Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Falken Azenis FK510 review

Alex

5 weeks ago I fit some new rubber on the front to replace my well used Nankang NS2 tyres. I fancied sticking some Falkens on as the rears are Falken Azenis FK453 and I was quite suited with them.

Well......what can I say.......give me my Nankangs back!!!! I'm not keen on these Falkens at all. Why, well the grip on them on the front is just too good and it's turned the car into a death trap!!! The best thing about the Nankangs were they were really grippy but ALWAYS let go and started to under-steer just as you felt the back end was going to whip out. They acted as a safety warning to let you know you were just stepping over the mark.
These Falkens are a nightmare. No under-steer whatsoever and the back end skating around like a 3rd rate Jayne Torvill impersonator. I've never felt so uncomfortable in the car when having a blast. I will admit, the conditions since having them fitted has not been great up here in wet Lancashire and I really want to be able to give them the test in the (warmth &) dry, but as yet, jury's still out on them.
I never thought I'd dislike tyres because they gripped too well!! I don't know where to go from here as I'm already running 295s on the rear. Might see if I can get some under-steer tracked in and take it from there.....or see if I can get the 510 on the rear to replace the 453.

falken-azenis-fk510-thumb.jpg

Did you always run 295 at the back?

asterix_the_gaul said:
Did you always run 295 at the back?

Yes.

wasz said:
hmmmm.

I would get matching tyres all round of the correct sizes and get a geo done.

Then you should have a balanced car as Pinky Lai intended.

I think that's what I now have......but preferred the unintended under-steer.

Hi Alex.

Could it be that your old Nangkangs were 'well worn' and therefore even if the Falkens are grippier by tread design this is even more apparent as they are also brand new.

You might find you adapt your driving and at the same time they will wear in a bit :?:

That's a bit strange?

Any reason you didn't go for the FK453 all round rather than a mix of the compounds (this maybe where the issue lays).

I have the 453's on all 4 corners and can say the handling was as good as the Conti's they replaced

Hope you sort it out

You must drive it like youve stolen it to get all this understeer and back stepping out. I struggle to get anything out of mine.

I bought the 510 because its a newer design and supposed to be better than the 453. They'll be on the front for around 3 times longer than the rears, which no doubt will be worn out by summer. I'll most likely get the 510 on the rear then. Therefore, didn't make sense to put the 453 on the front.

Yeah, my pants are usually on fire when the oil's up to temp. :wink:

if you are going for budget/low end tyres like Falken then I would do all 4. surely avoiding damage to your car and bigger excesses and injuring yourself and others is more important that saving a few squids on rear tyres?

the front does the steering but all the weight, traction and grip is at the rear of the 911 so why would you risk it and not change the rears as well?

especially in this weather when its cold and slippy and you are running summer tyres? if I was using a 911 all year round I would be on winter tyres right now and switch when its reglulary above 7c

just don't get it. get some 510s on the rear I would say before you have a buggy!

are you running 225 or 235 up front? if you are on 295s on the rear and 225 on the front then you need to move to 235 to neutralise the balance.

The 453s are only a few months old. I can't justify swapping tyres for fun, especially when the 510s may be the exact same handling.

it wont be fun when you are in a ditch!!

maybe the 510 is more of an all season compound and tread and by looking at it and the reports it is. hence why cheaper than a 453 on the front too maybe?

the 453 is a summer tyre full stop and its not going to do well in these conditions. plus you have a different compound on the front so its no wonder you are all over the place.

I have just stuck some winter tyres on the blue baron C2. why? the summers were all over the place, its is winter and greasy, its mainly sat around so fine to do that on winters and when I do drive it I want to make sure i can enjoy it.

But the 453s never ever let go when I had the nankangs on the front. They are grippy as hell, but I guess the 510 are that bit grippier in the wet. Roll on decent dry weather before my psm bulb pops.

nankangs are bottom of the pile when it comes to tyres. their semi slick RS2 or whatever its is, is ok for super dry weather and track work but all their other stuff is junk. no wonder you had no front end on the car.

if you look here the 510 has much better wet and even dry grip compared to the 453 so you have a real imbalance on the car.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Falken/Azenis-FK510.htm

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Falken/FK453.htm

the 453 is a very old tyre now/design and tyre tech is moving fast . some of the new Michelin stuff like the PS4S is just amazing in terms of dry and wet grip and stopping power.

I never said I had no front end. Grip on them was comparable with my previous Contis. I said the front gave up before the rear.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back