Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Ohlins, KW or Bilstein coilover 996 turbo

diverzeusy

Ok, Which is 'best'? what are the differences?
Anyone got experience of the above? good/bad? Other brands?
Get chatting
Thanks guys 👍

Latest 911 & PW has the conclusion of a long running article on one of the writer's cars, a 996 C2.

Went with Ohlins in the end. It's a good read. :thumbs:

Ohlins are a whole different product. I have them on my turbo after researching the above. They are an amazing product. Not at all crashy on B roads yet when you lean on them they really stiffen up, amazing tech.

mine is 997 but love my ohlins. wouldn't hesitate to fit to any car

Thanks Plynchy + 911tom👍

My girlfriend now prefers to be a passenger in the 911 rather than the Volvo since the Porsche got Ohlins- better ride, much less roll and pitch (close to none at all).

I have to agree the ride is actually better and smoother than stock suspension. These aint no typical coilovers.

Thanks Jim + dammit
This is going to be expensive 😂

I ran Bilstein B14 (inverted gas filled monotube height adjustable coilovers) on my R53 Cooper S for many years, until a slight knock developed in the right front. They're a fine coilover, but very firm, and very much a track-oriented ride, even with smaller 16" lightweight rims and non run flat tyres. I finally replaced them with à–hlins R&T and couldn't be happier, really progressive, great quality damping, and excellent body control. And quite a lot lighter than the B14s to my surprise, as they're aluminium. Thoroughly recommended, and with good ride quality thrown in.

If I wasn't running Bilstein Damptronics (PASM) with the TPC Racing module on my 9972 I wouldn't hesitate for a moment. :grin:

If I was buying new then 100% I'd be going for Ohlins.

Luckily for me my mate Craig has just bought some Ohlins as he's run out of things to buy for his car so is starting again on it.

I'm getting his rebuilt KWV3s which are pretty damn good anyway.
Not all coilovers are crashy. The KWs are brilliant. I wouldn't fit them if they were too hard.

Definitely Ohlins though if buying new. They're actually cheaper for the Turbo than the Carreras too.

There is another option: Exe-TCs.

I managed to source some second-hand for just a little over Ohlins money and they're even better. Extremely compliant, but mega-controlled; total voodoo.

Particularly helpful that I'm only a few miles from Exe-TC HQ; the guys are super friendly and helpful.

Keep your eyes on the classifieds!

Ohlins for a C4S are £2.5k :nooo:

Thanks everyone,
the Exe-Tc are very nice and even come with the new top mount/bearing front and rear, but I cannot find a price anywhere? I may give them a call.
No one has mentioned Bilstein coilovers? Is there a reason?

Not certain, but Exe-TC new are around £5K, sorry to say.

They used to be £8K until about 2 years ago...... :eek: :eek: :eek:

Their WRC stuff is £40K.....but those teams can afford that.

EGTE said:
Not certain, but Exe-TC new are around £5K, sorry to say.

They used to be £8K until about 2 years ago...... :eek: :eek: :eek:

Their WRC stuff is £40K.....but those teams can afford that.
Wow😳
That rules those out then, As my car is only occasional track or road use, just that the shock absorbers where noted at the last test for external corrosion, and are the original one's so due for renewal.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back