Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Tyre pressures adjusted. Holy Christmas what a difference!

APL911

Just checked my tyre pressures after having my geometry done a few weeks ago.

They were at 40f and 48r!

Dropped to 32f and 34r and WHAT AN IMPROVEMENT!!!

I was quite worried about my car, finding it very jittery, bouncy and tale happy.

Now it's sweet as a nut.

Check your pressures if you're a noob like me!

Re: Tyre pressures adjusted. Holy Christmas what a differenc

APL911 said:
Just checked my tyre pressures after having my geometry done a few weeks ago.

They were at 40f and 48r!

Dropped to 32f and 34r and WHAT AN IMPROVEMENT!!!

I was quite worried about my car, finding it very jittery, bouncy and tale happy.

Now it's sweet as a nut.

Check your pressures if you're a noob like me!

Adjusted for temperature also?

Those new pressures you've applied are well under. Difference in which way? Bet it feels like a soggy sponge on a waterbed now.

Are they? I've been reading arguments all day on tyre pressures and the consensus seems to be around 32f and 36r for 1/2 load.

This also corresponds to what the guys at 911v told me (if I remember right) :?:

It just feels less jittery and bouncy now. Not soggy at all.

What are you running? You have mentioned not liking your new tyres recently for similar reasons haven't you?

Err.....no. I'm not keen on my fronts as the grip is too good. I'm running 36/44 as stated by PORSCHE.

Yeah, I'm aware of the Porsche stated figures.

Has anyone else tried lower pressures on here? Or am I off my rocker? :lol:

Some folk run lower to have a softer ride, when in reality they're compensating for the stiff suspension by making the tyres less stable.

I use 32/40 psi to 'compensate' for my crappy Exe-TC 3-ways :D

Some Indies advocate as low as 28/36, I believe, but don't tell Alex whatever you do! :grin:

Tyre pressures should be set from memory at 20 degrees tyre temp .. so to be spot on a road test then adjust them .

I would agree with say 3 psi lower but more than that and i feel , although i could well be wrong , that you will get uneven tyre wear .. that would be rather expensive .

I can say from experience that low tyre pressures can make a car feel anything from excellent to unstable .. i guess there is a sweet spot but either way then close to the original pressures is what i would have to recomend .

I work in bar so depending on what wheels / tyres you have fitted it should be either 2.5 bar or 2.5 front and 3.0 rear , your original setting would seem to be wrong and a geo should be done with correct tyre pressures .. its kinda basics 1 O 1 on a geo adjust to have correct pressures .

No offence young man.. id hate to cause that .

None taken at all. It's why I post on here.
I'll have a longer drive at the weekend and see how I get on.

Maybe they are a bit low. I'll have to buy a couple of bags of air to put back in them... :?: it does feel so much nicer though...

Of course who's to say whether you're pressure gauge is right? (just to throw that in there :).

32/34 hot - Yoko recommend not going above 34 with AD08R.

44 for the rear is laughable, that would be circa late 40's hot!! - Porsche recommended this 20 years ago based on 20 year old tyre technology!

Apart from Alex who quotes 36/44 as gospel and all but attacks everyone who dare oppose it, I know nobody who runs this high! - Tyre technology has come on a long way since 1999 when the 996 was designed.

Porsche themselves now recommend 31/34 on the 991, apart from if your regularly going over 160mph where it's 31/39.

Regardless of how strong the opinion by some, do what feels good for you :thumb:

Crash, what pressures do you use

crash7 said:
Porsche themselves now recommend 31/34 on the 991, apart from if your regularly going over 160mph where it's 31/39.

That's for winter tyres on basic alloys. Full load on 20" alloys is still 36/44.

pg_262_chart_1.jpg

I've driven mine on the odd occasion with low 30s in them (not by choice) and felt like some Jap drift king.

I set mine as advised in the Cars handbook ... set at 20degrees

RTFI......... :D

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back