Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Gen 1 and Gen 2 Prices

Steve997

Spa-Francorchamps
Not worried about depreciation as it's something I accept owning a car and I bought my car to enjoy and that's enough for me. But what is people's opinion on the market for Gen1 and Gen 2 cars.

Still depreciating, stable after some significant rises in recent years, appreciating, haven't got a clue the 992 arrival and subsequent market increase in used 991 available will mix it up all again?

What do people think ?

My opinion is that, in the short term, values of non GT 997s are likely to stay where they currently are.

They all hit the bottom of their depreciation curve a couple of years ago and have risen since. Equivalent 991s are still depreciating and I can't see them ever being cheaper to buy than a 997 so I reckon that 997 values will be 'capped'.

I can't see the impending 992 affecting 997 values at all.

"I can't see the impending 992 affecting 997 values at all."

Will 991 owners move into 992s? Consequently "flooding" the market with used 991s, bring their value down? If 991s prices start to look more attractive, will 997 owners upgrade to 991s?

You can see what I am getting at. In reality no one knows for certain but I wouldn't rule out any deprecation on 997 values.

T8 said:
My opinion is that, in the short term, values of non GT 997s are likely to stay where they currently are.

They all hit the bottom of their depreciation curve a couple of years ago and have risen since. Equivalent 991s are still depreciating and I can't see them ever being cheaper to buy than a 997 so I reckon that 997 values will be 'capped'.

I can't see the impending 992 affecting 997 values at all.

My theory is that the 997.2 among the anoraks could become sought after as the last of the NA, compact, non EPAS 911s, hence I can envisage a nice manual car fetching more than a 991.

At the moment everyone is presuming that moving from the 997 to the "better"991 will be the automatic choice and at this point in time I would agree with that.

However, in the future a 991 Carrera may not be as desirable as say an equivalent mileage 997.2 4S. Their values seem to be getting closer as time goes by and I can guess, at some point in the future, the value of a Carrera with higher mileage losing ground.

997.1's on the other hand will not, IMHO, because of the more reliable DFI motor (at the moment anyway) :?: and PDK over Tip.

When I bought my car nearly 4 years ago....a 3.5 year old car had a residual value of 50% but last April, when I had finished the finance and was looking to move up to a 991, the values of those cars at 3 years old were at 80% :what: ....so that scuppered that plan.

On the plus side, the local OPC had a very similar spec manual car at £11k more that what I paid for mine, so a private sale should see me achieve something pretty close to what I paid. Although I don't really see the value increasing much in the near future.

Prices need to drop about 35%, so we can start trading up.

....and of course, if I hadn't sold my full history, manual and low mileage 993 Carrera S for £35K 6 years ago, I wouldn't have to pay probably double that to buy one now....

Paul Farrar said:
....and of course, if I hadn't sold my full history, manual and low mileage 993 Carrera S for £35K 6 years ago, I wouldn't have to pay probably double that to buy one now....

Funnily enough was looking at the classified ads of a 2006 Porsche mag the other day... highlights were a nice 993 2S for £36k, and a 16k mile 964RS for £39k! Oh, and £64k for a 3000 miles 2005 C2S... a nice 50k mile 996 TT was £41k, not disimilar to what they fetch now.

The 992 unfortunaitly will never be a proper 911 its lost all the carataristics that make it so.
Therefore the 997.2 and 991 will be the last of the proper 911s , for many the 991.2 is already not a true 911 with its 3ltr turbo engine so only the 991.1 was a true 911 but many say it was the start of Porsches move toward a touring car and away from the sports car that the 911s always been . Therefore for many the 997.2 will be the last true 911 , due to this it will hold its price and may even go up from here. That in turn will drag the 997.1 and 996 models prices up with it as there will always be enthusiasts who for whatever reason whether its cheaper RFL, more analog driver involved driving, or purely budget will be looking to get into a 997.1 or 996.
any flex in the prices will be as it is now ,based on mileage, spec , service history and model type.
That is my opinion :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Phil997s post is a cut and paste from something written in 1998.

The original post was:

The 996 unfortunately will never be a proper 911. It's lost all the characteristics that make it so. Therefore the 993 and 964 will be the last of the proper 911s. For many the 996 was the start of Porsches move toward a touring car and away from the sports car that the 911s always been . Therefore for many the 993 will be the last true 911 , due to this it will hold its price and may even go up from here. That in turn will drag the 964 prices up with it as there will always be enthusiasts who for whatever reason whether its cheaper RFL, more analog driver involved driving, or purely budget will be looking to get into a 993 or 964. Any flex in the prices will be as it is now, based on mileage, spec , service history and model type.

They were right. Maybe he will be too. :dont know:

ps. :wink:

Robertb said:
Paul Farrar said:

Funnily enough was looking at the classified ads of a 2006 Porsche mag the other day... highlights were a nice 993 2S for £36k, and a 16k mile 964RS for £39k! Oh, and £64k for a 3000 miles 2005 C2S... a nice 50k mile 996 TT was £41k, not disimilar to what they fetch now.
I'm still not over the 997.1 GT3RS i almost bought for £68k with 15k miles on the clock.
The 997.2 C2S is the sleeper in that range. It will be more desirable as the years go on

I've almost had my 997.1 2 years now and from what I see it's retained its value or at worst only dropped a few % so that has to be good news.
The equivalent spend on a BMW or Merc would now have me in tears.
I don't follow prices on 997.2 or 991 as they are out of reach for me so I just enjoy what I have.

:grin:

Oh goodie, another wassitworth thread, its been at least 5 minutes since the last one :)

(Ive had my gen 2 S for 4 and a half years, put amost 50k miles on it, and as far as i can tell it worth about 5k less than i paid for it, cheapest car ive had in 20 years, i lost 16k in 2 years on a bloody 1 series bmw)

T8 said:
Phil997s post is a cut and paste from something written in 1998.

The original post was:

The 996 unfortunately will never be a proper 911. It's lost all the characteristics that make it so. Therefore the 993 and 964 will be the last of the proper 911s. For many the 996 was the start of Porsches move toward a touring car and away from the sports car that the 911s always been . Therefore for many the 993 will be the last true 911 , due to this it will hold its price and may even go up from here. That in turn will drag the 964 prices up with it as there will always be enthusiasts who for whatever reason whether its cheaper RFL, more analog driver involved driving, or purely budget will be looking to get into a 993 or 964. Any flex in the prices will be as it is now, based on mileage, spec , service history and model type.

They were right. Maybe he will be too. :dont know:

ps. :wink:

:floor: :floor: I like what you did there Tel :grin: :grin: at first I almost believed you and was thinking how could it be so similar to what I wrote :thumb: :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autocraft1
Back