Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

loose heat shield

easttorks964cab

Good afternoon Guys,

my car developed an annoying, tinny rattle on acceleration, around the o/s rear. on inspection, the heat shield in the rear wheel arch is "hanging on", just about completely loose and was resting on the silencer..

my question is, before I start removing the wheel etc, does anyone know if this shield is welded, riveted or so on, into position?

cheers
Chris

If it's the exhaust heat shield above the silencer then they are held in place with what I call a speed nuts go over 15mm ish long threaded stud (resemble a wood screw) which is part of the body under there.

As the cars age the ali of the shield wears or corrodes away above the speed nut and allows the shield to move, drop through the nut, buzz etc.

I normally just remove the nut, fit a large dia washer and refit.

If you're unlucky with corrosion the nut and screw thread can twist off altogether but I've developed a good way to repair these in situ using modified bzp wood screws with the heads almost ground off and mig them in place before sealing with zinc spray.

Hope this helps :thumb:

Hi Harv, thanks for your great answer! it is, indeed, the exhaust shield, so with the info you've given me, i'll take the wheel off and repair myself, as long as the screws will come out.

thanks very much.

No problem.

Use some plus gas or release spray first (not WD40) and that should help. :thumb:

If you are talking about the heat shields each side of the rear bumper you'll have to take the bumper off to access them for a start and then it gets interesting!
I needed to get access to the manifold to exhaust bolts last year so took the bumper off but still needed to remove the heat shields. The "speed nuts" were mostly rusted in place and as they are surrounded by the plastic frame of the heat shields using heat is not an option, I bought a Dremel and was able cut part of the nut which enabled me to remove them with gentle taps of a small chisel. Once they moved a bit I was able to unscrew, replaced them with stainless steel nuts and washers.Had to do the same with 2 of the wheel arch liners plus there's two brackets behind the bumper which were shot, new ones fitted as I was there. Be careful not to damage the threads of the bolts which are fixed to the body is the key with this. Be prepared!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Porsche Die Hard
Back