Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Check your alternator fans!

manners

Hi All,

In my recent winter works I have been tidying up my engine bay having had some of parts off for a dizzy rebuild. Whilst I was at it I decided to have my fan housing powder coated a similar shade to the Singer cars.

Whilst I was at it the alternator fan was removed thanks to help from the guys at Heritage Auto Werks and I noticed a small crack in one of the fan blades where it meets towards the center. Greg advised to replace immediately so would recommend you all to take a look to make sure your fans are ok!

That sounds like very good advice.

I had to change my alternator last year which meant removing the fan and I was quite surprised at the state it was in. Hadn't really noticed what a battering had taken when it was fitted to the car but once it was off the car, I could clearly see it gets a bit of a beating somehow given the state of the paint was so chipped and pitted.

Had mine completely power cleaned and inspected it closely before getting it repainted and it looked okay, so I refitted it to the car.

But I did seriously consider replacing it with a new one - until I saw the price!

Hi Gents,

Any chance of some pics of the fan?

ATB :)

Here you go, not sure if this is a common place for the fans to go. They are however magnesium and welding is not really a sensible option given that it needs to be balanced. So new is really the only to go.

GdVUsX.jpg

Thanks for that manners, I will give mine the once over tomorrow :thumb:

ATB :)

Thanks for the heads up, had mine off recently and no such cracks, painted my fan and the housing too.

I'd be interested to see the results of your engine bay refresh, also what did you do to your dissis?.

Cheers
Trev

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back