Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

What trailer to buy?

Trap 125

Spa-Francorchamps
I'm thinking about buying a trailer for my 996 GT3 and possibly very occasionally the 993.

I'm after any opinions on what would be a good trailer to go for and any tips on towing and tying the car down, as I haven't done it before :eek: I thought circa 3k would be a reasonable budget... :dont know:

Any advice would be much appreciated...

I run a Brian James triple axle, it will carry just about anything. Look for a tow vehicle which can take 3500kg. A tilting trailer is great for low cars. Reverse the car on to the trailer to keep the heaviest part close to the tow vehicle.

MC

MisterCorn said:
I run a Brian James triple axle, it will carry just about anything. Look for a tow vehicle which can take 3500kg. A tilting trailer is great for low cars. Reverse the car on to the trailer to keep the heaviest part close to the tow vehicle.

MC

Do you mean a vehicle that can tow up to 3500kg or a trailer that can carry 3500kg?

A car that can tow 3500kg, and a trailer which can take a combined weight of 3500kg. I use a Range Rover, great for the job.

MC

MisterCorn said:
A car that can tow 3500kg, and a trailer which can take a combined weight of 3500kg. I use a Range Rover, great for the job.

MC

Thank you. Do you think a 4.5m or 5m trailer is long enough? The load bed length that is...

Trap 125 said:
Thank you. Do you think a 4.5m or 5m trailer is long enough? The load bed length that is...

4.5 might be a squeeze, as car is around that. 5m should do it.

Brian James make good trailers, many for motorsport use so there is probably a low deck, tilt deck even, to suit low cars.

£3k may be optimistic for a new one but you should be able to find a used one.

Great, thank you.

Any tips on the best way of securing the car to the trailer?

Most of the people I know use a towbar :D

Sorry couldnt resist on a more serious note you need 4 load straps and tie down two facing the front and two facing the back so when braking/accelarating the car is held both ways,checkout ebay plenty tie down sets including tyre slings

Gazc2 said:
Sorry couldnt resist on a more serious note you need 4 load straps and tie down two facing the front and two facing the back so when braking/accelarating the car is held both ways,checkout ebay plenty tie down sets including tyre slings

:hand: Thanks. That makes sense.

Trap 125 said:
crash7 said:
Use the wheels, there are specific ratchet straps available, one on each.

Also be sure to get a winch.

http://www.brianjames.co.uk/range/accessory_details.aspx?id=5

Thanks. Why would I need a winch?

Funnily enough, on Saturday afternoon, we were having a look at a used junior rally car, and it wasn't the easiest think to drive back onto the trailer as the handbrake was shagged, the foot brake was extremely stiff ... not to mention the competition clutch and race engine and full studded ice tyres.

If it was mine, I'd prefer a winch, like on all our boat trailers.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back