Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

If you had £75k to spend on a Porsche....

phil84afc

As the title suggests really!

Thinking about a GT4 (I know they're slightly above £75k but with a bit of haggling etc) although also very tempted by an arctic silver 993 C2S for similar money. Then there is a gorgeous red 964 currently for sale as well...

All different cars etc but what porker would you buy for that money and why? Would only be used as a weekend car and whilst I'm not precious about miles it needs to be relatively safe from depreciation, which was why I was thinking GT4 / 993.

Anyone on here with a GT4 that maybe had something similar to what I have and can confirm that they are worthy of an extra £45kish?

I'm definitely going to chop in the Cayman S for something at the beginning of Q2 and would love to hear people's thoughts!

997 1 GT3 for me. Would require a bit of massaging to get a good car down to that price but that would do me nicely

996/997 Turbo would be pretty safe depreciation-wise - former would be in budget easily.

I am biased, however I have owned turbo charged water cooled Pork. 993C2S would be my choice.
The quirkiness, smell, sound and feel of the air-cooled cars is something very different to the modern water cooled era. Perfect for a weekend car and with a decent suspension setup still very rewarding and fun to drive. You can also exploit the power so much more on our congested & speed camera ridden roads.

Big bonus is that it's better than cash in the bank. :thumb:

C.

Having made a similar move with a similar budget, my opinion on what meet could meet your brief for holding their value and being a bit special. It's really down to what would give you the most pleasure to own and drive. In no particular order:-

Cayman GT4
- modern, fast, have lost some value from the 95k area, could be a good time

997.1 GT3
- definitely special, prices have flatlined, just above 996 but quite a bit lower than 997.2, so look good value, quite hard to find

997.2 GTS
- the great all rounder, only made for a couple of years, most capable Carrera ever made? £75k would get a low mileage peach of a car

997.1.5 Turbo manual or 997.2 Turbo PDK
- all about the power, an event to drive but how often can you get to do it on our overcrowded roads?

993 C2S
- oozes charm and character, more exploitable on the road than the cars above, but it's not a modern car so takes some getting used to

For me it would have to be.

No 1 997 gen 2 turbo.

No 2 997 gen2 GTS

If only I had that extra 25k when I bought my 997.1 turbo manual.

But still :worship: the car.

Dont dismiss the 964 without a decent drive in one, perfectly usable all year round , you must try one https://vimeo.com/72097363

997.2 turbo..... Oh hang on..... 8)

GT4 isn't really safe from depreciation - they made a lot of them and there are always plenty on the market in whatever spec you might want. Air cooled or GT3 make much more sense to my mind if residuals are a key focus. 997s (particularly GTSs with the right spec and Turbos) are almost certainly a better long term play than the GT4 at its current level too I reckon. :dont know:

The decision may well come down to finding the right car in the right condition. Not easy to compare three cars with very different strengths.

How, for example, can you compare a GT3 with a 993? Add the option of a turbo and you will go around in circles for ever.

I'm biased, but the GT3 is astounding.

The Turbo is also amazing but in a different way.

The 993 is also a special car but obviously does not have the performance of the other two.

Nobody can tell you what to do. It's a case of you deciding, if you had any one of the three cars, would you still feel the need to own one of the other cars?

I spent a huge amount of time and effort before I ended up with a GT3. Finding the right GT3 was as hard as it was to decide which car I wanted in the first place. I too wanted either a 993 or a GT3. The turbo just didn't feel the right car for me, despite it's amazing performance ability.

If you have three types of cars on your short list, there are three times more cars to see. It's much better to decide which car first, then to try and find the best you can afford of that model. Not easy, but doing lots of spreadsheets with age, mileage, price and specifications makes the process a bit simpler.

Good luck and try to enjoy the chase, keep asking questions and an eye on the top traders.

Cheers, Keith.

KP964 said:
Dont dismiss the 964 without a decent drive in one

... and with air cooled you absolutely must try one before even putting it on the list - especially with right hand drive. The RHD ergonomics are somewhat marmite on all air cooled 911s due to the significant pedal offset and while many have no issue at all with that, to others they can be extremely uncomfortable over long distances. LHD - nothing like as much of a problem.

....... Cayman GTS ...... and you will get some change ........ :)

I'm a testament to the RHD air-cooled ergonomic consideration. Loved the 993 I had, but my lower back and right knee really didn't. I'm not awkwardly sized or shaped, its just one of those things for some that you would be well advised to be as sure about as you can.

Interesting to watch GT4 residuals and indeed other fabulous cars like the 981 GTS variants, but the Mezger, air-cooled and relatively low numbers built are strong forces.

Disco said:
GT4 isn't really safe from depreciation - they made a lot of them and there are always plenty on the market in whatever spec you might want. Air cooled or GT3 make much more sense to my mind if residuals are a key focus. 997s (particularly GTSs with the right spec and Turbos) are almost certainly a better long term play than the GT4 at its current level too I reckon. :dont know:

:agree: I think GT4's will fall further, if you want to avoid depreciation you either go air-cooled or 997 GT3 / Turbo, as I feel these have now bottomed out.

If this is going to be your only weekend car, and you intend on using it regularly, 997 is your best bet.

In general the market is soft at the moment and there are deals to be done

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back