Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

C4S brake line costs?

gilessav

Morning all,

Anyone know of the rough price of having the brake lines which run down the side of the car replaced?

Ones over engine are fine as replaced 3 years ago but side ones showing signs of corrosion.

Getting a price from my indie but interested if people have done this and have a price? Guess parts are one thing but imagine its a fiddly job for labour?

cheers,

Giles.

Indie has come back with around £100 in parts and 2-3 hrs labour if it all goes well. Seems cheaper than I was imagining?

front right caliper bleed nipple might be on the edge so might need to get that repaired if possible or its £550 for a new one..ouch.....

anyone had their caliper nipples re-tapped?

Quick update:

Took the car into Wrightune this am and looking at the brake lines when the covers are removed, then the one running over the front of the car also showing signs of corrosion.

Have decided to do all of them so a full day's labour effectively, more than first thought but may as well get the job done properly as a rather important element to the car!

Having not needed to attend to much recently then Feb is proving to be a costly month.....

At least with Tony, you know if he says something needs doing, then it does.

Problem is that 4Ss are getting quite old now... hard to believe mine is coming up to 15 yrs old, and its been well used, so bits of the underside are quite corroded. Bodywork seems fine, which is a relief... need to get the various plastic covers off and give it a proper clean.

Indeed! they likely would have lasted a year or two more but quite an important part of the car so best to get them sorted now and take the hit!

seams on the PSE boxes on the clamshells looking alittle rough but hopefully i'll get another year or two out of them as they have looked like that the last 4 years...

Brake line materials are cheap enough, it's worth getting corrosion resistant lines, Kunifer is best, and stainless fittings.

If your replacing flexible hoses too try http://www.helperformance.com. They also do good stainless nipples.

The best way to look at it is that you will probably only do this once .

As said .. the cars are getting older now and even the garaged ones away from the coast will suffer sooner or later .

My way of telling customers is .. just keep on top of it , do a bit at a time and dont put off things if you can as if you do there will always be more and an expensive bill when you get around to them.

A lot of things that are done are a one off .. if you bury it in waxoil or equivelent :D

Agree Dermot, the Indie was not pushing the extra work and forewarned me the brake lines around the front of the car are a git; but they were showing signs (if not quite as bad as the side lines) so better to bite the bullet than do a half-arsed job. Luckily the ones over the engine/gearbox were done 3 years ago and still look new.

did spot a slight misting around the RMS/IMS area but not dropping any oil and this seems pretty standard. the RMS and IMS seal were replaced 3 years ago and been bone dry since; hopefully it stays that way and is just a slight misting.

Quick update here,

Car not ready yet as the brake lines going across the front also needed doing and a pig of a job! Then found an additional pipe once apart which made sense to change.

then as feared the caliper nipple sheared when bleeding so waiting on a mobile guy to come out and try and repair rather than blowing £550 on a new caliper.

I'm going to need a deep breath before I see the total cost I think :eek:

Try the lot that Phil linked above, if the mobile guy cant make any progress.

Fook me £550 for a caliper :sad:

Interesting what you say Demort- I have an ever-lengthening to do list, will get them done this year as it otherwise would have been a cheap year with a minor service after last years 96k mile £trauma.

I just been through this.

My steering rack hard lines (also steel) rusted through. So I had those replaced (£38 part) and did the OSF front brake line at the same time while the rack was dropped as it was manky.

My gearbox is out so I did the OSR brake line (fiddly).

Also the one (pasm has two) running down the side of the car from the NSF (easy) as it was corroded under the plastic cover.

I did all my brake lines in kunifer, £12 for 25ft.

Check your flexis - I paid a tenner each. Check the little hard lines from flex to caliper.

One brake nipple was long snapped off and with a drill bit embedded. I paid £54 for a local engineering company to drill out, and also remove the rounded pipe fitting on the back. You don't need a new caliper.

Steering rack hard lines: £38 http://www.powersteeringstore.co.uk/porsche Check yours while you have access!!!!

This well stuck snapped nipple with hardened drill bit stuck in it was mounted on the mill and drilled out accurately.

Urx9khd.jpg

£54 later at https://www.lancasterengines.co.uk:

Q2lwIWy.jpg

I have a new stainless nipple for it.

Is it easy to inspect the condition of one's nipples (ahem) without doing more harm than good? It is worth a squirt of WD40 or somesuch?

Ps I like the toybox in the pic Wasz!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back