Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Coolant Level

Driver77

After noticing my coolant level was just below the minimum indication when the engine was cold, I topped up with 0.5 litre of water but I decided to run into my OPC. They assessed the vehicle and discovered a leak emanating from the front coolant pipes. This has all been sorted and both pipes replaced under warranty, however upon collecting the vehicle today and driving home, I've noticed the level is below minimum again.

The OPC made clear to me that they had made sure that they had road tested and let it cool down and quality checked the levels. Shall I just add another 0.5 litre of water or should it be coolant. Any ideas why this could be, maybe an airlock?

These cars take some 32 litres of coolant, and they're a bit of a ***** to replace in full, so just add some distilled water or fresh coolant, and keep an eye on it in case of a new leak. But I'd say, half a litre isn't much to worry about.

If you have a Warranty I would go back to the OPC and get them to check all the coolant pipes for leaks.

If one set of pipes has sprung a leak there is a good chance others could too due to their age

Top it up and see what happens, then decide your next course of action.

Added 0.5 litre of water when cold this morning. Drove to the OPC, they took the car into the workshop and opened the cap, whilst the engine was still warm (not sure that was adviseable, but hey, I'm not the expert). They claimed that this released some pressure and the reservoir level actually rose. They then advised they added less than 0.5 litre of coolant taking the level to half way between min and max.

I checked myself and all seemed well. Drove the car a fair bit today and when home and the engine had cooled I've been out to check again and the level indicates below minimum. I'm at a loss as to what's going on as they have replaced the corroded coolant pipes. Could this be purely an air lock?

Jam911 said:
If you have a Warranty I would go back to the OPC and get them to check all the coolant pipes for leaks.

If one set of pipes has sprung a leak there is a good chance others could too due to their age

I have the warranty and both front pipes were replaced, initial leak on one but apparently other appeared corrodes too, hope it's nothing more sinister.

Keep checking and topping off.
With a few heat cycles, running with the 'burp' valve flipped up (wireloop in the expansion cap) and climate on max heat that should do it.
HTH.

As Jonno says keep doing it , they do get airlocks in them , when I did mine it needed about 4 top ups before it finally settled down. :thumb:

Do OPC's not use a vacuum filling system to fill the cooling system to prevent air locks or do they just pour it in?

toffeeman said:
Do OPC's not use a vacuum filling system to fill the cooling system to prevent air locks or do they just pour it in?
I believe most do, but heater matrix and pipe angles make things a bit tricky.

When the lvl drops on a hot engine to that degree but raises when cooled down or when pressure is released it indicates an air lock .. trust me they are a pain to bleed !

You will get a small drop but not to the degree you seem to have and coupled with the work you have had done then this is what i suspect .

The best way to clear is a good 20 mile run then leave it over night to cool down .. i have no idea why but this seems to release the air lock over night .

This may have to be done twice .

If the lvl is still low after this then there will be a leak but to be honest i would have thought an external leak would be obvious by now .

OPC and indy use a vacumn fill method but its not fool profe .. ive been caught out before with air locks that i thought were fine .. it happens to all of us im afraid as the car tends to go back to the customer rather than be tested over a couple of days to make sure its fine .

Demort said:
When the lvl drops on a hot engine to that degree but raises when cooled down or when pressure is released it indicates an air lock .. trust me they are a pain to bleed !

You will get a small drop but not to the degree you seem to have and coupled with the work you have had done then this is what i suspect .

The best way to clear is a good 20 mile run then leave it over night to cool down .. i have no idea why but this seems to release the air lock over night .

This may have to be done twice .

If the lvl is still low after this then there will be a leak but to be honest i would have thought an external leak would be obvious by now .

OPC and indy use a vacumn fill method but its not fool profe .. ive been caught out before with air locks that i thought were fine .. it happens to all of us im afraid as the car tends to go back to the customer rather than be tested over a couple of days to make sure its fine .

Many thanks for this, I've emailed the OPC, they need to offer a response, which I'm sure they will.

I had a similar issue not too long ago.

coolant level would keep dropping despite regular top up, despite replacing some of the pipes and connections.

The issue in the end turned out to be the coolant tank, which was cracked and therefore kept leaking, dropping on the pipes which would make it look like they were leaking. had also quiet a bit of coolant dropping on the exhaust. replacing the tank in the end solved the problem!

Ah as fate would have it after following this thread for a few days, I found my coolant level low today and upon inspection and the guided by the sweet smell I find my nearside rad has a small leak , can't be stone damage as its fitted with grilles anyway new one ordered to be fitted ASAP .

Level's do seem to be abit all over on these.

I changed my front rad pipes myself. Not a tricky job and yes, for a while i was topping water up - Eventually after a 2000 mile road trip around Europe (and various max speed runs :cop: ) It sorted itself out.

I definitely wouldn't get worried if it levels off at the min line. If it doesn't drop anymore after the Min, I'd say that's its optimum level and any more you're putting in is just being blown out..

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briant1000
Back