Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Time for a service

Dave_911

Due for annual service next month. A few questions if I may:

1) I should know this, but which oil are we recommending for a 90k mile Carrera S? Car does 4k miles/year and isn't tracked.

2) Thinking about asking garage to install a new air filter...is there a particular brand/version that people recommend, or just stick with stock?

3) Is it worth sticking a Cold Air Induction kit in at the same time? I can't seem to find a definitive answer as to whether they are worth the hassle.

4) Anything else I should be thinking about whilst it's in?

Thanks,
Dave

1. My car was purchased and serviced by RSJ and they use Mobil 3000 5w40. I know Hartech recommend the Millers NT 10w50.

2. Any reputable brand to OE spec. PORSCHE, MAHLE, K&N

3. Literally just fitted one 5 minutes ago. Having a brew than off for a spin so will let you know.

4. Low temp thermostat if not already done. Plugs and belts if due.

Steve997 said:
1. My car was purchased and serviced by RSJ and they use Mobil 3000 5w40. I know Hartech recommend the Millers NT 10w50.

2. Any reputable brand to OE spec. PORSCHE, MAHLE, K&N

3. Literally just fitted one 5 minutes ago. Having a brew than off for a spin so will let you know.

4. Low temp thermostat if not already done. Plugs and belts if due.

thank for the response
you can see why I get confused on the oil when RSJ and Hartech disagree
very interested to hear what you reckon to the CAIK
LTT and belts all done thankfully

Hi, I've got the cold air induction mod on mine ( 05 C2S ) with the bmc performance air filter and it's a great mod.

The car seems to pick up much better as it's breathing easier and the extra growl above 5k rpm is even better :grin:

Regarding oil, it has to be millers nanotechnology 10w50 fully synthetic.

Well worth the extra few quid. :thumb:

Alfaian said:
Hi, I've got the cold air induction mod on mine ( 05 C2S ) with the bmc performance air filter and it's a great mod.

The car seems to pick up much better as it's breathing easier and the extra growl above 5k rpm is even better :grin:

Regarding oil, it has to be millers nanotechnology 10w50 fully synthetic.

Well worth the extra few quid. :thumb:

great stuff - thanks

Don't worry about the oil too much. There just preferences andd opinions from different Indys .

I spoke with Opie Oils technical department and will try and find their advice.

CAI is a blast. Car sounds amazing above 5k. Only down side is you want to drive everywhere above 5k :D

Steve997 said:
CAI is a blast. Car sounds amazing above 5k. Only down side is you want to drive everywhere above 5k :D

any noise difference below 5k?

does your car have a performance exhaust already?

any noticeable performance gain? (I heard they were good for 50 bhp or so ;))

No noticeable power differenxe no. There maybe a few more bhp if your optimistic but nothing your ever going to notice.

The noise is above 5k. Below that point I wouldnt say much difference tbh.

It's a good mod and I'm glad I did it but you have to be realistic imo. A panel filter and induction pipe are not going to give noticeable gains or make the car sound like a gt3 racer at the ring. Worth doing but don't expect a transformation is the honest advice.

Martian said:
Steve997 said:
....I spoke with Opie Oils technical department and will try and find their advice....

Ah yes, Opie, they gave me incorrect and misleading advice. :x

I have used Millers 5W/40 NT in my Turbo for quite a few years.

What bad advice did Opie give you ????

I remember reading a long thread with a forum member arguing with Baz from Hartech about nano texhnology oil and it's benefits. If I remember rightly even Baz said he wasn't sure if to recommend nano for a turbo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back