Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Dash Cam - Hardwire Help :(

Jake911

Hi Guys,

Firstly I am no technical Guru so please excuse the lack of 'technical knowledge'. Today I successfully ran the hardwire cable from the mirror expertly into the A pillar and down into the fusebox. I used the nut at the bottom of the fusebox to earth the black cable and I opted to use the piggyback-fuse for the heater. Rubbing my hands and patting myself on the back (usually I break everything) I thought, time to test the Garmin Dashcam. Well it was more dead than the old guy at the top of the stairs after Seal Team 6 came knocking.

So rewind back - I modified the hardwire kit so that I had the right angle Garmin lead in place of the plain lead, this involved soldering off the old lead and soldering on the Garmin lead to the 5A box. I then used my other cars battery to attach the lead, successfully powering up a USB bluetooth dongle. This was confirmation that the lead was correctly wired.

So what I don't want to do is to strip the wire out as I have done a brilliant job of running it. What can I do to check that the lead is working short of removing the battery to check the power to the wires :?

Really wanted this job out the way but like most jobs I undertake, there is always some bloody complication.

Thanks all :worship:

Without knowing more of the detail it sounds like a job for an electrical meter - £10 from screwfix and an essential for any toolbox.

This will allow you to test whether the wires are running power all the way through.
Are you sure the earth is connecting properly ?

rob_p said:
Without knowing more of the detail it sounds like a job for an electrical meter - £10 from screwfix and an essential for any toolbox.

Are you sure the earth is connecting properly ?

Hi Rob,

Good shout - I'll get the meter on it tomorrow. I believe the earth is as good as it can be, I also removed it from the nut by the fuse box and placed it firmly against the metal door panel. Times like this i wish I went for a Pro install :frustrated:

With the meter you can also check that you have power at the fuse tap.

Try another fuse also maybe?

rob_p said:
With the meter you can also check that you have power at the fuse tap.

Try another fuse also maybe?

:thumb: Will do - I will report back hopefully with some good news :roll:

After a good nights sleep I went out had a brief tinker and the Cam fired up :lol: The only change I made was ensuring that both fuses had the same rating :dont know:

Went for a drive to test it out and I am glad to say it all works perfectly. Anybody thinking about a Dash Cam then I would highly recommend the Garmin 65w which comes with Lifetime Speed Cameras and a whole host of other clever functions :thumb:

Good work!
Looks like a nice unit - I didn't realise they did things like speed cameras and lane departure etc.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back