Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Car Play Double Din unit - Has anyone done a DIY install?

N1ckC

Evening,
I am looking to change the head unit in my 2007 997 to an Apple Car Play to give me all of the features I want from it.
I have spoken to someone very knowledgeable on here about it & he suggested posting a question on here to see if anyone has done it their self & if so do they have part details, pics etc?

I am technical, just wondering if it's a challenge or relatively simple if you know what to do, tools & parts required etc. I have the Bose set up so I know I need the relevant fibre connector harness.

Any assistance is very much appreciated as I could get it fitted by an ICE installer but obviously they will charge a premium on parts, fitting & because its a Porsche! :)

I think there have been lots of posts over time on this issue....

I did mine a few years ago. Personally I wouldn't t bother with the fibre interface - it's quite expensive and not really necessary.
You have 2 choices - either install a 5 channel amp or replace the door speakers (or both!).
Either way you will need the £25 wiring interfaces to do the job.

Like this:
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=171301038236&globalID=EBAY-GB

This enables you to use the factory wiring using the current amp connector - you can then bypass the bose amp and all the fibre optics.
The amp enables the correct ohms for the bose speakers which run at 2ohms - if you don't want to use an amp then you need to replace the speakers with standard 4 ohm speakers and then you can connect straight to the new HU.

Getting the door cards off is a bit of a hassle but that is the toughest part.

If you buy an amp the 5 channels are front x2, rear x2 and 1x door woofers (wired in series to boost the ohms from 1 to 2).

Good luck!

From what he's said in previous posts I Think its worth noting that Nick wants to be able to re fit the PCM 2.1 to return to stock at a time when he's ready to move it on. So some of the more radical audiophile quality retro fits may be great but wont work for him. :thumb:

did it last weekend.

Connects2 adapter and patch lead
Pioneer 230DAB unit
fascia adapter
DAB aerial

totally reversible, no soldering.

about 750 quid all in

Alpine do a double din unit. iLX-702 from memory. I am considering fitting one to my 981 as the CDR 31 is absolutely appalling. :thumb:

redbaron1973 said:

Thats a nice job and the whole lot was cheaper than I paid just for the alpine head unit. :thumb: :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cooper9000
Back