Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Porsche Buyers Guides
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 14
997 : 2004- 79
996 : 1997-2005 46
993 : 1993-1998 5
964 : 1989-1993 6
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 0
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 1
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 0
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 13
Cayman : 2005- 18
Cayenne : 2003- 8
Macan : 2014- 4
Panamera : 2009- 1
912-914-924-928-944-968 3
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 1
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

deMort
Reims

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The plastic cap on the slave cyl .. it doesnt often break .. it can but not often and ive seen 1 or 2 shall we say .

Your doing well with the brake pipes and as you say .. it sounds easy , especially if your paying someone .. the reality is a bit different if you are actually doing it.

Doing well so far though and i know full well what you are going through .. so ... worship

Thumb

7pm - 9pm
At an Indy these days !

wasz
Indianapolis

1999 Porsche 996 Carrera 2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demort wrote:
Doing well so far though and i know full well what you are going through .. so ... worship

Thanks - chipping away at it!

The afternoons effort was putting a new o ring on the top AOS hose, and sliding it home. If anyone else is doing this then a new o ring will help! The old one was hard and brittle stopping it going in.

Also finished up the brake lines, new flexy and stainless nipples:

That copper line is the NSR and was replaced before my time. Te brake nuts are M10x1 (11mm spanner) and one m12 (13mm spanner) in this block. My car does not have pasm so there is just one line to the rear brakes that splits here.

Also I removed the trim forward of the rear wheel. This traps MUD! loads of it, I was apprehensive about what I might find here after reading Thomp1983's thread http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=124042

It looks much better than I feared. I stabbed around with a screwdriver and its solid.

The jack point has a crust layer.

I will buzz it all off with wire wheel in grinder, and give it all a coat of POR15, along with the brace bar. Hope the other side is OK too....

Hopefully next instalment I will get to the RMS and IMSB.

2hrs today. Special tools: Drill to remove those stupid trim screws. There must be an alternative to putting those back in?

Last edited by wasz on Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

infrasilver
Fast & Furious
Fast & Furious

2001 Porsche 996 Targa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some of my underside metal braces with POR15 last year as they were starting to look a little...old, but still fine in general.

I am also planning to pull that large grommet off mine this year and waxoyl the innards of both sills to prevent any potential rust issues.

wasz
Indianapolis

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

infrasilver wrote:
I did some of my underside metal braces with POR15 last year as they were starting to look a little...old, but still fine in general.

I am also planning to pull that large grommet off mine this year and waxoyl the innards of both sills to prevent any potential rust issues.

Yep I'll do the same. There is a grommet near the front too., I'm in two minds as to wether they should stay out....

You can see in my pic a vertical grommet, I think this lets you access the sill, so easier to spray the waxoil down into the sill.

At the front if you remove the arch liner a big vent pops out the end of the sill and you can get a clear view down the sill.

I'll post a pic tomorrow if I get chance.

Anyone reading this - pop these trims off your sill ends, clean up and protect before its too late!

Marky911
Barcelona

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good work Wasz!

Cleaning and painting my inner rear arches is the next job on my list. I'm apprehensive too, over what hidden nasties there may be.

Mind you I've got to get my car back first. frustrated

wasz
Indianapolis

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the front of the passenger side sill, the paint is flaky on the leading edge, but looks pretty good once the mud is removed.

I have everything in this corner removed as I was doing the brake pipe (arch liner, metal cover) and I pulled the plastic vent out of the sill.

I know MX-5 owners that would kill for sills like this.

Bit of minor surface rust from condensation, a dousing in waxoil or similar should keep the rust at bay indefinitely.

You get good access here, and can poke a wand or tube into the inner cavity from here.

wasz
Indianapolis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OPC comes up trumps for parts again.

Updated release arm, clip, ball pin etc
Release bearing guide tube
tensioner o rings (worlds most expensive o rings, what is it about porsche o rings, need to be right though)
cam end plug

For a good chunk less £ than design911, deroure, rosepassion etc.

Got a sachs clutch slave from cp4l.

Hopefully this is the last parts haul for a while.

wasz
Indianapolis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a couple of hours in tonight.

1) Got the plastic trims off the sill on the other side. Sill internals look similar to the photos above, no worries really.

The rear bit where the brace bar bolts to is usually covered by the plastic trim and full of wet mud is a little crusty but solid when stabbed hard with an old screwdriver. Looks like I have got to my car in time - another 2/3 years of quietly rusting and I might have been welding.

2) Got the gearbox mounts and two steel brace bars buzzed off and doused in phosphoric acid. Phosphoric acid is the active ingredient in "rust converter" products (also in coca cola to give a sharp taste) it turns iron oxide into iron phosphate, which is very stable. I have a litre of the stuff from https://mistralie.co.uk/products/gel-rust-remover being a gel it will stick to vertical surfaces.

I've seen the brace bars rot through before on other cars... mine seem to be OK but I will spray cavity wax inside them, or maybe submerge in old engine oil or something to keep them sweet.

3) Got my caliper with a snapped nipple off. This is going to a local engineering firm as I don't have an m10x1 tap or anything else if it goes wrong.

That caliper has not been bled properly for a while....

wasz
Indianapolis

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jumping around again...got loads done this afternoon.

1998 dated gearbox mount... Looks OK but 130k+ miles will be sagging probably.

cut the middle out and a few horizontal and vertical cuts - this bush has metal outer - most are plastic I believe.

The new bush just slid in. HAHAHAHA

I had to make a slight taper on one end of the bush with a flap disc in the grinder. Also there is a taper on one side of the gearbox. This helped get it started then I smacked it home with a lump hammer and the adapter lent by Gixxer.

Broke out the POR15

Found TDC and stuck a cut down 8mm drill bit in

cam timing looks bob on, not slight variations here:

Made a camlock tool

Put it in place near the waterpump. The workshop manual doesn't bother with this.

Whipped out the tensioners, these will get new o rings and washer seals

I pondered how to clean the face up, rags didn't touch the dust. I then just sprayed brake cleaner at it and there were rivers of clutch dust. I just emptied the can at it, super.

Then I whipped the ims bearing cover off as per workshop manual to reveal another perfect IMS bearing, smooth and zero play

Seal flicked off

The revised IMS cover seal is too fat for the groove in my cover, so I just cleaned it up and buttoned it up again with plenty sealant.

The casualties:

7 hours today, inc making tool.

Special tools: camlock, disposable paintbrushes.

infrasilver
Fast & Furious
Fast & Furious

2001 Porsche 996 Targa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7 hours well spent Thumb

Marky911
Barcelona

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still beavering away Wasz. Good progress.

Great minds think alike.

I almost left my old one in and added a power flex one, but I figured why prop up an old worn one with something else when I can buy a new standard one.
It has just been fitted this week for my box finally going back in.

One question -
Is that tensioner on the right ok?
It looks like it isn't fully extended. I'm only asking as when my indy pulled mine out he found this (one on the right) -

Spring must have snapped inside or something as it's not extended fully.
That's the replacement one on the left.

Apparently the new ones from Porsche have been revised and only work with the revised ramps/pads which you can only access during a rebuild. Luckily for me my indy had a good used one in his spares so he's stuck that in.

Anyway, I could be totally wrong. I'm not sure if they are different lengths anyway, but just thought I'd mention it before you put it all back together.

Also for the record, my car didn't have much in the way of rattles or anything. It did rattle for a split second on a cold start, if it had sat a few weeks but loads of cars do that. It ran perfectly with no noises other than that though. Glad my indy found it anyway.

wasz
Indianapolis

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks marky Calling demort to the forum!!!! Very Happy

That "shorter" one is the primary chain tensioner (goes in horizontally).

Any info on testing this before I put it back gratefully received. As far as i know there is no spring inside these originals, the later revision added a spring, there were some that used a different chain and pad type too, this post kinda explains it https://www.renntech.org/forums/topic/41236-updated-chain-tensioner/?do=findComment&comment=219308 . Cefalu on that thread notes the primary tensioner is short.

It may not be extended as far as the other because a) its different, or b) in that position it doesn't get extended so far and theres no oil pressure on the bench pushing it out? I will try manually pulling it out....

They originally have different part numbers so will be different.
primary 99610518054
other one 99610517958

I do have a very brief clatter on startup....they all do that as far as I found looking at cars, the renntech post indicates a 99610518057 number part eliminates that with some kind of spring.

Marky911
Barcelona

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mornin, Wasz,

Could well be A) It's meant to be like that as it's different.

I just spotted this pic for a Boxster and the text says all 3 are different.
So yours is probably the shorter one in the pic. Mine was one of the two bigger ones but looked like a short one as it wasn't working properly.

If they all felt spring loaded as you undone them they are probably fine. My faulty one had no resistance as my Indy removed it so he was suspicious of it before he even had it out of the block. Thumb

deMort
Reims

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Already answered Very Happy

The tensioners have 1 or 2 rings on them .. the head has a matching ring so you can see which one goes where .

That type of tensioner and theres a small cotter pin that stops it extending to far so if its not reaching that there might be a problem .

All three tensioners are different .. hence its pretty bad if you mix them up .

There is a modified type of tensioner but im pretty sure theres other mods needed to actually fit it .

I remember this from a while back when i was replaceing one and this new type turned up .. parts guy told me it was the correct one .. i refused to fit it as it was obviously different .. he reordered the original one and that was the same as what came out so i was happy to fit it .

7pm - 9pm
At an Indy these days !

INWB
Silverstone

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In awe of the OP. I struggle knowing one of the spanner to the other but love threads like this. Things start making sense....

Keep up the good work

wasz
Indianapolis

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

INWB wrote:
In awe of the OP. I struggle knowing one of the spanner to the other but love threads like this. Things start making sense....

Keep up the good work

Too kind, I firmly believe the best way to learn is to have a go. My dad was an engineer and had me fixing cars, but I chose desk based work.

Working on my car is my hands on fix. It might take me a lot longer than a mechanic (especially as I'm rarely doing more than 4 hours a week on it...), but half the fun for me is doing it myself. And buying /making tools.

i like to post about is as I have got so much value from others doing similar jobs over the years, unfortunately this thread does jump around jobs as I do them / get parts / tools / time.

Last edited by wasz on Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:21 pm; edited 2 times in total

wasz
Indianapolis

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marky911 wrote:
So yours is probably the shorter one in the pic. Mine was one of the two bigger ones but looked like a short one as it wasn't working properly.

Demort wrote:
Already answered Very Happy

Thanks both for the replies! yes I think the one on the right in my pic is the shorter one, it won't extend if I pull it. I did feel it springing out as I unwound it.

Marky911
Barcelona

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wasz wrote:

Thanks both for the replies! yes I think the one on the right in my pic is the shorter one, it won't extend if I pull it. I did feel it springing out as I unwound it.

That sounds right then. Sorry for the false alarm. Box In

wasz
Indianapolis

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marky911 wrote:
wasz wrote:

That sounds right then. Sorry for the false alarm. Box In

No worries - thats the great thing about the forum. When doing work I post pics and people will catch things I don't know, like this could have been not right and you could have saved me loads of hassle down the line! Always query things and don't feel silly if not right!

Kryton
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic job OP and well done Thumb

2Lt 718 Cayman (weekday drive)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: