Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Tiptronic Car - Cold Air Induction Kit

Steve997

Spa-Francorchamps
Think of purchasing a Cold Air Induction Kit for a 997.1 C2S Tiptronic.

Would like a little more induction noise and seems a cheap mod.

https://www.design911.co.uk/mobile/#part;id=766

Doing some research and on the 996 tiptronic cars there is a breather pipe from the tiptronic gearbox which connects to the oem plastic pipe between the throttle body and the airbox. The CAI induction kit replaces this oem plastic pipe with some silicone pipe which does not have provision to connect the tiptronic gearbox breather pipe in.

I cant found out if the breather connection is on the 997.1 tiptronic cars and haven't got access to my car to check unfortunately.

Can someone with a tiptronic 997.1 have a look for me or has anyone done the same mod themselves and can advise.

Hi Steve, I have this fitted to mine with the BMC filter and yes, it's a great mod.

The car feels as though it's breathing better with slightly more poke in lower revs and the howl is a bit more throaty from 5k revs upwards :grin:

Do it :thumb:

Can't help with the tiptronic mod as mines a manual 8)

I have a 997.1 Tiptronic.
I fitted a BMC filter and blocked off the resonator on mine, keeping the factory pipe.
There are no breather pipes or additional connections between the air box and the throttle body.

It is a good mod as others have said. I'm currently considering cutting of the internal part of the resonator to get increased airflow through the factory pipe. Has anyone else done that?

Cheers,
Iain

I have highlight the breather hose connection I suspect my car may have on a Google image I downloaded and is shown below.

The CAI kit has no provision to connect this gearbox breather hose I don't think

Attachments

• 20180126_184648_915.jpg
    20180126_184648_915.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 4,618
I think this is a manual gearbox 997 car which doesn't have a breather hose connection like the tiptronic cars.

Attachments

• img_0426_195.jpg
    img_0426_195.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 4,613
The 997.1 tip doesnt have the breather pipe as the 996s do and the 996 tip guys fitting the induction kit also just add a small cone filter to the breather pipe and tuck it out of sight.

Its a must do mod for any 996/997.1 cant understand anyone that hasnt done it , the car breathes better,the engine sounds healthier the puffy wheez is gone. the BMC filter filters to a finer micron particle than the paper OE one, even if you arent interested in a nice induction note when you floor it or a few extra BHP its still a must do mod IMO :thumb: :thumb: also have a look at the SPARCO one as you can get different colour hoses and its cheaper :thumb:

Steve why not go for a full CAI. I decided on the K&N CAI kit, I'm happy with it and really does improve the intake sound above 3k.
Install was a breeze & is one of the cheaper intakes.
I don't know what your budget is but worth thinking about.

Thanks for the info guys.

Got any links to the K&N and Sparco kits?

nikos525 said:
Here ya go: https://www.knfilters.co.uk/search/product.aspx?prod=57-7000

Says it's for the 996 but fits the 997 engine, I modded mine slightly after reading though many threads regarding velocity profiles, Reynolds numbers & laminar flow - things that made my head hurt - hence I fitted a flow straightener.
Can post some pics up, no problems with mine and MAF is bone dry :D

The one like Nik has that uses the engine lid to create a seal was one of the better options if not sticking with the OE airbox and a reasonable price given the alternatives like

http://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod128102/GruppeM-Air-Induction-Kit-for-Porsche-997-FRI-0142/

Cheers for the info lads.

Unfortunately ive just logged on and seen the replies but have literally just won a kit with BMC panel filter on eBay only moments before reading the replies.

Hopefully the kit fits and is a worthwhile mod.

Thanks again for all the help gents :thumb:

Hi chaps. Sorry to hikack the thread. Does anyone know where to source the silicone hose type intake discussed here for a manual with a black hose rather than blue?

I actually really like the look of the standard air box but like the idea of more noise offered by the air intake mod discussed here.

Antony.

APL911 said:
Hi chaps. Sorry to hikack the thread. Does anyone know where to source the silicone hose type intake discussed here for a manual with a black hose rather than blue?

I actually really like the look of the standard air box but like the idea of more noise offered by the air intake mod discussed here.

Antony.

Anthony , Samco if you contact them they can do colour options for their kit it comes with the res cap so you just need the BMC sports filter , have a look on ebay for the BMC filter
:thumb:

Steve997 said:
Cheers for the info lads.

Unfortunately ive just logged on and seen the replies but have literally just won a kit with BMC panel filter on eBay only moments before reading the replies.

Hopefully the kit fits and is a worthwhile mod.

Thanks again for all the help gents :thumb:

Steve you will be pleased with that :thumb:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back