Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Condensation...

stefant

Trainee
Hi there,

I have noticed that I seem to be getting a lot of condensation on the front and rear windows of my 996 Targa recently, maybe it has always been like that I have only just noticed.

Before I start the search for a leak, is it normal to get condensation when parked up over night outside. I am used to new cars that don't seem to suffer with this

thanks in advance!

Start by checking each carpet and see if they're wet. You can slip your hand under each rear one and feel the sponge backing just under the front of the rear seat on the floor pan. Check both fronts too.

thanks all - I will start the investigation! it has always been fine so something must have changed... I remember cleaning out all the drain holes in the summer...

thanks again

All? Including your rear ones behind your rear speakers that drain out behind the rear wheel arch liner?

how do you get to the ones behind the rear speakers? now you mention it it doesn't sound like I cleared all of them!

Does anyone have a picture of the location of the drain holes

Remove the front part of the rear wheel liner and you'll see a drain hole.....probably bunged up like this:

gunk.jpg

I had a similar problem on mine, turned out to be the little drain tube on the targa roof. Every time the roof is opened a small flexible rubber tube dislodges from the gutter under the roof. When the window is closed the rubber tube re engages itself into the gutter.
Mine had started to remain dislodged when the roof was closed which meant rain water was leaking into the rear near side footwell causing condensation.
All that was required was adjustment of the drain tube.
Hope this helps.

Bit of an update (for everyone that was having trouble sleeping with the worry of what was causing the condensation)!

Having checked all the drain holes on the targa, they are all clear. Tried hosing water over the car when inside, all clear.

It's been stored in my garage for the last two weeks and is condensation free, took it for a spin on Friday and after I parked up I started to get condensation...

My thinking is it has to be something to do with the aircon, maybe the aircon drain pipe isn't working, or has maybe come disconnected?
I think it is under the passenger dash somewhere?

Any advice

Ok on a Targa there are several roof parts that can leak ..

Check the carpets behind the front seats to see if they are damp .. if so the front glass drain tubes have split .

Check under the rear base seats .. if wet its front glass seal or rear drain tubes leaking .

remove the panel under the rear screen .. it just pulls forward or look in the hand book ..

If the foam either side is wet by the drain tubes then the rear drains are either blocked or leaking .

A/C pipe is n/s/f and on the left of the center consol .. head into the passenger footwell and see if the pipe is connected , you cant miss it really .. usually held in place with a cable tie .

Btw is the a/c actually working .. if not then with any water in the car you will get misty windows after a run .

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=116450

Attachments

• drain_pipe_176.jpg
    drain_pipe_176.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 4,417
OP do you have a rear wiper by any chance mine has leaked in the past and caused a condensation problem Demort helped me sort it out :thumb:

Had a condensation problem a couple of weeks ago as i have just started taking the car out in the cold weather.

Both door membranes defective. Now replaced, problem has gone!!

I've had the same thing start on my Targa - a lot of condensation and I mean a LOT. Enough to soak a hand towel once I've wiped down the windscreen and glass roof.

Will investigate this weekend and report back but I am suspecting worn seals on the rear window or roof.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alanjf
Back