Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Porsche Buyers Guides
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 11
997 : 2004- 74
996 : 1997-2005 41
993 : 1993-1998 8
964 : 1989-1993 6
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 1
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 1
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 2
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 1
Boxster : 1997- 10
Cayman : 2005- 16
Cayenne : 2003- 7
Macan : 2014- 4
Panamera : 2009- 2
912-914-924-928-944-968 2
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 1
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

MisterCorn
Zolder

2004 Porsche 996 Turbo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for the tip, exactly the kind of thing that makes this forum so great. Thumb

Today's job was to remove the centre console and CD holder. I will be going with a GT3 centre console delete, so the cd holder was coming out anyway. The lid on the centre console doesn't stay down, there is some damage to one part of it, I want to paint it body colour and also plan to retrim the covers, not to mention a change to the gear lever. So it all has to come out. Fortunately this is a pretty straightforward job.

Start by pulling the side covers off the cd holder. Pull them out at the back and they will then slide off the front clips. If you pull at the front you WILL break the tabs on the centre part. I know because I did this on the first one...

Pull out the cubby hole, cd holder, and small plastic infill triangle. Easiest way to remove the CD holder is to eject a couple of the trays and pull on those.

Next pull off the two carpet trim pieces behind the first trim panels. These just pull outwards. There are two screws on each side of the cd holder trim, remove these.

Pull up the gear gater and undo the bolt underneath it.

You can then remove the centre piece from the car. I had to undo some wires for the phone interface which was also fitted. This will all be removed.

To remove the main centre console, pull up on the ashtray lid to remove it, undo the clip for the light in there. Then undo the two screws underneath which hold the switch surround in place. Lift this up and remove the wires for the electric windows, noting which order the connectors are in.

There is another screw under hear which must also be removed.

Unclip the cover at the side of the handbrake, it goes outwards at the top to unclip and then lifts upwards. Mine already had one broken tab at the top.

Lift the lid to the compartment tray and remove the screw at the back of it.

The base then lifts up and there should be a screw underneath, this was missing on mine. Remove it.

Remove the gear lever, this is held on with a 5mm allen bolt.

There is a metal bracket at the front of the centre console held down with 4 nuts. Remove this as well otherwise the console won't move far enough to clear the bracket. This needs to be removed anyway for the GT3 centre console delete.

Then the console can lift out of the car.

There is clear wear around the gear linkage, not helped due to the plastic bushes used. Also further evidence of some dog hair around the place wherever there is room. I'm looking forward to giving the inside a really good clean.

This is a super easy job, start to finish in about 30 minutes including buggering around taking photos and walking between two garages for tools. I will probably wait until I pull the console out of my C2 in the near future to decide which one to paint, as this one has some damage to it. At least I can look at covering the panels though.

MC

alex yates
Donnington
Donnington

2000 Porsche 996 Carrera 4

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff. Hardest bit is getting it over the handbrake. Are you fitting an ssk whilst in there?

wasz
Watkins Glen

1999 Porsche 996 Carrera 2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got to do this too, as I have got a low mileage standard 997 shorter mechanism to go in. I will follow your guide!

997/987 mechanism is apparently halfway between standard and short shift.

I do have a £20 chinese SSK here too, but having tried in other cars I think I prefer the 997 shift.

My old one is a bit sloppy so needs swapped out.

MisterCorn
Zolder

2004 Porsche 996 Turbo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex yates wrote:
Great stuff. Hardest bit is getting it over the handbrake. Are you fitting an ssk whilst in there?

Yes I will be fitting an SSK, probably the 997 GT3 but not 100% sure yet. I have the Manthey quickshift in my Turbo which I really like, but I think that now the GT3 is a good option.

MC

MisterCorn
Zolder

2004 Porsche 996 Turbo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still rather frustrated that I can't get the car on the ramp yet to give it a good going over underneath, but I might start to remove the bumpers and lights anyway. In the mean time I have removed a couple of aircon pipes to gain better access to the wiring loom in the scuttle area so that I can wrap it up in loom tape. No real need for it, I just think it looks a lot neater.

The aircon had no gas at all in it, I expect that the condensers will be shot or it will be the joint at the back just in front of the near side rear wheel. Time will tell.

MC

MisterCorn
Zolder

2004 Porsche 996 Turbo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a small update, I have removed the wiper motor assembly for cleaning, also to enable me to remove the bracket behind it to give better access to the cover which I need to replace. Just 3 10mm bolts and it is out. Four more bolts required for the bracket behind it. I will probably change the cover sooner rather than later in case the car needs to sit outside. Access is as good as it will get now. I also taped up some more wired under there and removed the lights for cleaning and amberectomy.

MC

willy
Trainee

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having only just caught up on this, I got a heat gun to my scuttle yesterday.

Euphemisms aside, it worked a treat!

Word of warning though - the scuttle softens considerably whilst hot so don't touch it with the gun unless you want a unique design!

Saw

MisterCorn
Zolder

2004 Porsche 996 Turbo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be giving that a go and will report back soon.

Whilst the wiper mechanism is off I thought I would give it a bit of a clean. The wiper pivots run in bushes and are held in my circlips. After cleaning the exterior these were removed and the insides cleaned, regreased, and reassembled.

All of the aluminium parts will get a coating of ACF-50 before it goes back on.

MC

infrasilver
Fast & Furious
Fast & Furious

2001 Porsche 996 Targa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just done this wiper job on a Seat Ibiza, the shaft seized in the tube and the wipers were running very very slow, corrosion between the aluminium and steel caused the issue. Worth greasing up if you ever have the wiper off.

PeterS
Fuji

2003 Porsche 996 Carrera 2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff MC. I fitted the SSK in my 996 but didnt like it so took it out again. Wayne/Kelly had it off me for the 996.

MisterCorn
Zolder

2004 Porsche 996 Turbo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Removed the rear seats and belt buckles. The bases of the seats are held in with Velcro and just pull out. To remove the backs the splined bolt on the outside of the edge of the seats is removed.

These are a bit of a strange bolt which I can’t think I have seen anywhere else. The base can then be pulled to the side to remove. The buckle bolt has a plastic cover on it which is pretty tight, it just requires a flat screwdriver to get underneath near the clips and careful lever it off. Knowing where the clips are really helps.

The belts themselves will be removed when I take off the rear trim.

I have been looking at roll cages. The Tecquipment one, whilst offering somewhere for harnesses to attach, doesn’t appear to add any extra rigidity to he chassis. I am currently leaning towards the Safety Devices 6 point bolt-in cage with single door bars. I want something that isn’t too obtrusive, will give somewhere to attach a harness if I go that route, can be removed if needed, and will add to the chassis stiffness. This one seems to tick all of those boxes. Any thoughts or opinions welcome!

MC

MisterCorn
Zolder

2004 Porsche 996 Turbo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new foam for the heater matrix cover has arrived. To ease access to the old one the air con pipe which runs in front of it was removed.

Then the heater pipes clamped and undone, only a small amount of coolant came out.

The old cover was then removed. Whilst I was in here I undid the two screws which hold the heater matrix in place and then released the clip each side so that it can be lifted out for inspection. I have read of these leaking and causing problems so best to check.

The bottom of the matrix looks very good, no signs of any leakage anywhere.

The area where they butyl sealant goes was all cleaned up, ready for it to go back together.

MC

MisterCorn
Zolder

2004 Porsche 996 Turbo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing the new and the old next to each other, you can see where the old one had been munched.

Heater matrix refitted and a final clean up before fitting the new foam.

The new foam has a paper backing. As advised I cut a large chunk out of the centre to allow the foam to be fitted, then when in place I removed the paper backing and pressed it down all the way around the edge to make sure it is well stuck.

Not a difficult job to do, the part which takes the longest is just removing all of the parts you need to move to get to it, and cleaning everything up along the way.

MC

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: