Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

PCM Unit Update - I really dont want a brick

Jake911

Silverstone
Hi Guys

Been researching from a number of on-line sources as to the best way to update the Firmware and maps on my PCM 2 (MY 2005 -- 997.1)

SW Version 1.0
Unit: PCM
Target: 04202JD1/3004

System Software
Target: 04113AD1/1104 ---------Which I assume is an (A)

Amplifier -------Bose
Target: 00017500/3504

Navigation System
Target: /
Actual: 00174156/2704
Entered: Yes
Found: Yes

CD Changer
Target: C38/3003
Actual: C38/2702 --------- Have a Denison BT Fitted ? (Variance)

*I haven't included actuals unless there is a variance.

Now I have also read that if the Menu doesn't show the update button then the PCM has been locked and will require Porsche to do the install.

Can anyone confirm that this is indeed correct, I would really like to update the unit as I think that this may be causing issues with my Denison BTs.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

:thumbs:

Firstly you have a PCM 2.1 (not 2.0)

Your Bose AMP is the newer model, so you won't brick it if you update the software.

Assuming you have sourced the update discs from a reliable source, you just need to insert CD1 and CD2, and follow the instructions on your PCM.

Depending on what "date" you have on your Navigation Disc, it may or may not work, and you may need a newer Navigation Disc eg if it is 10.2004 or older it will not work once you update the software from 1.0 to 3.0.

You would need to get hold of a xx.2012 Navigation Disc for the latest maps. Just to confuse you even more, there is a small chance the xx.2012 disc will not work until you have inserted a xx.2005 disc (which contains a further update on it)!

Jake911 said:
Now I have also read that if the Menu doesn't show the update button then the PCM has been locked and will require Porsche to do the install.

This is complete nonsense!

Thank you

That makes a lot of sense, really appreciate the feedback :thumb:

I just updated mine, it really was a breeze.
Make sure you follow the instructions carefully and do exactly what it tells you. I started by removing my previous navigation disc and when it came time for me to update the navigation it kept on telling me that it is unable to update, I went back through the instructions again and I wasn't meant to remove the old navigation disc until prompted to!
I did the update with the engine running to ensure that there wouldn't be any drop in electrical power.
I got my discs from these guys: http://www.satnavishop.co.uk/2016-porsche-pcm21-navigation-sat-nav-map-update-disc-259-p.asp

I really need to get round to doing this! Glad it worked well. What additional features does V3 give?

Thanks Guys,

I installed the upgrade literally 5 minutes ago and the whole process took less than 10 minutes. Really easy install. The unit is now showing SW Version 3 with 2015 maps. Not sure of the overall benefits other than updated maps but I am glad I have done the update as these small things niggle me

:thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Milno
Back