Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Ordered Ohlins. Need advice on engine and gearbox mounts.

RXP.

Hey Guys,

So I picked my new to me 911 on Monday 997.1 C2S. The car was from a member on here who owned it for the last 2 years.

Good spec. PSE, Chrono, Sports Seats and the all important ( to me) Manual box with Porsche fitted short shift kit.

A Credit to Jason, he kept the car in very good condition indeed. A very nice chap to. :thumbs:

I have ordered up a set of the Ohlins road and track coilovers from Design911.

Has anyone fitted these? Or any coilovers themselves? Looking at the Pasm set up. Would potentially need a pass through socket set.

Also I would like to change at the same time Engine and Gearbox Mounts.
Any recommendations?

Currently leaning towards the RSS mounts for the engine and the powerflex polybush inserts for the gearbox (not sure yellow or black).

Oh yes and 15mm squared spacers on the Lobsters? with a close to as possible GEO to GT2/3 specs.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

morning RXP i haven't fitted coil overs to mine but do have the RSS engine mounts and i have to say they are great and regarded as one of the best for our cars. With regards to the powerflex mounts have a look through the treads as there was a lot of discussion about these when they came out last year and quite a few members bought some me included (although they didn't fit my car as they are not made for the 4s) so i cant comment on them but there is lots on here to read through as i think there are better available. Phil will tell you

Not sure what you will need a pass through socket set for? if you are talking about the cable coming out of the top of the sock you shouldn't need to remove this unless you are reusing the old top mounts. If so i have removed these from a sock by buy a cheap long socket from ebay then cutting a hole in the side of it with a grinder it work a treat. I also used a tool from a grinder to lock into the notch on one side of the plate and push against it with the other prong to stop the plate turning. If you do this you will see what i mean.

also get some pics up of your new toy

:thumbs:

Thefinn said:
morning RXP i haven't fitted coil overs to mine but do have the RSS engine mounts and i have to say they are great and regarded as one of the best for our cars. With regards to the powerflex mounts have a look through the treads as there was a lot of discussion about these when they came out last year and quite a few members bought some me included (although they didn't fit my car as they are not made for the 4s) so i cant comment on them but there is lots on here to read through as i think there are better available. Phil will tell you

Not sure what you will need a pass through socket set for? if you are talking about the cable coming out of the top of the sock you shouldn't need to remove this unless you are reusing the old top mounts. If so i have removed these from a sock by buy a cheap long socket from ebay then cutting a hole in the side of it with a grinder it work a treat. I also used a tool from a grinder to lock into the notch on one side of the plate and push against it with the other prong to stop the plate turning. If you do this you will see what i mean.

also get some pics up of your new toy

:thumbs:

Hey Finn, Thanks for the reply. Yes you are right that is exactly what I am considering.

To remove and refit the top mounts and all the washers onto the coilovers. Except purchase new bearings all around.

( the other option is to leave the current set up as they are, complete, and just purchase all new mounts, bearings, washers, etc. )

I found on ebay a set of sensor sockets which pretty much are exactly that you described (with dremel cut out) however largest is only 19mm and not 21mm front the front.

Or there is a pass through socket set which essentially allow you to pass the pasm wire through without damaging it.

I was considering the polyflex yellow bushings as they were on the Design911 site. I will search the forum now.

the pass through socket might give a better chance of not damaging the cable but those nuts are on tight so you might struggle to hold the plate still while using a large bar so good luck. I had to use an impact driver to get mine off hence the need for a strut nut socket and i could be talking rubbish but i think that is what Porsche use as well.

Socket link below i wouldn't normally buy cheap tools but you only need it once and you want to cut a hole in the side so something like this should do the job

Demort is your man for top information on jobs like this and if you are really get suck, as he is a a full time very experienced Porsche mechanic and a very helpful chap as well

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Deep-spa...409209?hash=item2f0fbb8039:g:pvoAAOSw9N1VuVgf

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Deep-soc...210461?hash=item56a5e18f9d:g:7IYAAOSwBLlVDx75

hi RXP re the mounts , the three options that most like are the RSS which are very well made and widely used, I fitted to mine the rennline adjustable ones using the yellow bushing which is supposed to be similar to RSS firmness they added a small amount of NVH but nothing excessive Imo , and the improved ride with no swinging engine in the rear more than made up for any small extra NVH . most noticeable in these cars as they hang the engine from the mounts unlike most cars where the engine sits on the mounts.
the other option guys use is OE gt3 engine mounts. Its going to be a case of read reviews on all three and decide which you think will suit your needs.

re the transmission mount this will add more NVH but Powerflex worked quite closely with forum members about 6 months ago to improve and modify their insert as it was causing excessive NVH they joined the forum and theres a thread about it (think it was started by Alex Yates) anyway the outcome was that their R&D guys found the extra material in the old insert was touching the mount and transferring the vibration they modifies it and removed all the excess material and this resolved the issue. they recalled all stock of the old insert and re distributed the new insert . but there maybe a few sellers left with old insert on eBay etc. so make sure you buy the new type and I would reccomend YELLOW for road use ,I am sure you will find the Black too harsh.
other companies selling the insert have not done this modification and still have excess material on the insert so I would avoid , I removed mine from the states as there was just too much NVH .

Make sure your spacers are hubcentric :thumb:

If your within centre gravities reach they are the best for GEO set ups

Ohlins nothing to add spot on :thumb: :thumb:

are you also adding an SSK or has it been already done on the car. if you are going to then consider the gt3 OE ones with the metal bearings it will give you a rifle action gear change and is much better than the cheap eBay SSK's IMO BUT if the budget doesn't allow then the cheapy SSK is better than the stock shifter.

good luck keep us posted on progress. :thumb:

Thefinn said:
the pass through socket might give a better chance of not damaging the cable but those nuts are on tight so you might struggle to hold the plate still while using a large bar so good luck. I had to use an impact driver to get mine off hence the need for a strut nut socket and i could be talking rubbish but i think that is what Porsche use as well.

Socket link below i wouldn't normally buy cheap tools but you only need it once and you want to cut a hole in the side so something like this should do the job

Demort is your man for top information on jobs like this and if you are really get suck, as he is a a full time very experienced Porsche mechanic and a very helpful chap as well

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Deep-spa...409209?hash=item2f0fbb8039:g:pvoAAOSw9N1VuVgf

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Deep-soc...210461?hash=item56a5e18f9d:g:7IYAAOSwBLlVDx75

I think Finn, yours is the best way as that would indeed allow the impact on there and job done quickly.

What I was considering a pass through socket set something like this:
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennli..._6750c2ac6072536a8a9208fcc137f522847de040.jpg

However I am not sure it would allow me to generate enough torque as it looks quite small.

I am waiting for the Coilovers to arrive so I see what kind of washer goes on the top above the top mount. Is it the same as OE in terms of design.
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennli..._add6621bf88d94816881f425e116f07dc3e28380.jpg

I am pretty sure if nothing is seized then its a fairly straight forward install with the exception of pasm wires.

I believe front 21mm rear 19mm sockets?

Phil 997 said:
hi RXP re the mounts , the three options that most like are the RSS which are very well made and widely used, I fitted to mine the rennline adjustable ones using the yellow bushing which is supposed to be similar to RSS firmness they added a small amount of NVH but nothing excessive Imo , and the improved ride with no swinging engine in the rear more than made up for any small extra NVH . most noticeable in these cars as they hang the engine from the mounts unlike most cars where the engine sits on the mounts.
the other option guys use is OE gt3 engine mounts. Its going to be a case of read reviews on all three and decide which you think will suit your needs.

re the transmission mount this will add more NVH but Powerflex worked quite closely with forum members about 6 months ago to improve and modify their insert as it was causing excessive NVH they joined the forum and theres a thread about it (think it was started by Alex Yates) anyway the outcome was that their R&D guys found the extra material in the old insert was touching the mount and transferring the vibration they modifies it and removed all the excess material and this resolved the issue. they recalled all stock of the old insert and re distributed the new insert . but there maybe a few sellers left with old insert on eBay etc. so make sure you buy the new type and I would reccomend YELLOW for road use ,I am sure you will find the Black too harsh.
other companies selling the insert have not done this modification and still have excess material on the insert so I would avoid , I removed mine from the states as there was just too much NVH .

are you also adding an SSK or has it been already done on the car. if you are going to then consider the gt3 OE ones with the metal bearings it will give you a rifle action gear change and is much better than the cheap eBay SSK's IMO BUT if the budget doesn't allow then the cheapy SSK is better than the stock shifter.

Hey Phil,

I did not know any of that, I am going to find the thread and have a read.
I am planning to buy from design911 so i assume it would be new stock.

In your opinion is with worth doing?

Jason had the short shift kit supplied and fitted at a Porsche main dealer.

I do like the idea of the adjustable Rennline engine mounts did you ever feel the need to change them to stiffer inserts?

I'm encouraged that you want to modify your 997 within a week of taking delivery. You won't go wrong with à–hlins and RSS.

Hey Max,
On balance it probably is not very wise.

However it is massively fun.
:thumb:

I think the power is good enough for road use, its just a matter now of attempting to improve the chassis dynamics and make the driving experience more immersive.

RXP. said:
Hey Max,
On balance it probably is not very wise.

However it is massively fun.
:thumb:

I think the power is good enough for road use, its just a matter now of attempting to improve the chassis dynamics and make the driving experience more immersive.

Exactly. I wanted to add involvement too, so I added some noise (H&S/K&N), some lighter rims (OZ), spacers, better tyres, and beefier brakes (Pagid), as well as the RSS mounts and the TPC Racing module. I am planning to improve the set up too, but the parts are still on the way... :mechanic:

RXP. said:
Phil 997 said:

Hey Phil,

I did not know any of that, I am going to find the thread and have a read.
I am planning to buy from design911 so i assume it would be new stock.

In your opinion is with worth doing?

Jason had the short shift kit supplied and fitted at a Porsche main dealer.

I do like the idea of the adjustable Rennline engine mounts did you ever feel the need to change them to stiffer inserts?

The engine mounts are well worth doing , re the rennline ones I was happy with yellow over yellow and never felt the need to change from that set up., but Carrera monkey went Yellow over blue or was it blue over yellow :dont know: anyway he's more than happy with how his feels , again its personal preference but the rennline do give you options to play which the other don't do . if you want a fit and forget then most do go for the RSS
but I also wouldn't dismiss the OE GT3 ones until you have read a bit more about the options.

I know its a bit more hassle but I would urge you to fit the engine mounts first see how you get on get used to them then fit the trans insert , that way you know exactly whats changed for the better or worse and if you then remove the trans insert its only cost you the £30/40 that the insert cost. if you do it all in one go and then find theres too much NVH your left not sure where its coming from.

Good to hear its already got an SSK fitted, other than the stiffness getting into gear when cold its a huge improvement over the stock shifter.

Yes the engine mounts are worth doing the car will feel more planted and flat on corners etc , the trans insert is personal and may be a step too far for some. I had mine on for over a year before removing the insert. but I had the function first ones from the states in yellow also with excess material and haven't fitted the new style power flex ones yet, but am hearing good reports about them.

:thumb: :thumb:

Phil, I had a quick look around for the Powerflex transmission inserts, but didn't see any. Can you share a linky?

As to the RSS, there is a little vibration at idle in neutral and there was a vibration at c. 2900-3000rpm when I was still in Dubai (hot weather issue?), but nothing to worry about, compared to the benefits of restraining that great big engine hanging out the back...

I should add that my original mounts were fine when they were replaced, so it's not comparing new to old, but I loved the extra confidence that they give you going into a corner on a fast road.

RXP I thought I would check the sizes before replying but you are right 21mm front and 19mm back, a picture below for you of the ones I made. Where are you based? on the very slim chance you are close to me you can borrow these if you want.

Attachments

• 20171209_130205_resized_213.jpg
    20171209_130205_resized_213.jpg
    346.8 KB · Views: 4,694
MaxA said:
Phil, I had a quick look around for the Powerflex transmission inserts, but didn't see any. Can you share a linky?

As to the RSS, there is a little vibration at idle in neutral and there was a vibration at c. 2900-3000rpm when I was still in Dubai (hot weather issue?), but nothing to worry about, compared to the benefits of restraining that great big engine hanging out the back...

I should add that my original mounts were fine when they were replaced, so it's not comparing new to old, but I loved the extra confidence that they give you going into a corner on a fast road.

Max, Heres the link to the discussion about modifying the inserts with contribution from David at Powerflex.

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=122405&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

heres a link to their site

https://www.powerflex.co.uk/blog/nl2016-37-porsche-996997

Thumb Thumb

Cheers Phil. Need to improve my Google skills. And I even have Powerflex engine and gearbox bushes in the other car...

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back