Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

OBD2 Scanner to read coolant temp

Steve997

Spa-Francorchamps
My foxwell NT301 scanner I used on my old BMW will look at generic codes on the 997 but it won't read coolant temp as live data.

Anyone got a recommendation on a reliable and cheapish obd2 scanner for a 997.1 that will read live coolant temp data?

I would look at one of the ELM327 based Bluetooth ones, they are super cheap and with the right software should be able to give you that as live data.

MC

Cheers pal. My only concern with the elm327 is 99.9% are Chinese rip offs and you run the risk of getting a virus in your ECU.

Good suggestion though and will try and search a branded own spec Bluetooth device

I wouldn't worry about getting a virus in the ECU, there's no chance of that.

Done a little more research and yes your right it doesn't say a virus is likely thats was just a 3rd party comment in conversation so probably unrelaiable. Thanks for your comment.

One thing being suggested is the cheaper elm327 Bluetooth modules on eBay are clones that many have poor build / connections that fail, pid data that won't work or worse the unit won't connect to your car at all.

I want to use Torque Pro in android to look at coolant temp and oil temp mainly. The torque website recommends the OBDlink LX Bluetooth module but it's £90 and the clones are more tempting at 3 or 4 quid.

I guess you get what you pay for like most things in life.

Anyone using a particular Bluetooth scanner that works with Torque Pro on android that they would recommend?

I have a Vgate icar 3 I use with IOS. It's likely to be fine on Android.

Don't know, I use Durametric for that. I looked like basic data and fault clearing when I used it last.

Cheers Alex :thumb:

Unfortunately the link says the item has been removed and is blank.

As it happens I bought a cheap Wi-fi ELM327 from eBay last week (I have an iPhone so need Wi-fi for IOS rather than Bluetooth) just to see if there were any error codes I was unaware of having recently bought the car.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/261791217541

I downloaded a free app called Car Scanner and it connected first time, shows revs, coolant temp, speed, live data from sensors, DTC codes and a lot more. I was quite impressed for a free app & a unit that works for under a tenner. :thumbs:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back