Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Porsche Buyers Guides
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 13
997 : 2004- 76
996 : 1997-2005 42
993 : 1993-1998 9
964 : 1989-1993 6
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 1
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 1
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 2
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 1
Boxster : 1997- 10
Cayman : 2005- 19
Cayenne : 2003- 7
Macan : 2014- 4
Panamera : 2009- 2
912-914-924-928-944-968 2
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 1
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

RJW1881
Spa-Francorchamps

2007 Porsche 997 Turbo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turbo is staying..... unless the wife is reading this then the one I like least will be sold in due course....... due course being when I die...... which again if she is reading this could be soon....

Love this, made me chuckle this morning. Well done old boy, great choice of cars. [/b]

NENO

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turbojim997 wrote:

Ahh apologise for that. But she will be taken care of but thoroughly worked out around back roads and tracks of UK and Europe.

Hope you find a GT3 soon we should have a Mk1 owners track day 😂

Definitely no need to apologise Mr. Green
Off to see another this week so we’ll see where that leads.

Turbojim997
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NENO wrote:
Turbojim997 wrote:

Ahh apologise for that. But she will be taken care of but thoroughly worked out around back roads and tracks of UK and Europe.

Hope you find a GT3 soon we should have a Mk1 owners track day 😂

Definitely no need to apologise Mr. Green
Off to see another this week so we’ll see where that leads.

Another Mk1? Good luck and hope you find a peach.

Just been out in the turbo.... now want the GT3 to be here sitting side by side 😭
2015 VW Golf GTD

Slippydiff
Monza

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good car, I viewed it in Oct last year. Thought the pricing was a bit strong for the miles and lack of proper seating.

THE most amazing service history/documentation, hopeless tyres (Pirellis, get them gone immediately), questionable geo set up .... awful gearchange (needs binning, setting up properly or a 997 GT3/GT3 RS item fitting).

Apart from that (oh, and ditching the armchair seating arrangements) enjoy for miles of smiles thumbsup

Turbojim997
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyres will be heading for the bin straight away as I only do Michelin’s.

Got proper buckets from my turbo to go in as agree on the seats. Feel like you are sat on them rather than in them.

Been looking at shifter options, trying to do a deal on some cup cables and either 997 RS shifter with metal bushing or numeric racing one.

With regards to geo settings anyone have a decent set of base numbers to start with then can tweak over the year?
2015 VW Golf GTD

Slippydiff
Monza

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree on Michelins for a road car.
Cup cables ? Probably unnecessary, stick with standard items (fit new if in any doubt) and at 100k miles there will be. Go Gen 2 997 GT3 RS shifter or if you want the best, fit the Manthey unit, but it's not cheap.

Geo, I'd go standard but increase the front and rear cambers a tad, just be aware with some decent tyres on, it'll be lot more pointy than your Turbo (at least if your Turbo is stock). Just as important as geo is the ride heights/front to rear rake.
IIRC the car had new/refurbed dampers and springs fitted by JZM ? if so the ride heights shouldn't be too far out (the rear springs sag with age, and all the springs corrode).

ontheloop
Silverstone

2004 Porsche 996 GT3 Mk2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-gt3-forum/301873-gt3-kussmaul-settings.html

I have lots of info on shifters as I've tried the 997.3 GT3 RS one with standard cables and with cup cables. Now have Numeric with their own cables........

Roro
Long Beach

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the purchase, enjoy Thumb

Turbojim997
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slippydiff wrote:
Cup cables ? Probably unnecessary, stick with standard items (fit new if in any doubt) and at 100k miles there will be. Go Gen 2 997 GT3 RS shifter or if you want the best, fit the Manthey unit, but it's not cheap.

Geo, I'd go standard but increase the front and rear cambers a tad, just be aware with some decent tyres on, it'll be lot more pointy than your Turbo (at least if your Turbo is stock). Just as important as geo is the ride heights/front to rear rake.
IIRC the car had new/refurbed dampers and springs fitted by JZM ? if so the ride heights shouldn't be too far out (the rear springs sag with age, and all the springs corrode).

Cheers for the heads up, seems to be a few options on the shifter. My turbo has a factory fit SSK and is nice and smooth unless it’s really cold. Will do some more reading.

My turbo is on Ohlins and I run it with a bit more rake than normal, soft is front and slightly stiffer rear which has dialled out most of the understeer. It’s a lot pointier than it was but still nothing compared to the Gt3. On the test drive I almost questioned whether everything was ok but a good friend has a 996 RS and said it’s a trait of the car so guess it’s just something new to adapt to. Good excuse to start racking up the miles!

Tyres is a tricky one as looking online the only options as PS2 or Cup2’s. I don’t rate the PS2 so guess cups it if. Annoying the new PS4 are not available for the rear as I run the Ps4S on the turbo and they are brilliant.

Anyway keep the advice coming like to consider all the options
2015 VW Golf GTD

MJA911
Magny-Cours

2006 Porsche 997 GT3

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cup2 tyres on my 7.1GT3 were my first tyre of that type, always PS2 previously. I’ve been very impressed and reassured over the winter so far, they move around a bit in the cold/wet, but not that much more than the PS2. By all accounts they stick like glue in the warm and dry, wouldn’t want to try them in standing water though Surprised

Turbojim997
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear the same about the Cup 2’s. GT3 is for drier days and track days so if it’s really wet and need to get a fix I would just take the turbo instead.

Best get ordering!!
2015 VW Golf GTD

Slippydiff
Monza

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turbojim997 wrote:
Slippydiff wrote:

Cheers for the heads up, seems to be a few options on the shifter. My turbo has a factory fit SSK and is nice and smooth unless it’s really cold. Will do some more reading.

My turbo is on Ohlins and I run it with a bit more rake than normal, soft is front and slightly stiffer rear which has dialled out most of the understeer. It’s a lot pointier than it was but still nothing compared to the Gt3. On the test drive I almost questioned whether everything was ok but a good friend has a 996 RS and said it’s a trait of the car so guess it’s just something new to adapt to. Good excuse to start racking up the miles!

Tyres is a tricky one as looking online the only options as PS2 or Cup2’s. I don’t rate the PS2 so guess cups it if. Annoying the new PS4 are not available for the rear as I run the Ps4S on the turbo and they are brilliant.

When I drove the car it was very "squirrely", I said to Greig immediately that the Pirellis were ruining it. He smiled and said, you know about Pirellis then ?

I do, I had the unfortunate experience of them on two Mk1 GT3's, talk about hopeless.
Get the Cup 2's on and set the geo up to something that works for you, if road use only, don't go too mad on camber or indeed run anything silly like toe out on the front.

I have to politely disagree with your 996 GT3 RS owning friend (they're a very different animal) a Mk1 GT3 with fresh/healthy dampers and springs, good bushes throughout, decent, new, correctly inflated tyres and sensible (road biased) geo is a lovely road car and delight to drive with absolutely minimal tramlining or as some would have you believe, bumpsteer.

If it's otherwise, there's something amiss, but your car felt like it was primarily the Pirellis and the geo set up.

I had to laugh at the nonsense Evo spouted about the car. As I've said above, they're wonderful to drive on the road and all the nonsense about suffering from understeer/oversteer was utter cobblers.

They should try my old car (it's the black Manthey Mk 1 at 911V) it drives beautifully and is stock (suspension wise) apart from Manthey KW's.
It previously ran a set of very expensive 3 way adjustable, remote canister Ohlins, but I don't need to tell you how good the Swedish gold stuff is !!!

Turbojim997
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slippydiff wrote:
Turbojim997 wrote:
Slippydiff wrote:

When I drove the car it was very "squirrely", I said to Greig immediately that the Pirellis were ruining it. He smiled and said, you know about Pirellis then ?

I do, I had the unfortunate experience of them on two Mk1 GT3's, talk about hopeless.
Get the Cup 2's on and set the geo up to something that works for you, if road use only, don't go too mad on camber or indeed run anything silly like toe out on the front.

I have to politely disagree with your 996 GT3 RS owning friend (they're a very different animal) a Mk1 GT3 with fresh/healthy dampers and springs, good bushes throughout, decent, new, correctly inflated tyres and sensible (road biased) geo is a lovely road car and delight to drive with absolutely minimal tramlining or as some would have you believe, bumpsteer.

If it's otherwise, there's something amiss, but your car felt like it was primarily the Pirellis and the geo set up.

I had to laugh at the nonsense Evo spouted about the car. As I've said above, they're wonderful to drive on the road and all the nonsense about suffering from understeer/oversteer was utter cobblers.

They should try my old car (it's the black Manthey Mk 1 at 911V) it drives beautifully and is stock (suspension wise) apart from Manthey KW's.
It previously ran a set of very expensive 3 way adjustable, remote canister Ohlins, but I don't need to tell you how good the Swedish gold stuff is !!!

Ahh to defend my friends honour his cars are all set up predominately for track use rather than Road. I want something more in the middle for sure. Be good to ditch the Pirelli’s might even get RPM to switch them out before I collect and re-align the geo to suit 🤔

I haven’t actually read the EVO article as I don’t actually like the magazine very much but the photos are lovely and that all I care about until I get it home and get some of my own 😂

Would love to put a set of Ohlins on the car but as everything is in tip top order at the min it just seems a wedge of money that could be spent better on track days and tuition (petrol and tyres too). Maybe in a few years when bits need replacing it will be time to get some Swedish on the chassis.
2015 VW Golf GTD

Slippydiff
Monza

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll scan the Evo article and post it in the next couple of days Thumb

Turbojim997
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slippydiff wrote:
I'll scan the Evo article and post it in the next couple of days Thumb

Bob on!! Thumb
2015 VW Golf GTD

Slippydiff
Monza

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go :

Lots of complete nonsense in there. I used to think John Barker was good (I think he was) but this is an extremely poor effort by his usual standards Mad

Slippydiff
Monza

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right click and "Open image in new tab" for full res versions of the pages Thumb

Hoolio

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the GT3 club... Reply with quote

Turbojim997 wrote:
Evening Chaps,

Should be picking up a 996 mk1 GT3 this week for track duties, couldn’t quite stretch to a club sport sadly but does have tequipment cage fitted from new (according to receipts) also has GT2 front brakes and Alcon discs (fitted by OPC from Early life). I have my own seat to go in from my turbo, would loving original units but too much for me when I already have a comfy bucket, to go in.

Masses of receipts for work done over the years so fingers crossed minimal issues should arise.

Just thought I would check in and also is there any recommendations/must haves for the mk1’s other than regular fluid changes and lots of tyres thumbsup

She will never be a garage queen and can’t wait to get first track day book!

Cracking purchase. Enjoy in rude health!

Turbojim997
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slippydiff wrote:
Right click and "Open image in new tab" for full res versions of the pages Thumb

Ahh cheers for the article. Lovely photos not sure on the content Floor
2015 VW Golf GTD

Turbojim997
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the car is home. Not a very exciting drive back due to traffic and general route but what a fantastic little car.
Don’t get me wrong I love driving the turbo and take it whenever I can but the little 996 feels soooooo good to drive.

Really basic and raw, got A/C and possible the most basic stereo since my 205 but that makes it all the better.

How more people haven’t picked up on what great drivers cars these are is beyond me. Makes the 997 felt very refined.

Will get some photos up when I work out how to to do it without photobucket. But check my Instagram in the mean time. Jamessamuel4

Lots of miles coming up!!!
2015 VW Golf GTD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: