Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New Boots

Les Richards

Afternoon all, I haven't bought tyres for many, many years but now need to replace all four on the 993.

Currently have Pirelli PZero

What's my best course of action?

Black Circles, Elite Tyres, Design 911 or trawl the local Kwik-Fit type places?

I'm in Harlow, Essex, btw.

Thanks.

p zero at kwik fit , ive had about 7 lots done by them , they are careful but let them know you are sitting close by with one eye looking on , i always remind them of tyre pressures and torque settings and clean my wheels thoroughly first other wise they can scratch them when gripping a hold of them.

Do your research re pricing on the sites you mentioned and then go to a decent local tyre shop and haggle a little. It has always worked for me and you have the benefit of free fitting.

My money would go on Michelins followed closely by Bridgestones. I've never got on with Pirelli's.

C.

Recently used Event Tyres.

They messed up my booking completely and I had to wait an extra 4 day for the to come.

All good when fitting but chatting with the fitter he said that the company is not what it was as it was sold to the AA last year.

Also might be worth comparing prices between the AA and Event seeing as they are now the same company.

Les Richards said:
Any particular problem with Pirellis?

Just my personal preference. I find them too hard and the sidewalls for me have always cracked well before their 6/7 year lifespan.

I've had them on BMW's & Porsches and changed them pretty much straight away upon new ownership.

C.

new boots

mitchelin pilot sports from tyre leeder they deliver them to a garage in harlow . ill be getting mine deliverd there in a couple of weeks .I'm getting ps 4s not Porsche approved but a lot more advanced than the ps2s .I'm not sure they come in 17s

Black Circles for Michelins - fitted as suits. Our local ATS is well run, for example - BC deliver the tyres directly to them and are cheaper than they can offer by sourcing the tyres tthemselves, and they are hg happy as they still make something on the arrangement.

Hi johne, which garage do you use in Harlow?

It appears from the Tyre Leader site that there is a charge for fitting - have I got that right?

new boots

there was a charge for fitting and balancing .but I was pleased with the service .it was on a small industrial estate. ill probably order my tyres this week and let you know the address sorry cant remember there name at the moment

Afternoon all, thanks for your feedback so far.

Well, I'm still trawling the well known and, perhaps, not so well known sources. and having regular lie-downs as I try and make sense of it all.

Design 911 want £15 per tyre for fitting and disposal of the old one; the Tyre Leader-linked garage local to me want £12 per tyre so that needs to be factored in. Not sure if these charges are reasonable or not.

One option mentioned was Bridgestone but I'm noticing that many of their tyres are now described as run-flat, as indeed are quite a few makes.

Is this an issue with Porsche/911s?

Are these the same principle as the Denovo tyres once specified on the Mini Clubman does anyone know?

Thanks.

Bridgestone S-02 or S-02A are the kiddies. Available in Porsche sizes on most tyre sites.

Stay away from runflats.

C.

I've used N rated Bridgestone S02A's on my 993 for the last 10 years and have found no issues with them.

PH5121 said:
I've used N rated Bridgestone S02A's on my 993 for the last 10 years and have found no issues with them.

Ditto. I have a set on my car now and was very impressed with them last year.

Got another set of Speedlines going on soon with Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2's and i'm interested to see just how sticky they are in comparison.

C.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back