Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

911 - buying from OPC long distance advice - forum Newbie

the_cynical_donkey

Hello!

I am a Boxster owner looking to upgrade to a 911. Looking at approved used cars, OPC Chester have one that fits the bill, but I am based down south. OPC Chester don't have a lot of reviews online - positive or negative. My question is twofold

1. Has anyone had any experience with OPC Chester sales and after-sales?
2. Have you had experience buying long distance from am OPC where the car turned out to have problems?

Thank you very much!

No experience with OPC Chester, but bought long distance from OPC Leeds. car was exactly as described and as close to new as possible. And Leeds OPC have generally a bad rep.

Im presuming by problems you mean bodywork? Alloy/tyre, consumable parts such as brakes or Interior condition? As anything else will be covered by the warranty, and from previous experience that is everything.

I think if you ask detailed (really really detailed questions!) from an OPC its the safest bet possible when placing a deposit/buying unseen.

The after sales on any warranty issues with Chester is surely irrelevant as youll take to your own local OPC?

Welcome by the way :grin: :thumbs:

As SBSP says buying from OPC means 2yr full warranty and the service relationship you need to be good is with your local OPC as they are the ones to lookafter any issue you have :thumb: If you already have a relationship with your local OPC you could always get them to speak to chester and get you the full low down on the car . welcome and good luck :thumb: :thumb:

spongebob squarepants said:
Im presuming by problems you mean bodywork? Alloy/tyre, consumable parts such as brakes or Interior condition? As anything else will be covered by the warranty, and from previous experience that is everything.

That's the sort of thing I was worried about. Have asked them for a tyre and brake condition report. Bodywork I can inspect when I get there. As you say that should cover pretty much all of it, it does give me confidence. Cheers! :thumbup:

:welcome: Dominic
hobby_horse.gif

Good luck with the search :thumbs:

Boxster pics :camera:

Say :bye: in the Newbie section too

:thumb:

Phil 997 said:
As SBSP says buying from OPC means 2yr full warranty and the service relationship you need to be good is with your local OPC as they are the ones to lookafter any issue you have :thumb: If you already have a relationship with your local OPC you could always get them to speak to chester and get you the full low down on the car . welcome and good luck :thumb: :thumb:

My local OPC have a similar car for sale, so I am not sure they'd be that helpful :D :D. But you are right, they are the one's who'd be looking after it so as long as I am happy with them. The only other thing I'd worry about would be the clocking but that should be covered in the 111 point check. Thank you!

Re: 911 - buying from OPC long distance advice - forum Newbi

the_cynical_donkey said:
Hello!

I am a Boxster owner looking to upgrade to a 911. Looking at approved used cars, OPC Chester have one that fits the bill, but I am based down south. OPC Chester don't have a lot of reviews online - positive or negative. My question is twofold

1. Has anyone had any experience with OPC Chester sales and after-sales?
2. Have you had experience buying long distance from am OPC where the car turned out to have problems?

Thank you very much!

1. No.
2. Bought a few remote but no issues...

. They should do a Walkaround video for you. Ask to see the car in detail ie interior as well. Also ask them or your local service department to check what work it has been in for and what recalls it's had done. I've found most OPC service departments are fine with giving you this info as long as there is no personal data etc. The OPC that services the car is better to speak to if possible. Having the vin number helps.

Worth seeing if you can hold a token amount of the payment back if you are going to collect in person . head over early or the day before and check the car then pay. This eases the time pressure of payments clearing etc

Car will have porsche assist and the warranty, any issues early on and you can get it taken back to the supplying dealer to sort. Good luck with the purchase👍

Hi I live in Chester but have had no connection to them beforehand, I bought used Manual 911- 997.2 -4 from Porsche Chester 3 years ago, I found them to be very good & fair price on my particular deal.

My car has had 3 pre-arranged services since with them all good, the ladies on the service desk were very professional good to me.

I had it in just before my used warranty expired last year & they went right through the car replaced several fairly large ticket items at no quibble, coolant hoses, right through, steering rack, window regulator maybe because Porsche were paying, but I have been very pleased & will go back in the future when ready to change.

Currently I am still loving my 911 & wish I bought one years ago.

Any car from an OPC should be to the standards of a 111 point check and min tread depths and brake measurements are part of this .

if you took the car to your local OPC and they found anything that would fail a 111 point check then OPC who supplyed the car would be footing the bill .... i have seen it in the past im afraid .

My solution .. car will be under warrenty when you buy it ..

get your local OPC to do a VHC check on it .. any problems and its your OPC phoneing supplying OPC to get them to pay for it .. again i have seen this and supplying OPC always pays.

A customer complaining to Porsche about this sort of thing is never good news for an OPC .

Thanks everyone. :worship:

All the advice here has put my mind to rest. I am going to arrange to visit OPC chester soon for a quick look and hopefully will have a new set of wheels soon!

I drove from near Eastbourne to OPC in Bournemouth to see a vehicle that I was assured even from asking beforehand about paintwork that it was in perfect order. When I got there the poor colour match from wings to door was so obvious I walked away.

I have since been to see a vehicle at OPC in Tonbridge, front driver wing did not match door and passenger door had poor repair a sag in paint around door handle.

Totally unacceptable on a vehicle over £60k but usual salesman BS saying all vehicles get painted so it's to be expected.

had 3 cars from chester. very fair dealer and any small issues with vehicle put right with no quibble. give it a good look over and highlight anything you re not happy with. they put 4 new tyres on mine when i asked even though the ones on it were legal. wouldn't worry if i were you

I have dealt with Chester for the last 3.5 years and have had no issues.

The franchise was Cornhill's from the Isle of Man, but now Rybrook have it.

I bought my car from Mid -Sussex without viewing it and only receiving photos a couple of days before picking it up.

I had been searching for a couple of months and when I saw it advertised (no photos) it had the right spec, so I jumped in.

The salesman said if I didn't like it when I went to pick it up, I could back out.
So don't worry, OPC preparation is second to none.

I was at the OPC this week and had a look around the cars as I was waiting for mine, all superb.

The 2012 997 GTS was a little expensive I thought at £71k.

If you do journey up, they have a new Exclusive series Turbo S on show (already sold) so make sure you have a good look at that.
:thumb:

Thanks @ukrr and @Rhodris-dad for sharing your experience! Ideally I'd like to drive down this weekend but all depends on domestic duties :D :D . It is a fair distance to travel for a day trip. I am leaning towards paying down a refundable deposit for the car to be taken off sale and then going up to chester next weekend when I have a bit more time.

The one I am considering is the 13 plate C2S for £71k with 11k miles on the clock.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autocraft1
Back