Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Porsche Buyers Guides
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 13
997 : 2004- 79
996 : 1997-2005 40
993 : 1993-1998 8
964 : 1989-1993 6
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 0
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 1
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 0
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 9
Cayman : 2005- 19
Cayenne : 2003- 4
Macan : 2014- 4
Panamera : 2009- 0
912-914-924-928-944-968 3
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 1
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

Harv
Suzuka

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:55 pm    Post subject: 2008 cayenne 4.8T check engine issue Reply with quote

Have a check engine light on our 2008 cayenne turbo

Was intermittent (sometimes came on and then cleared itself) but now on all the time. Engine seems a little sluggish and down on power.

Code is P0016 which relates to cam/crank position correlation issue. I've replaced the cam hall sensor on bank 1 (left side of v8 as viewed from front of car looking into engine bay) and cleared the code and performance seems better but after a 5 mile drive and a check with code reader I've noticed that the same code is pending and I assume the check light will return.

Any ideas of other possible causes?

I've read perhaps a failing variable timing solenoid or one that's dirty or partially blocked could cause this? I think the car is just about due a service.

TIA

kas750
Estoril

2006 Porsche 911

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine had a similar problem and it was a stretched timing chain which was causing the problem.
I’m not sure if your engine is prone to that?

Harv
Suzuka

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers

We've had a cayenne before for nearly 10 years and 100k driven and I don't think chain stretch is something they are known for.

I don't have the test equipment for analysis of this and indeed hope there's nothing going on like that inside.

Perhaps a good service first and clean of cam actuator solenoids (perhaps swap them side to side and see if issue follows to that bank) as first port of call?

Would a failing crank position sensor give the same issue? Just wondering if its momentarily not giving signal while the engine is running then cam correlation to it would be off? (Doesn't explain why it's only bank 1 though and not both)

deMort
Reims

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes im afraid the chains do stretch , you can see it on a tester if you look at cam deviations on each Bank.

One side will be worse than the other as its further away from crank.

This will normally cause uneven idle , a general lumpyness basically.

For a fault code to be generated it would have to be pretty bad .. ive seen stetched ones but never one to that extent .. normally the variocam can compensate for it .

First thing then is to check and see what the devations are .. most ive seen have been 12 degrees .

Big question .. have you had any misfire codes or do you have a tester that can show real time misfires as they occur and if so are they only on one bank ?

Reason being ive just had a very strange fault on one that at first glance was looking like a chain but turned out to be a very differnt sensor indeed .

Crank position sensor can become loose .. just have a quick look and make sure its tight .

A single failed cam sensor wont cause a problem and its not uncommon to see it , you will also have a fault code for it .

EDIT

Some info if you havent already seen this ..

https://www.obd-codes.com/p0016

7pm - 9pm
At an Indy these days !

Harv
Suzuka

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Demort

I will have a look at the crank sensor if I can locate it (underneath on these?). There's no lumpiness at idle and no misfires at all recorded and it feels smooth, just a little down on power (which i assume is due the the Check light being on and timing being held back)

The only code was p0016 and i swapped out the cam sensor on left bank (assuming that is bank 1).

My code reader can see live data and I noticed there's two separate fields in there for advance. At a guess I would need to rev it at 2500 and hold steady and check the results. The field isn't marked cam advance (simply timing)

Can the variocam actuators get sluggish or stick on one side with dirty oil and can they be swapped bank to bank to see if the code changes to follow??

deMort
Reims

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CPS is underneath and more to the n/s ,

I dont think your reader can see what im thinking .. its called camshaft deviation and will be a set figure .. ie 8 degrees .

What you have is probably just cam timing .

The fault code is basically saying the CPS is seeing the camshafts in the wrong position from what it expects at various rev ranges .

Yes the actuator could in theory be stuck .. i would have thought you would get a fault code if it was but its certainly worth checking .. im not sure if there is a drive link for this ( you activate it with engine running to test ).

Ive not had any problems with these on a Cayenne before though so dont have any real experience of what faults they could generate.

The fault code you have is a generic one , OBD , and not the Porsche specific one .. if its possible then someone like 9E to use their tester and get the Porsche fault code and see what the devations are .. a half hour check basically ... if doing that then ask that Matt has a look and mention i sent you .

7pm - 9pm
At an Indy these days !

Harv
Suzuka

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm giving it a general once over at the moment.

Front bumper off, intercoolers cleared of rubble and a birds nest! Rad cleared of leaves etc (thinks it's a 996!)

Ive put fresh Mobil 1 and a filter on and have taken the intake manifold off to swap the starter motor and discovered a small leak from the metal feed pipe which will need a new seal.

We noted the thermostat has been stuck open as the car over cools when on the mway so I'm swapping that too.

Assuming here that I need to remove the water pump to get the thermostat out but can't see how the metal feed pipe block comes off the top of the unit. Any ideas?

Also noted that the vacuum t line on the back of the manifold link pipes is broken so will have to fabricate a fix there.

Once it's all done and back together I may pop down and see you if you can check the cam deviation ( You are right next to the bluebell railway arnt you?)

I do have a printout from OPC at Mid Sussex of the codes but I can't read the file
Cars eh!!

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: