Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.2 engine failure: rebuild or replace

BriceV

Hi,
I am looking for opinions on rebuild vs replace. I bought a 997.2 C2s from RPM in September with 68k miles. It quickly appeared that the oil consumption was too high. I sent it for a service to RGA Porsche in Vauxhall where Bob showed me the oil filter had metallic particles in it which clearly indicated a serious problem. I returned the car to RPM for inspection. They spotted metallic particles as well in the oil and they decided to strip out the engine. They discovered spun bearings which made quite some damage inside the engine. Obviously I bought a 997 gen 2 in part for the added piece of mind of a more reliable engine. But bad things happen even to non-996/997.1 engines. RPM obviously offered to rebuild the engine and to cover the costs (£11k). They also gave a call to Porsche which are offering a brand new engine with 2 year guarantee for £15k. I am now left with the choice to either ask RPM to rebuild the engine for free, or to pay the difference from my personal wallet (£4k) and drive away with a brand new engine with a 2 year guarantee. I am not trying to point the finger at anyone here. RPM have been very pro-active in trying to help me analyse the situation. But I am interested in the opinion of more experienced Porsche lovers around here or more engine knowledgeable people than me about rebuild vs replace.
Let me know what you think.

Sad to here about a gen2 failure.
I personally would go with a brand new engine, its extremely unlikely to go wrong again, certainly whilst you own it!
Good luck whatever you decide

IMHO a new Porsche engine every time :thumb: not sure I would want anything gen 2 that wasn't 100% Porsche.

What would the rebuild include? (guessing all new moving parts in the bottom end - crank? bores?).

What does "a new engine" include? (i'm guessing just the bottom end).

If my guesses are correct, RPM are a reputable engine builder and either way you are getting new moving parts. It is possible RPM are as good at assembling engines as Porsche so personally I would save my £4k if they can mirror the 2 year guarantee.

Fantastic to hear RPM standing by the car, theres no way they could have known at sale time.

New engine from Porsche will be complete unit minus a couple of bolt on bits. I'd go new Porsche engine as how much is a 2 year warranty theses days £1.5 - 2k?

When my GT3 let go this is what I did having 2 year of worry free motoring is worth the extra imo

spongebob squarepants said:
IMHO a new Porsche engine every time :thumb: not sure I would want anything gen 2 that wasn't 100% Porsche.
This is the way to go. :thumbs:

Will greatly help when you come to sell the car on. Honourable of RPM to cover £11K. Certainly worth an investment of £4K in my opinion.

SAD TO HEAR , especially a gen2 but all cars of all marques can have the odd big hiccup , personally I would add the 4k and get a new engine with 2yr warranty the warranty alone would be £1800 if purchased on its own so a new engine for £2200 seems like the best option to me. :thumb:

Another vote for the new engine. Like others have said, it is very unlikely it will go again.

Sorry to hear. As others have said, a bit of bad luck you've copped as you don't often go pop. IF RPM are going to outsource the work to Hartech, I'd be inclined to save the £4k.
Outside of that id push back and see if Porsche could close the gap some way.....then stump up the diffetence

Wow spun crank bearings :eek:

It must have been thrashed from cold and had a very bad previous owner.

New engine from Porsche every time .

Presuming you can afford it.

Good luck.

Porsche engine all the way :thumb:

Oh and it sounds like RPM are treating you well.. :thumbs:

I agree, new engine from Porsche but contrary to a couple of comments, the two year warranty will likely only cover the engine, not most of the vehicle like the typical extended warranty we buy, so not the couple of grand benefit as stated. Its just the normal warranty on new parts which is not to be undervalued but not quite as suggested here in the comments.

A brand new Porsche approved engine with 2 year warranty for 4 grand, bargain.

easternjets said:
A brand new Porsche approved engine with 2 year warranty for 4 grand, bargain.
:yes:

If the new engine is a complete unit its a no brainer

Although as the post above suggested, to cause that kind of damage the prior owner must have had either zero mechanical sympathy or been a regular track goer skipping services

i would be worried about other components, and perhaps asking for a refund on the car and find another one

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back