Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 disappearing FAST !

Hi, Newbee here with a question of how many of each bred left here in uk?

I'm interested in the number manual C2 911's still on the road in uk, modern narrow body mostly, so 964, 993, specifically 996. Below is my basic understanding, just what I could find.

From my research, there's approx around 2000 RHD of all 911's for sale in uk to present at any one time, and 1/5th are Manual C2's.

Working on a ratio of total sales 964 (approx worldwide, 70K), 993 (70K), 996 Gen 1/2 (175K). 997 Gen 1/2 (215K). With some 996 lunched off the road, see 2:1 of 996 on either 964 or 993.

Looking on Howmanyleft website, could only fathom 1000 only 964 and 1000 993 C2 in the UK, does that mean only 2000 right hand drive 996 C2 left here..?

So for every 993 and a 964, you'll see a Gen 1 and a Gen2 996 on road.

996, Mass produced?, Loads around? Is it time to rethink the actual numbers of a disappearing bred.

Well, as I have just bought a very good condition, 47k miles 1998 model C2 tip the less the better 8)

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :dont know:

Given the price falls due to the engine concerns and the potential sky high rebuild costs, I suspect that a higher percentage will be scrapped at a younger age than previous versions. I think they will only get rarer.

MC

The same curve has caught up with lots of cars.

Lots built.
Drop out of fashion (the 996 did big time with !).
At some point the cost to fix is more than the cars worth.
Cars are broken for parts
One day there aren't that many left.
Car becomes desirable again.
Value shoots up....

I hear the mid-late nineties clothing fashions are back in now. Shortly after 80's fashion was back in, 80's cars went from being derided to desirable....

2K your figures sound ok to me.

Not knocking the other variants e.g. Tip, cab, 4wd but for some people (me included) only the manual, coupe, RWD will do, as per the original.

It is slim pickings out there. Focus the 996 search on a Mk1 which I did and it gets even harder. Then there are the rough ones, repaired ones, etc, etc.

964s still tug at the heart strings for me but aside from looks, the 996 does everything better whilst still feeling "mechanical" and involving enough.

I didn't warm to mine for a while due to coming from 964s and a GT3, but I'm really rather fond of the old thing now. Looking forward to summer.

True about things going full circle and eventually being cool again.
I saw an interview with JK (Jamiroquai) a few years ago where he said loads of collectors had now moved onto 80's stuff to add to their 60's and 70's stuff.

The sweet spot for me is probably mid 80's to 2005 with 1990 to 2000 being the decade that spawned most of my favourite ever cars. Born in 1977, I consider myself lucky to have grown up through the hot hatch boom of the 80's and then owning just about every fast 80's and 90's car I've wanted.
Autonomous motoring is getting ever closer and we are in the golden era for cars.
Like I say I'm chuffed to have been driving in this 20 year period that I have been. I think things will look very different in another 20 years.

Cant say it any better than that really. The main reason I bought another as I think we will be so restricted using older cars in the not to distance future.
So much so that I actually think a lot will be scrapped or broken up as it will be to expensive or restrictive to enjoy them.

Well I guess it's down to us to use and enjoy them, as well as preserving them for the next era.
Who knows what the landscape will be in 20 years. I'll be 52 by then. :eek:

There are some beauties still around, my mate was last week offered a 2003 C2 with 17000 miles on the clock for 20k :grin: so they are out there :thumb:

I still see quite a lot of 996 around driven daily and in all weathers which is rare for old 911's, although I did see a 993 Targa on the A3 yesterday.

Must get mine out of the garage for a run over the weekend at some stage for a play. Got to take my youngest to a 3rd birthday party so may as well take her in the 911 :mrgreen:

bred?

i have read on many occasions from different sources, that 70% of all aircooled are still on the road worldwide, seems a lot, but even 50 per cent would be good, over 400,000 air cooled were made,

i have only one, its 36 years old, but i am amazed how reliable and solid it is, i have done 10k miles in 18 months and its just a joy.

Rising values have helped keep them on the road, as people now will rebuild them, cut out all the rot and weld, as its worth it.

project cars are becoming unaffordable, let alone driveable examples.

i would say the 996's are here for many more years, i don't think the build quality was as good as the handmade stuff, but it was still ok.

Appreciate posters input on this, some good info regarding desirability curve and 90's clothing wasz, I'm late 30's so guilty. :lol: . The excellent comment from Marky911 specifically on best era for car ownership, I'm with you 100%

But my quest to find the actual numbers of what I see to be 911 genesis, the DNA, C2 Manual Coupe flat6, specifically 996 (Gen 1 and Gen 2 that see to be seperate evolutions, not breds!) My gut is the numbers of these left to be closer to 993 and 964 than the internet would have believe?

Note, not Saying C2 Manual Coupe, is better but only backbone, So if anyone wants to do a straight swap of my C2 for Auto Cabriolet Turbo 996, or nice example C4S, just let me know where to meet. :floor:

To challenge my own findings looking on howrareismycar.co.uk website. Total number, Taxed to date 1989 - 1993 (964) = 1400, 1994 - 1997 (993) = 2600, 1998 - 2001 (996.1) = 4500, 2002 - 2004 (996.2) = 7600!

With 996, a large number of C4. A big percentage being Cabriolet and or Auto. Turbo, Targa and C4S only in 996.2 of which there were a good number produced. (Guess) Revise UK RHD approx;

964 C2 Coupe = 800,
993 C2 Manual Coupe 1000
996.1 C2 Manual Coupe 1500
996.2 C2 Manual Coupe 1800

So before junking or LS engine swapping (wtf) C2 996, might not be so many left. :?:

Both my 964 and 996 are currently SORNed, so untaxed.

However they are both very much in existence and will be used regularly come the spring.

I wanted a 996 manual C2 non sunroof 3.4 coupe and waited a while to find one. seems to be fewer of them about more and more nowadays.

2K said:
Appreciate posters input on this, some good info regarding desirability curve and 90's clothing wasz, I'm late 30's so guilty. :lol: . The excellent comment from Marky911 specifically on best era for car ownership, I'm with you 100%

Its no coincidence that when blokes hit their late 30's they have a bit of cash in their pocket and they go and buy the car they admired when they first got into cars as a late teenager 20 years earlier.

The 996 blew everything out of the water in contemporary road tests 18/19 years ago.

It happens to every cool car. So if you see a car that was cool 15 years ago, snap it up, burn around in it and when its 20 sell it for more than you paid.

I've done that with VW mk2 GTIs (I have bought nice ones for as little as £350, wish I'd kept them longer) and corrado vr6, now I have my 996.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back