Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.1 C4S Fabspeed Cold Air Induction System

ARP

Spa-Francorchamps
i have looked at this myself many times as it looks the nuts, but the only thing that puts me off is that most threads you read say that the standard airbox with a BMC filter is hard the beat with regards to gains as any other filler is taking hot air in (from the engine bay) rather than the snorkelled cold air with the standard box. The other option is to get the x51 airbox that has two snorkels and cut a second one into your deck lid but the boxes are like hens teeth and cost a small fortune. I don't know for definite but just what I have read in the past

Now that intake does look the nuts but 'cold air induction system" it ain't. For looks it is a big thumbs up but for performance it will actually make your car slower. Get a panel filter and a geo at centre gravity (assuming you've not already had it done).

Honestly, there are better things you can do for sound and BHP, I did so much research on it several years ago and finally came to the same conclution as most , you cannot beat the porsche air box for true cold air induction , So Based on that I started to explore the Porsche options which seemed to be fit an X51 airbox £2k :eek: or £1200 used if you can find one , fit a gen2 airbox £300 theory was it was duel feed like the gen1 X51 so that would mean more cold air in . anyway personally I fitted an aerokit rear wing this meant the air intakes were forward facing not rear facing like on the OE engine cover this would create more of a ram air effect even better if you add the gt3 intake scoops.
I then found my existing gen1 airbox was more than capable of handling the air flow and the stock paper filter was the bottleneck along with the fact that the resinator box on the gen1 is plastic welded in unlike the 996 which is screwed in and can be easily removed, So I fitted a BMC air filter and silicon hose with resinator cap , had I been handy DIY I would have dremmeled off the resinator box as this would free up 30% more of the airfilter thus handling more cold air , if you do this the resinator cap with the silicon hose becomes a resinator plug.
So you have now spent about £100, with the other £500 that the fabspeed thing costs go and buy yourself some 200 cell cats. this will give you far more sound and BHP than the fabspeed airbox , and if you like a pretty carbon look in the engine bay then get the top of your airbox carbon dipped which is what I did. you wont need a remap with 200cell cats and it will pass MOTs no problem

then the next thing should be GT3 throttle body and plenum and sports back boxes if you havent got PSE you will need a remap with the throttle body but you will be getting max cold air in and max exit gas out without getting into really serious money.

Hope my thoughts and what I did help . :thumb:

Attachments

• img_0168_144.jpg
    img_0168_144.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 4,326
Phill 997, where did you get the dark silicone hose from?
I'm not keen on the bright blue or red hoses. I'd rather have black.

Just bought a BMC filter so this is the logical next step.

Thefinn said:
:yeah:

200 cel cats and 82mm TB

Those plus a remap, how much HP and Torques gains would we be looking at realistically?

SJD said:
Phill 997, where did you get the dark silicone hose from?
I'm not keen on the bright blue or red hoses. I'd rather have black.

Just bought a BMC filter so this is the logical next step.

As finn said try Samco, mine is the wider hose that comes with the IPD GT3 throttle body /plen kit it wouldnt fit a stock throttle body/plen :thumb:

RXP. said:
Thefinn said:
:yeah:

200 cel cats and 82mm TB

Those plus a remap, how much HP and Torques gains would we be looking at realistically?

very hard to say as it depends on the tuner you use for the remap as the numbers are often a bit exhadarated, but 8% to 10% shouldnt be unrealistic but in all honesty its not about the top end BHP gains the big wins for a road car are the changes to the power curve and delivery these are very noticable in the low/mid range which is where most of us spend most of our time driving in. :thumb: these mods turn the stock 997 into the car that should have come out of the factory if the bean counters hadnt been working to a budget and the execs werent worried that the Carrara's performance would be too close to the flagship models and affect the sales of those. So the factory end up restricting the potential of the Carrera not because the engine cant cope but for enviromental and financial reasons , some of that power is available to be unlocked with a few well chosen mods.
The rest can be unlocked but it starts to get very expensive and questionable to justify it for a road car with the odd track day. :thumb: :thumb:

Phil thanks for your advice, I've ordered the Samco kit from Time Motorsports after some very prompt email correspondence, this should arrive tomorrow.
BMC filter ordered from ECP via eBay.
I think I will get the resonator blanking cap black anodised next time we run a batch at work, this will keep the engine bay nice and black, along with the black Samco hose.
You've got me thinking about the 200 cat cells now from Topgear. Does anyone have any experience of what these will sound like with the OEM switchable sports exhaust? How difficult of a job to fit, and what about an X pipe? Is this essential? It increases the cost significantly.

ARP said:
Phil thanks for your advice, I've ordered the Samco kit from Time Motorsports after some very prompt email correspondence, this should arrive tomorrow.
BMC filter ordered from ECP via eBay.
I think I will get the resonator blanking cap black anodised next time we run a batch at work, this will keep the engine bay nice and black, along with the black Samco hose.
You've got me thinking about the 200 cat cells now from Topgear. Does anyone have any experience of what these will sound like with the OEM switchable sports exhaust? How difficult of a job to fit, and what about an X pipe? Is this essential? It increases the cost significantly.

The 200cell Xpipe v straight cross over debate is very common , fabspeed say one is better Sharkwerkz say the other, very much a personal choice after reading about them , I went with the big bore xpipe for several reasons 1 the theory of getting more gas out quicker and 2 I read the xpipe has a merge collector where they join at the x and that improves it and also adds the crackles and pops :thumb: I would imagine that adding it to a PSE would be very similar to their valvetronic set up so very doable. :thumb: :thumb:
and if you havent yet fitted the PSE override from Gert you may well want to after fitting the cats. :thumb:

Thanks for the advice. Time Motorsport have been brilliant. Black hose and stopper should blend in nicely.

SJD said:
Thanks for the advice. Time Motorsport have been brilliant. Black hose and stopper should blend in nicely.

perfect :thumb: dont forget a pic when its fitted

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back