Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

GT3 vs GT3RS

DRZ911

Thinking about my next car. Ideally, would be a 991.2 GT3. Unfortunately, a new 991.2 GT3 is not an option, and am not prepared to pay £60K over the odds to have one as this takes me into 991.1 GT3RS territory.

So, considering a 991.1 GT3 or 991.1 GT3RS.

Some parameters .....
Never going to track the car. Will do about 7K miles per year as a daily drive during spring/summer/autumn, and maybe a trip to Europe every year.

Have some limited experience of the 991.GT3 and know it would satisfy my needs and leave me with a grin from ear-to-ear as a daily drive. However, could free up some money to get a GT3RS.

So my questions are ....
Is the 991.1 GT3RS too extreme for daily driving :?:
Is the 991.1 GT3 the sweetspot that I should actually be aiming for :?

Any advice, abuse or otherwise would be much appreciated. :puh:

Subscribed

I'd be wary that the extra dosh would not be reflected at the next change of car?
Go for the GT3 if you share this view or the RS if that does not bother you.
Either way, you win! Great cars.
CheeRS, Keith.

I've driven both at PEC Silverstone. I'd guess, if you;re quick/ask nicely, they'd still be able to get you behind the wheel of 991.1 GT3 and GT3 RS so you could make more of an informed choice.

For me, even on the PEC track, within the short space of time available, I could not quite feel happy getting near the limit of grip in the RS, whereas the GT3 felt a bit less capable but more accessible, if that makes sense?

Given the use you describe, I'd have thought - others may, of course, have better knowledge and a different opinion - the plain GT3 would be the better compromise.

OP, what a nice position to be in!!

Two numbers decide it for me.

4.0!!

If your after a GT3 experience I can't see the RS being that much harder??

The RS has had no problems to speak of and therefore would be the better bet long term.

Looking at prices over the last 5 years...

IMO the cost difference between gt3 and RS remains pretty static and escalates in favour of the RS as time marches on!!

Same with depreciation, they both drop at similar rates, however as they get older the RS has more potential to make gains?

Good luck with your search and when you snag one, plenty of pics!!

Ok I'll say it....surprised you are considering a GT3 or GT3RS as a daily driver. Would have thought other nicer/more suited options for that. Eg GTS or a targa.

The GT cars used on road only will mainly frustrate. The RS doesn't give as much power at low revs and you are hardly going to red line it anywhere apart from the odd motorway slip road for a millisecond. Plus it's a bit too much turning up somewhere in a race car.

Maybe the ideal car would have been the GTS-esque GT3.2 Touring though the low speed frustration point still remains.

Totally identify with your thinking DRZ, albeit from the perspective of being in the 997 generation, mine is used 'semi-daily" and I do plan to track it (rarely).

A GT3 can definitely be a PITA trundling around towns and suburbia, no surprise there and logically, a GTS fits the bill much better, but if you really want to experience the mythical car, if you go for a 'road" spec'd/set up 991.1 GT3 with lift and OPC warranty, you'll experience the GT3 magic without it being ruined by the inevitable compromises that would come with a Clubsport or RS. I'm just too conservative (in the boring sense!) to contemplate a Clubsport or RS for mainly road use.

If after a 6-12 months in the GT3, despite the magic, you know in your heart that a GTS (or some other special non-GT car) would be more enjoyable for what you actually use your 911 for, it shouldn't be too painful to chop the GT3 in for one.

What a nice position to be in ! 👍

my first hand experience.
There is no reason at all why you can't use a 991.1 GT3 as a daily driver.

Its hardly any more crashy than a sport BMW.
Its is pretty good on fuel too.

Axle lift gets over most things

Clubsport adds a bit of dram but doesn't change the overall 'feel' of the car

I can understand the RS for track, but not really a daily, as its harder, less low down torque, and has that 'look at my racer' look

If you don't care about that - get the RS !

Other than the badge the, the GT3 doesn't scream race car
Hell, a Civic these days looks more aggressive :O)

my 991.1 GT3 has got over 30K miles on it - and not all are track ;)

Thank you very much for all your replies. Much appreciated. :thumb:

It looks like a 50-50 split at the moment, so lots still to think about.

Just to help push me one way or the other, just how crashy is the RS on normal roads, with less than perfect surfaces, when compared to the GT3 :?:

One thing worth considering is where'how you'll be using it as a daily. Friend of mine has two or three nice Porsche's including an RS and just doesn't feel he can take the RS to work whereas he's happy to take a GT3. RS is that bit more in your face!

Wouldn't like to use my .2 GT3 daily it'd drive me mad but weekends I can cope with also it keeps the car more 'special', it's a fantastic car though however still waiting for the RS.

My Cayman 718 it just fine for everyday use because I'm single. (and very happy) :)

Hi

Having just bought a GT3 I think you could easily use as a daily driver, there is a bit of theatre with the drive and the noises, but not too much. It's easy to drive normally and will put a huge grin on your face when you want. I like the more subtle look of the GT3 but if you really want any the RS go for it.

I'd get the RS I over the GT3 if that's the choice. Great for the Euro trip and then 5k good weather miles here. Avoids the engine blight of the GT3 and adds drama.

If there was a PDK Touring I love that. Odd that RS gives the right engine/gearbox combo.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back