Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993 turbo, cat b, car

singh13

HI all,

new to the 911 mark.
also new to this forum and my first post.

However was looking to buy an 993 turbo, which is currently on sale in Germany.

LINK BELOW

https://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/porsche/993/249139

Anyone looking at this, please stay away.
the car in question is right hand drive, originally delivered to the uk.

went to see the car and everything looked ok.
however firstly he didn't any history, invoices or paperwork for the 993 turbo.

I spoke to Porsche, and they confirmed engine numbers, gearbox numbers etc.

also had Porsche in Germany do a 111 point check on the car.

but I could not do a Hpi check, as Germany does not have anything like this.

I managed to complete a Hpi check on the vin number, low and behold the car was a cat b in the uk.

my main question is, why did Porsche not have this on their system?
how the f*&k did Porsche give it full 111 point check and not pick anything up?

has put me off buying a car outside of the uk.

To be fair the price should have really been enough of a give away that it had a 'story'.

I'm not really surprised the 111 point check didn't flag anything, it's really only a box ticking exercise.

With the values of these cars now it's very difficult to speculate what may have caused the cat b marker, was it a recent thing?

I thought a catB car could only be used for parts and not be used on the road. Or are you intending to use it only as a track car?

Mike.

taffybloke said:
I thought a catB car could only be used for parts and not be used on the road. Or are you intending to use it only as a track car?

Mike.

Correct no Insurance company in the uk will provide cover. Probably the reason it has ended up abroad.

911tom said:
taffybloke said:

Mike.

Correct no Insurance company in the uk will provide cover. Probably the reason it has ended up abroad.

Henderson Taylor will and so will Chubb.

Lots of Cat B, C and D, salvage goes out of the uk daily and is then repaired, often badly, like the old UK cut and shuts, then secures registration in the country of repair, not unusual or illegal.

once repaired and registered they can and do all round the world.

Always a reason why RHD cars abroad require a lot of inspection and investigation

itsdashy said:
911tom said:
taffybloke said:

Mike.

Henderson Taylor will and so will Chubb.

Most will cover a cat c or d but I always thought the rules created by the Insurance industry on cat cars is that cat b cars can only be used for parts and are never allowed back on the road. I'll be shocked if the above will cover a cat b.

From the RAC website:

The categories are now A, B, S and N.

Category A (unchanged)
Scrap only. For cars so badly damaged they should be crushed and never re-appear on the road. Even salvageable parts must be destroyed.

Category B (unchanged)

Body shell should be crushed. Signifies extensive damage, although some parts are salvageable. Should never re-appear on road, although reclaimed parts can be used in other road-going vehicles.

Category S (formerly Category C)
The new Category S means the vehicle has suffered structural damage. This could include a bent or twisted chassis, or a crumple zone that has collapsed in a crash.
Category S damage is more than just cosmetic, therefore, and the vehicle will need to be professionally repaired. Also, it won't be safe to drive until then.

Category N (formerly Category D)
Vehicles graded accordingly haven't sustained structural damage, so the issue may be cosmetic, or a problem with the electrics that isn't economical to repair.
Don't assume such vehicles are drivable, however; non-structural faults may include brakes, steering or other safety-related parts.

C.

911tom said:
Most will cover a cat c or d but I always thought the rules created by the Insurance industry on cat cars is that cat b cars can only be used for parts and are never allowed back on the road. I'll be shocked if the above will cover a cat b.

Did it myself with a VX220 turbo. That car now lives at the Nurburgring and is lhd. Needed a new rear clam exhaust and subframe. All of which are bolt on parts and cheap. I find some 'restorations' a lot scarier than most accident damaged cars.

tyinsky said:
Did the car pass the checks in the Porsche workshop OK? £60k is a nice NB C2 or a maybe C4S money.

You will be lucky to get any 4S for 60k, C2 yes :thumb:

To be honest a 993 turbo on German plates with current Tuv is a brilliant TF car. The holy grail almost. Fast fun engaging and if the worst happens on the nurburgring
1. It's already happened to that car so eh repair it.
2. You're completely insured by brilliant, but quite pricey, German Insurance.
Considering unmolested examples are £120k this at half price is about right in my opinion. I'd be tempted.
Addendum: remove front diff and nail some arches to it please for 0 guilt gt2 pleasuring.

...... but not of course if one was wanting to buy it and bring it back to the UK as a "pukka" car ......

NIBrown, I meant C4 - typo :thumbs:

That turbo is tempting at just £60k. German TUV is apparently much tougher than a UK MOT, and if it has passed through a Porsche 111 point check without any red flags it can't be that bad a car.

So it's a turd rolled in glitter then :dont know:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back