Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

used 997 convertible should I buy manual or pdk?

nigel hooper

I am looking to buy a 2010 onwards 997 convertible, would you guys recommend a manual or pdk?

:welcome: to 911uk.

Seriously, and this is not meant to be in anyway flippant, have you searched the forum to read the PDK v Manual threads?
In whose opinion will you decide to go with? Perhaps you may find it better to decide for yourself after you have test driven both variants of transmission.

When you do decide, and don't forget it will be you making the decision, make sure you choose the best colour.

Enjoy your search.

:welcome: to 911uk

To save you 'searching' for the dozens of posts that have discussed this before I'll give you the bottom line.

= Only YOU can decide what suits your requirements.

Both are excellent cars with excellent gearboxes but manual or semi-auto is down to any individuals preference and 'recommendations' will not really help you in your decision.

:welcome: nigel

What have you had before, manual or auto's :dont know:

:thumb:

As the others have said ,its very much personal prefference and where you drive ,if its a daily and lots of town driving then PDK may be more relaxed. if you want the driver involvement then manual might suit you better . neither is better they are just different and suit different peoples needs.
I did enjoy the ease of my auto box but also like the involved feel of my manual box and the added advantage on the 997.2 of a brake hold on 5% inclines this stops rollback as you move feet on hill starts.( its called drive off assistant).

nigel hooper said:
I am looking to buy a 2010 onwards 997 convertible, would you guys recommend a manual or pdk?

I've just gone through this process and bought a 2010 gen 2 Carrera. I've only had manual weekend cars, 993, M3, 968 and thought I wanted a PDK after several of my friends raved about them.

I went searching for a PDK and drove both this and manual. I chose a manual, mainly because my car is for weekend fun and the manual makes me feel more connected with whats going on. If it was a daily driver I'm not sure - in fact I think I'd go PDK....just because of the ball ache of traffic jams.

As has been said you need to drive both and then you decide, don't be led by other people's opinion, in my opinion! Ha! :frustrated:

:welcome:

Manual

/end

(In my opinion) :grin:

:welcome:
PDK with paddles (not buttons), put it in Manual and get involved!

For a Gen 2 convertible I'd say PDK. Not really the sort of car to have a manual box.

Manual. All. Day. Long. Hate the effectively same DSG type box on my wifes BMW M240. I want manual, I want total and utter control.

If however you drive in London, or traffic, like she does, the auto DSG thingy makes perfect sense.

Personally, I work from home, so my 997.1 is a manual, as it is for fun and not commuting.

Everyone says depends on what you do is spot on......

PDK
more gears than a manual
Changes gear quicker than a manual
more economical than a manual
Performance figures on the PDK better than a manual

And get a Paddle change steering wheel,

£700 retrofit

I ve got a lovely 25,000 Miles PDK convertible but its a 2008 car

Phil 997 said:
As the others have said ,its very much personal prefference and where you drive ,if its a daily and lots of town driving then PDK may be more relaxed. if you want the driver involvement then manual might suit you better . neither is better they are just different and suit different peoples needs.
I did enjoy the ease of my auto box but also like the involved feel of my manual box and the added advantage on the 997.2 of a brake hold on 5% inclines this stops rollback as you move feet on hill starts.( its called drive off assistant).

This brake-hold is on the manual? Noticed my car doing something this and couldn't really explain it, despite thinking it was helpful.

MarkC4S said:
Phil 997 said:

This brake-hold is on the manual? Noticed my car doing something this and couldn't really explain it, despite thinking it was helpful.

Yes on the manual,It is a handy little option although a little disconserting when you first use it :thumb:

Go to dealer a take both out on a good long test drive !, I've been a hard core manual man for a very long time but have now changed my mind and would not look back from pdk ! Maybe because they've come on so much or maybe because I'm getting a little older :)

Rockunrolla said:
Go to dealer a take both out on a good long test drive !, I've been a hard core manual man for a very long time but have now changed my mind and would not look back from pdk ! Maybe because they've come on so much or maybe because I'm getting a little older :)

Welcome back Dave! It's been a while since you posted on here.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back