterpump, still no joy. Turned out to be a very small concealed crack in the expansion tank. £20 part and 30 mins to replace.

In advance of further into......
Idle speculation:

Expansion tank cap
Expansion tank split under pressure
Corroded pipes to rads
Big hole in rad

Just possibilities, obvs.
Wonder what it'll be?

Did you ever find out?

I've used about 500ml of coolant in the last 300 miles, no sign of a leak any where..Grr

Whitehorse said:
Did you ever find out?

I've used about 500ml of coolant in the last 300 miles, no sign of a leak any where..Grr

Small leaks are a pain im afraid .. i can struggle to find them the same as anyone else !

Couple of things you can check though ..

Car at operateing temp and a/c on .. fans need to be running and smell the air from each front wheel arch , if you get a sweetish smell on one side then you have a small leak on the radiator there .. if unsure what you should be smelling then car cold remove the coolant cap and have a sniff .. its the same thing :)

look at the coolant cap .. its blue .. any white crusty build up on it .. if so its leaking .

If you can get it on a ramp or up on stands and remove any undertrays then your looking for the same as the coolant cap but on any pipe .. antifreeze will leave a tell tail white/pinkish mark from a slow leak.

Put the car on a full lock and check the crossover pipes , see image .. again a residue build up will indicate a slow leak .. biger and it will be like the image .

Attachments

• 845ec76ced869ab6de8fa1f8ef17cf21_904.jpg
    845ec76ced869ab6de8fa1f8ef17cf21_904.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 4,221
  • 03c866065606feaa94bd6824bab2707d_192.jpg
    03c866065606feaa94bd6824bab2707d_192.jpg
    357.4 KB · Views: 4,221

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member