Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

1st time out this year -997 turbo

RJW1881

Spa-Francorchamps
So I have a meet arranged today with a few mates. It dawned on me last night the turbo hadn't been out of the garage in 3 months so I had better check it was working before my 8am departure this morning. I hadn't planned on 'putting it away" for winter so hadn't taken an long term storage precautions. I had fitted a new battery in November so wasn't expecting any issues.

Unfortunately the battery was dead flat so I had the rigmarole of jump starting it which is a pain in the arse.

Is it expected that a brand new battery will be dead flat after 3 months of doing nothing or should I be looking for something that's draining it?

Anyway put the trickle charger on last night after taking it for a 30mile run to make sure it's alright. God dam I had forgotten how fast it is and how brutal the power delivery is, really looking forward to my 120 mile round trip today.

I have Bosch batteries and wouldn't expect to leave them for three months. I'd generally top it up about a month to six weeks without use.

If you have a CTEK charger the recond cycle is worth running. Fitting the comfort connect and leaving the plug near the wipers will make charging access easier.

5-6 weeks max is what i expect before it ent flat is what is expect tbh.

My car hadn't been started for 2 months when I fired her up on Thursday. It started at the turn of the key as if it had only been asleep overnight.

The difference = it had been on a CTEK trickle charger.

NB: and my battery is a 3 year old Moll !

ragpicker said:
There is a draw on the battery when the car is switched off and locked up of about 10mA.

Any longer than 2 weeks and you're pushing your luck in my experience.

This ^ 2 to 3 weeks, and then you are on borrowed time.

Its a nice surprise when you do have the first drive in a while, proper missiles !! :thumb:

T8 said:
My car hadn't been started for 2 months when I fired her up on Thursday. It started at the turn of the key as if it had only been asleep overnight.

The difference = it had been on a CTEK trickle charger.

NB: and my battery is a 3 year old Moll !

I would keep an eye on that moll on trickle charge, mine started gassing and weeping acid out the top

Just 10 mAh drain would take months to flatten the battery.

This is the first time I've sorned my car. The last drive out was October and I'll be taxing in March.
I'm so excited it's like burning it all over again :thumbs:

Thanks guys, I have a c-tec charger so will use that but keep an eye on it if I plan on leaving it dormant for any length of time.

By the way, it feels exhilarating to get in the turbo again, warp speed is addictive.

Think I might take it out for a blast again this morning now it's already dirty and the battery is charged.

Who could resist this!?

Attachments

• 268524c6_751d_4afe_99d1_9844de33cbb5_204.jpeg
    268524c6_751d_4afe_99d1_9844de33cbb5_204.jpeg
    118 KB · Views: 3,987
Wow what a garage, why are everyones garages nicer than mine !

Been driving the 996tt all winter, some very slippy moments lol

I had a couple of hairy moments yesterday putting the power down to aggressively with the Sport Cup 2 tyres on! They are not designed for wet roads in 3 degrees C.

I ran the turbo through the winter last year but fitted winter tyres (left them hanging on the wall this year). They make the world of difference, I would highly recommend them.

No garage should be that clean, you dont even have somewhere to store your obligatory bit of wood for stirring old cans of paint

I dont know how you can live like that :floor:

RJW1881 said:
Think I might take it out for a blast again this morning now it's already dirty and the battery is charged.

Who could resist this!?

Great setup. What are the wheels held up with?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclassicauto
Back