Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 Gen1 steering wheel swap

CharlieCirrus

Do you guys know if its possible to swap Y fronts multi function steering wheel:

mf%20wheel-M.jpg

For Sports Steering Wheel? I'm not a Y fronts wearer, neither would I want them in a 911!

Sport%20wheel-M.jpg

If you're going to the trouble you should search this forum for 997.2 and 991 wheel upgrades. I think it really smartens the interior up.

I have had a look at those threads, but I haven't seen anything to confirm that this actual swap is possible. Most of the technicians I have asked either don't know or think it isn't possible. Just thought I'd run it by the collective.

As tom said your best going for the gen2 swap you will need a manual wheel and airbag cost on eBay circa £750 for both, the gen 1 sports wheel with airbag go for around £500 it is a quite easy job to swap to either .and being a manual you shouldn't need the gen2 steering control module. you also could go for the gen2 /991 sport wheel uses the same airbag as the gen2 wheel. the round gen1 sports wheels airbag is not the same as the gen2 one.

there are quite a few threads on hear about how to do it , I Swapped my gen1 sports wheel for a gen2 carbon wheel and also on my gen 2 swapped the gen2 wheel for an alcantata 991 sports wheel . let me know if you have any other questions about doing the swap. :thumb:

Attachments

• img_0354_111.jpg
    img_0354_111.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 5,583
  • img_2229_771.jpg
    img_2229_771.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 5,583
Phill as you know Thursday is guitar and pub night!
That looks like a tip wheel for me?

A tip round air bag GEN 2 wheel on eBay about £100
Airbag £300 to £350
Module I think was £270 ish

But well worth it!

Y fronts are making a comeback don't you know!?
I don't actually mind the old triangle wheel - prefer it to the gen two wheel but the polished aluminium 991 wheel is an improvement on all that went before it.
TheFinn will be fitting his shortly so will be posting photos on the other thread.

Are the triangle wheel and sports wheel the same diameter?
Often wondered if the sports wheel is smaller.

i bought and airbag last week from the airbag team for £360 delivered with 12 month warranty and i got a brand spanking new gen 2 tequipemnt wheel from OPC for £672. I plan to fit it over the weekend or next week if i don't get time and i am lead to believe by some threads on the US site that this should be a straight swap as my old wheel was multi function and the new one is manual so i will let you know if it is

Thefinn said:
just need to fit it now

nice Wheel Finn, don't forget to apply a small amount of silicon grease to the three points on the airbag this will stop it sticking and the horn staying on also make sure the wiring loom is sitting in the groove for it .good luck over the weekend look forward to seeing pics of it fitted. :thumb:

RL1989 said:
Are the triangle wheel and sports wheel the same diameter?
Often wondered if the sports wheel is smaller.

the grip is thicker on the 997.1 sport wheel over the triangle wheel.

silvermilnec said:

Airbag £300 to £350

But well worth it!

Agreed Chris , a worth while mod and if you have a tip the rockers on the gen2 wheel are much nicer than the rockers on the gen1 wheel .

the gen2 manual wheels are a bit more money than the pdk gen2 wheels for some reason , I guess they are not changed as often so rarer.

I Still have that nearly new black leather gen 2 heated manual steering wheel as I ended up going with alcantara , I MUST get around to reselling it at some point. :thumb:

Phil 997 said:
silvermilnec said:

Airbag £300 to £350

But well worth it!

Agreed Chris , a worth while mod and if you have a tip the rockers on the gen2 wheel are much nicer than the rockers on the gen1 wheel .

the gen2 manual wheels are a bit more money than the pdk gen2 wheels for some reason , I guess they are not changed as often so rarer.

I Still have that nearly new black leather gen 2 heated manual steering wheel as I ended up going with alcantara , I MUST get around to reselling it at some point. :thumb:
phil it came of a gen1 991 👍

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back