Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.1 gear knob

Adsum

Can anyone tell me or provide a link on how to remove the gear knob on a manual 997 gen 1

thanks

Use a plastic pry tool to lift the gaiter surround - it will simply unclip as you prise it upwards.

Then grasp your knob and twist it 90deg anticlockwise and then pull it off upwards with a sharp hard tug.

No sniggering at the back please :hand:

Thanks 'Thefinn' & 'monster' -the pelican parts article show a 996 setup; my 997 setup seems a bit different, as below the leather gaiter there's a silver bit of trim does this trim bit need to come off first? there doesn't seem to be enough room to insert a trim tool between the trim and the bottom of the gaiter!

no it doesn't you only need to remove the gaiter and knob, you might even be able to pull the gaiter up with a hard tug by getting your fingers on the back of the surround through the leather. If you are going to do this do either the top or bottom first not together, best use the tool though if you can. Once this is free pull it up over the knob i.e. inside out and you will see the plastic toggle thing that holds it in place, this has two flat sides so you can get a spanner on it to turn it as monster said.

With regards to the "how to" guides most of the ones you will find cross over between the 996 / 997 as they are both very similar, there might just be a slight difference between the two but you can normally work it out.

monster said:
Use a plastic pry tool to lift the gaiter surround - it will simply unclip as you prise it upwards.

Then grasp your knob and twist it 90deg anticlockwise and then pull it off upwards with a sharp hard tug.

No sniggering at the back please :hand:

Then repeat for as long as needed :floor: :floor:

Adsum said:
Thanks 'Thefinn' & 'monster' -the pelican parts article show a 996 setup; my 997 setup seems a bit different, as below the leather gaiter there's a silver bit of trim does this trim bit need to come off first? there doesn't seem to be enough room to insert a trim tool between the trim and the bottom of the gaiter!

As Finn has said you need to get the pry tool between the silver trim surround and the bottom of the gaiter - the gaiter bottom has a plastic frame inside which you need to lever up and out of its locators. If the pry tool is of a soft material like plastic you won't damage anything, and it will easily pop up - start at the rear.

Then you can either turn the knob through 90deg by hand, or locate the two spanner flats that Finn mentions and turn with a spanner from the underside - I tend to find it easy enough just to twist the whole knob by hand though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jons123
Back