Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Best 911 for learning track driving

jonjames91

Hello folks, first post, here goes...

I want to get into track driving and aim to develop skills so I can drive at Nurburgring. When I recently did the 911 GT and 911 Turbo S Porsche Experience at Silverstone my instructor advised against buying a GT3 or Turbo S to learn in and suggested I cut my teeth in a Carrera base model. 'You wouldn't jump straight into a Harrier Jump Jet without learning in Cessna first" was the analogy.

To this end I am looking at the 991.1 Carrera which is the lowest powered 911 I could find at 350 HP. I am avoiding the Carrera S models and I want a naturally aspirated engine avoiding turbos and low end torque. The 991.1 Carrera S has around 400 HP and the non S 991.2 Carrera, the same.

I'd be looking at the following spec to ensure the car is best equiped for track driving. Porsche Active Suspension Management, PDK gearbox, Sport Chrono Package Plus, Sports Exhaust. I'm not sure if Porsche Torque Vectoring is important.

I am keen to do the five day Academy track programme with CATdriving and ultimately want to get myself a GT3 (Turbo S if off the shortlist).

So what are your thoughs please? Does this approach make sense or should I learn in the car I will end up with, namely a GT3? Have I chosen the right car in terms of getting the lowest powered 911 around? Thanks in advance!

You're obviously not short of a few bob so I'll pitch my suggestion accordingly.

In your position I'd go for a Gen2 3.6 Carrera and strip out all the un-necessary for track bits. I'd then fit a roll cage, uprate the brakes and do as many UK track days as I could taking as much instruction as possible.

Have fun

ps. :welcome: to 911uk. Keep us posted re what you decide. :thumb:

jonjames91 said:
Hello folks, first post, here goes...

I want to get into track driving and aim to develop skills so I can drive at Nurburgring. When I recently did the 911 GT and 911 Turbo S Porsche Experience at Silverstone my instructor advised against buying a GT3 or Turbo S to learn in and suggested I cut my teeth in a Carrera base model. 'You wouldn't jump straight into a Harrier Jump Jet without learning in Cessna first" was the analogy.

To this end I am looking at the 991.1 Carrera which is the lowest powered 911 I could find at 350 HP. I am avoiding the Carrera S models and I want a naturally aspirated engine avoiding turbos and low end torque. The 991.1 Carrera S has around 400 HP and the non S 991.2 Carrera, the same.

I'd be looking at the following spec to ensure the car is best equiped for track driving. Porsche Active Suspension Management, PDK gearbox, Sport Chrono Package Plus, Sports Exhaust. I'm not sure if Porsche Torque Vectoring is important.

I am keen to do the five day Academy track programme with CATdriving and ultimately want to get myself a GT3 (Turbo S if off the shortlist).

So what are your thoughs please? Does this approach make sense or should I learn in the car I will end up with, namely a GT3? Have I chosen the right car in terms of getting the lowest powered 911 around? Thanks in advance!

Hello

It somewhat also depends on your budget, if you are aiming for a GT3 then no point getting a 991 Carrera at close to GT3 money

You can get great value from a 996 and 997 Carrera or Carrera S that are excellent track cars with probably 99% of the ability of the 991 but at over half the cost if you want to start with a 911

As an example here is a Manual 360hp 997 Carrera S for £29k
https://www.rsjsportscars.co.uk/porsche_for_sale/porsche-911-997-2s-fyu/

and here is the 325hp 997 Carrera for the similar money
http://www.dovehousecars.com/car/1079-porsche-911-997--3-6-carrera-coupe

or a 385hp Gen 2 997 Carrera S for £38k
https://www.cameronsportscars.com/used-vehicle-details/Porsche-911-U579/

I am with T8, unless you are buying a 991 GT car I feel you would be better suited to learn in the more driver involved and less refined 997 model you can buy one considerably less than a 991 the track focussed mods are readily available as you would expect from a car thats 5 to 7 yrs old . If you dink it theres a ready supply of parts at the breakers or ebay.
Buy a 997.2S mid 30k spend 10k making it track ready and bank the difference that a 991 would cost you and put that toward training ,trackdays and /or a gt3 when your ready.
Dont think that newer is better as thats very much not the case with Porsche 911s and many many guys would tell you that the even less refined and more driver focused 996 would be an even better option to cut your cloth in.

and whether your ave joe or very wealthy, I would be suggesting the same as its more about what car will give you the best feel for the track and more driver imvolved and with the exception of the 991 GT cars IMO its the 997 or 996

hope that helps :thumb: :thumb:

Thank you so much for your replies! Really good advice and armed with that, I can now research the slightly older models. I'm a couple of months away from being able to get a car and the cheaper the better given I'm a complete novice, albeit with a lot of sim experience.

I'll also look into the finding good garages that can carry out the track work.

I cut my teeth in an MX5 which is a fantastic little chassis. Being under powered it taught me how to get the car set up to my driving style and how to carry speed through the apex. On many occasions, I would give the hurry to to much more powerful cars in the right sections of circuits.
It's a great car for feel, much like a caterham. You know exactly what's going on underneath you.
What ever you choose, you'll have a blast learning.

Phil 997 said:
and whether your ave joe or very wealthy, I would be suggesting the same as its more about what car will give you the best feel for the track and more driver imvolved and with the exception of the 991 GT cars IMO its the 997 or 996

Sound advice ^^^

You will learn a lot more in a lighter more focussed car and be surprised what you can get out of a stripped out 996 3.4 with a good track suspension set up, it'll run rings around a 991 Carrera. You just won't look rich on track which for some it is all about having the latest car, personal preference.

infrasilver said:
Phil 997 said:

Sound advice ^^^

You will learn a lot more in a lighter more focussed car and be surprised what you can get out of a stripped out 996 3.4 with a good track suspension set up, it'll run rings around a 991 Carrera. You just won't look rich on track which for some it is all about having the latest car, personal preference.

Agreed you may not look super rich, but you certainly will look like you have come to seriously Race , which the ave guy in a brand new GT3RS doesn't look like and mostly doesn't drive like .There are lots of vids on you tube showing guys in older 911s flying past the new GT3RS whos only there to tick the box that says he's done the ring etc. :thumb:

What are you looking to get out of track driving?

Are you looking to lap quickly? Or do you wish to learn car craft?

If the latter, you will be wanting a clutch pedal and a manual gearbox and Rear wheel drive - In addition the less driver aids you have the better, this will allow you to learn what is going on with the car, as oppose to the car fixing mistakes without your knowledge and giving a false sense of security.

The more analog the more you will learn and more rewarding the experience, as already touched upon a Caterham is an awesome tool to learn in with zero driver aids, not even ABS!

If cash is no object, get a 996 GT3, its as analog as modern 911's come, if it is look for a C2 manual and add a few choice upgrades.

If you just want to lap quickly, get anything with a semi-auto gearbox, 350+bhp and a truckload of driver aids.

Interesting idea. I would have thought that - with a decent budget - you'd be best off in a simple, cheap and track prepared car, with buckets, harnesses, cage, semi-slicks, spare rims and loads of pads and discs.

And a friendly motorsport garage to provide support.

Not to mention, a trailer and a Transit full of spares.

As such, the older BMWs, MX5s, and Caterhams all make sense.

In short, you'll need to be prepared to crash it, get it home, get it fixed, and not regret it.

You could then migrate to a faster, ex-race car, maybe a Cup car or some such, and enjoy your trackery that way.

MaxA said:
Interesting idea. I would have thought that - with a decent budget - you'd be best off in a simple, cheap and track prepared car, with buckets, harnesses, cage, semi-slicks, spare rims and loads of pads and discs.

And a friendly motorsport garage to provide support.

Not to mention, a trailer and a Transit full of spares.

As such, the older BMWs, MX5s, and Caterhams all make sense.

In short, you'll need to be prepared to crash it, get it home, get it fixed, and not regret it.

You could then migrate to a faster, ex-race car, maybe a Cup car or some such, and enjoy your trackery that way.

I would counter that with a 996 or 997, compliant to get to and from the track and still as capable around it

Still a mid engine early Cayman is equally a fine purchase and is probably the best mainstream handling Porsche outside of the GT brands

wasz said:
Just get a caterham, will be miles more fun and educational. You also won't be so scared of gravel traps.

Once the craft is learnt, a gt3 would be a fantastic road/track toy.

Agreed :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back