Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 - a Porsche Classic

thesmithsUK

Now that Porsche themselves are designating the 996 a 'Classic', I thought I'd better fit the correct registration plate holders!

HLc6asq.jpg

eyfplC5.jpg

Ha ha, nice. I like it.

Perhaps I should start wearing flat cap and growing a beard :grin:

Interesting (the marketing people at) Porsche chose a C4S as the main image of the newsletter.

Looks like I have balls'd up on 'maintaining the originality' aspect of my car!

It will be interesting to see where the 996 positions itself over the next 20 years. My gut feel is it will be highly appreciated. The first water-cooled... It dared to be 'different'... The look of them is ageing really well I think.

Bu996r , now all the guys I know with 996s are going to be wearing sandals with socks and talking hourly about the value of their cars going up :grin: :grin:

Phil 997 said:
Bu996r , now all the guys I know with 996s are going to be wearing sandals with socks and talking hourly about the value of their cars going up :grin: :grin:

And only going to meets in the fri997ng summer months :sad:

At least we save 6 months car tax now :grin:

:thumb:

Phil 997 said:

I only wear the socks in the winter....

It's a nice thing to see, and a (personal) validation in some ways of my decision to go for an OEM+ route for the modifications I'm doing to the car.

Love that the beard-and-sandals wonks are called "Illuminati" in the air-cooled forums :D .

We don't want any of that nonsense here. :hand:

Y2K said:
Ha ha, nice. I like it.

Perhaps I should start wearing flat cap and growing a beard :grin:

Interesting (the marketing people at) Porsche chose a C4S as the main image of the newsletter.

I've already got a beard and occasionally wear a flat cap... err and I've got a C4S....

I think I'm going to ask in the 993 forum for footwear recommendations

To be at one with your 996 you have drive with bare feet .....

It's the illuminati way :thumb:

Some say.... They deny the existence of antifreeze and will only drink tea if the water is boiled in a saucepan :dont know:

I found 993 ownership a bit difficult towards the end when the values started going up seriously, kind of took the fun out of it as the worry of using it devalueing as the mileage increased, stonechips, rust etc, toxic thought process really, I can't see 996 going silly as there are just so many more of them..

I don't give a t*ss what it's worth, I bought mine ( 2002 C4S ) to drive. it's currently sitting on it's winter wheels and tyres ready for the next snowfall. I've put 35k miles on mine in the past 5 years, taking it from a garage queenly 40k to a more usable classic 75k. The car drives better than ever, all of the key maintenance items have been rectified ( rads,condensers,water pump, discs n pads, exhaust,clutch n flywheel, LTT, wheel refurb, centre gravity set up, coffin arms, top mounts etc etc ). It is ready for another 75k miles, it runs like a dream, and has now done the sort of mileage where I don't care about the numbers on the clock.
At 100k I shall declare in worthless and enjoy it all the more, fixing stuff as it wears out/breaks, respray it when the paintwork gets all scabby, and enjoy some more. When the engine dies, it will go off to Hartech for a full monty rebuild, ready for a whole load more miles.
Having a great drivers car and being scared to drive it seems really sad, for both the owner and the car, as these cars need to be driven to keep them tip top. Having one sitting under a cover in a garage for weeks on end seems pointless, if you want an investment, buy art.
This is only my opinion of course, and like arseh*les, we all have one, and they are all different. :D :D

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back