Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New projectors and LED mains.

Endoman

I have been running Tore B's hid kit for quite a while but the main beam was dismal. I tried an LED main which was much better but a bit of a narrow beam. I came across a thread on Rennlist where people had fitted Morimoto Bi-Xenons.
The kit arrived today after nearly a month and I've fitted the r/h one.
Main beam is fantastic, dip not a lot different the cut off is very sharp and flat so you don't get as much throw up the nearside.
It appears to be a lot easier to fit to the USA headlights because the levelling motor is absent so it wasn't a doddle. The LEDs have been replaced with better ones but they needed a lot of fiddling to fit.
I'll post some comparative pics in a while.
With the Bi-xenon projectors and Tore's hids you could keep std main bulbs.
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/1036362-best-hid-upgrade.html

That thread on Rennlist is fascinating.

However, I'm still rather confused about what you actually get in a Morimoto kit and what it does differently than just fitting HIDs. I probably need to re-read the thread and actually concentrate!

Anyhow, i'd be interested to see pictures of your installation.

tim

I've just done this Morimoto conversion on mine (Tore HID plus LED main) but not had the chance to get out on the road yet. Certainly looks promising against the garage wall!

The Morimoto kit is simply a replacement projector unit but where the dip beam cut off 'gate' (fixed in original) is solenoid controlled so that when main beam is selected it flips out of the way allowing the projector (normally only dipped beam) to become a main beam as well. Bring on the light!

I was confused at first but it's pretty simple. The projector has a solenoid which flips the cut off plate out of the way when you select main beam. You can connect the main beam to the flipper mechanism so that you have double mains with a rapid response normal main for flashing.
Just done a run on local unlit roads and as the Yanks say it's awesome.
The first LED I used for main was one with braided mesh heat sinks pretty easy to fit. The current one has a higher output and has a bulky heat sink which requires a bit of trimming to the surrounding plastic, probably overkill and non reversible. Internal mods required to the connector terminals.

One of the best mods I've done. The Morimoto projectors with Tore's Hid kit is pretty easy to do and the result is amazing.

I've also fitted a similar arrangement to my car, with the Mini Morimotos providing bi-xenon (dip and main beam) lighting and the original main beams still in place with standard halogen bulbs. They work very well, although it's quite fiddly to fit them due to needing to make brackets to mount the HID assemblies securely in the headlamp housing.

They are night and day (pun intended) compared to the original lights however, so I consider it a very worthwhile upgrade.

Not sure why you have a problem unless you haven't used Tore's hids and the rear pod lid with the bosses for the ballast, wasn't on the very early cars. It's not a cheap modification but well worth it.
See and be seen, especially in this weather.
If anyone fancies this mod get the improved bulb holder with the kit and ask TRS to use any courier other than USPS 'cos it will end up with Parcelforce.
You can get the projectors themselves from EM tuning in UK but I'm not sure if they do the 993 kit and make sure you order rhd.
There is a difference with the Row cars to the US models as we have levelling motors and it makes things a bit tighter in there. With a bit of effort the motors can be rotated counter clock-wise to ease fitting and then turned back to lock position afterwards.
With a bit of ingenuity you could make your own mounting with aluminium brackets and spacers like the guy did on Rennlist.Realignment will be needed afterwards.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back