Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Porsche Buyers Guides
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 8
997 : 2004- 67
996 : 1997-2005 43
993 : 1993-1998 10
964 : 1989-1993 5
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 1
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 0
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 2
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 1
Boxster : 1997- 14
Cayman : 2005- 13
Cayenne : 2003- 10
Macan : 2014- 2
Panamera : 2009- 3
912-914-924-928-944-968 4
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 1
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Body Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

v8fettler
Trainee

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject: Gen2 Turbo - Exhaust Options Reply with quote

Hi Chaps, Im sorry if im repeating (couldnt find the search bar??), but what are my options for making the Turbo a little less discreet? (i.e. louder!).
I previously had an R32 Golf, and an S2000, neither were quiet cars, so I'm not used to this near-silent assasin.

Does this 'Gundo@ or 'PSE' hack work on the Turbo, or are the exhausts completely different? I've got a Tig Welder at work (the set, and the chap to use it...), so doing things like the Gundo/Banana/PSE hack would be simple enough, I'd even go so far as to fitting a valve so I can return to civilised tones at the flick of a switch.

Any help much appreciated as usual!

Thanks

T8
General
General

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'Gundo hack' isn't applicable to Turbos.

You have to buy a replacement system. I'll leave it to others less purist than me to suggest them. Very Happy
ex 1978 Silver 924 Manual

m119cars
Trainee

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there

I went through this process earlier this year and spent many an evening listening to various exhausts on You Tube, reading reviews etc etc.

For a number of reasons I narrowed it down to 2, Kline and Europipe.
Both good systems and do the required job ( I, like you wanted a better sound ) in the end I went for the Europipe as I felt it had the edge on build quality. Comes with 200cel cats so no CEL issues and fitted perfectly.

Very pleased with the sound now and tend to drive everywhere with sports button on!!

Just a note that you may want to factor in a new set of O2 sensors as they are notoriously difficult to get out in one piece.

911TEL
Österreich

2011 Porsche 997 Turbo S

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To offer an alternative POV, I would highly recommend the Kline exhaust ....

I noticed totally positive changes in the note and power delivery after figment of mine ....

I listened to all the YouTube sound bites possible before going for the Kline ...

Try to get a listen to one ....
I think 9E are agents now .......I don’t think that you would be disappointed !!
SL 55 AMG Obsidian Black
Brompton S2L Black edition
(All current)

Mr Pub
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

m119cars wrote:
Hi there

I went through this process earlier this year and spent many an evening listening to various exhausts on You Tube, reading reviews etc etc.

For a number of reasons I narrowed it down to 2, Kline and Europipe.
Both good systems and do the required job ( I, like you wanted a better sound ) in the end I went for the Europipe as I felt it had the edge on build quality. Comes with 200cel cats so no CEL issues and fitted perfectly.

Very pleased with the sound now and tend to drive everywhere with sports button on!!

Just a note that you may want to factor in a new set of O2 sensors as they are notoriously difficult to get out in one piece.

I 2nd that for europipe -1st Mod I had done - it makes for a more involved and rewarding driving experience - great company to deal with as well Thumb

Past
996 Turbo - Seal Grey - Standard apart from the Fluffy Dog

Jcx
Estoril

2010 Porsche 997 Turbo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say go for the SharkWerks XPipe which is a bargain replacement for the rear silencer. It'll make your turbo sound like a PSE equipped NA car.

Here is the 'before' video of a stock 997.2 turbo https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1CdFm3mxDHU

Here is the 'after' video of my car... https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=K948xuZeeRo

I also attach my Total911 magazine review.

41B6615C-AB18-42BD-A2D9-DE3DAD83AE3B.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  119.85 KB
 Viewed:  722 Time(s)

41B6615C-AB18-42BD-A2D9-DE3DAD83AE3B.JPG

Scholester
Hockenheim

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jcx wrote:
I say go for the SharkWerks XPipe which is a bargain replacement for the rear silencer. It'll make your turbo sound like a PSE equipped NA car.

Here is the 'before' video of a stock 997.2 turbo https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1CdFm3mxDHU

Here is the 'after' video of my car... https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=K948xuZeeRo

Yes, a noticeable improvement there. The Turbo will never sound as good as a N/A car (my 964 with decat and cup pipe sounded epic) but improvements should be saught. That X-pipe looks like a great and relatively inexpensive solution.

I have ordered a Kline for my Turbo after replacing all of the chocolate fixings on my original system and just couldn't bring myself to put the heavy, quiet exhaust back on. I have gone for 200 cell cats as I don't want any warning lights and am not interested in mapping.

Desert Dragon
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scholester wrote:
Jcx wrote:

Yes, a noticeable improvement there. The Turbo will never sound as good as a N/A car (my 964 with decat and cup pipe sounded epic) but improvements should be saught. That X-pipe looks like a great and relatively inexpensive solution.

I have ordered a Kline for my Turbo after replacing all of the chocolate fixings on my original system and just couldn't bring myself to put the heavy, quiet exhaust back on. I have gone for 200 cell cats as I don't want any warning lights and am not interested in mapping.

Its a shame you can't dyno before and after to see if the Kline adds or in some cases maybe even loses a few horses especially as you're never going to map. In this scenario the Europipe would have been better in terms of no cels. I know guys who have the 200 cel Kline and still get cel lights occasionally.

Scholester
Hockenheim

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desert Dragon wrote:
Scholester wrote:
Jcx wrote:

Its a shame you can't dyno before and after to see if the Kline adds or in some cases maybe even loses a few horses especially as you're never going to map. In this scenario the Europipe would have been better in terms of no cels. I know guys who have the 200 cel Kline and still get cel lights occasionally.

The Europipe was double the money and plenty seem happy with Kline. I hope to get lucky with the cels situation but will address any issues as they may arise.
Yes, would have been interesting to see the dyno figures but it's a swap being carried out purely for the improved sound. The Kline looks quality also so I guess it will sell second hand quite easily if ever I decide to sell the car. I have decided to leave the old lambda sensors in the stock system so that should slip back on without issue and avoids the potential headache of breaking something on extraction!

v8fettler
Trainee

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant responces Chaps, Thanks you very much!

I didnt want to spend a fortune, but I'll investigate those suggestions.

This 'CEL' light, is this one fo the computers systems which monitors the exhaust?

I'm not bothered about additional power, or weight loss, the 500 is enough for now, I'm sure in time when I'm used to it I may change my mind, but as I havent driven anything but a 2.0tdi since 2013, it's scary enough for now!

Thanks again Chaps, very helpful!

996ttalot
Approved Trader

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re Europipe or Kline.

We have fitted lots of Europipe but now concentrate on Kline, as we are the UK dealers. There is zero difference in terms of quality between the two systems. In terms of sound, I would say that the Kline is less shouty at idle and low speed compared to Europipe, but the Kline sounds better imo on boost.

However there is one huge advantage Kline has. It is modular so that means you can at a later date change the cat count or even go decat. This is one of the reasons we went with Kline.

If you need a price OP just shoot me an email or call us by clicking on our signature.

Ken

Desert Dragon
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worth reading this thread re Kline. Good customer service in the end but customers really shouldn't have to go through this hassle.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turbo-forum/999200-kline-exhaust-installed.html

rabbitstew
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desert Dragon wrote:
Its a shame you can't dyno before and after to see if the Kline adds or in some cases maybe even loses a few horses especially as you're never going to map.

Whilst an independent dyno test would be best, on their website Kline claim:

100cel = 16hp increase
200cel = 21hp increase
decat = 42hp increase

those are from just bolting the exhaust on & no mapping.

they claim their decat exhaust + remap = 75hp increase.
1994 Kawasaki ZXR750L2

Desert Dragon
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rabbitstew wrote:
Desert Dragon wrote:
Its a shame you can't dyno before and after to see if the Kline adds or in some cases maybe even loses a few horses especially as you're never going to map.

100cel = 16hp increase
200cel = 21hp increase
decat = 42hp increase

they claim their decay exhaust + remap = 75hp increase.

Interesting their 200 cel has more power gain than their 100 cel exhaust which is more expensive Confused

rabbitstew
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desert Dragon wrote:
Interesting their 200 cel has more power gain than their 100 cel exhaust which is more expensive Confused

Indeed. I suspect maybe they have got those figures the wrong way around as you would expect the 100cel to give you more bhp over a 200cel cat.
1994 Kawasaki ZXR750L2

m119cars
Trainee

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rabbitstew wrote:
Desert Dragon wrote:

100cel = 16hp increase
200cel = 21hp increase
decat = 42hp increase

they claim their decat exhaust + remap = 75hp increase.

Thats interesting as I was under the impression there was no increase in BHP due to the ECU controlling it all. I was told the only difference would be a bit more of a low-mid range shove as the turbo's spooled up quicker.

I am sure the more knowledgeable will be along shortly to confirm either way.

Norfolk & Idea
Suzuka

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went with a Kline full system. Equal length headers decat and tune. Not cheap but very happy with the whole shebang. Sounds very naughty on boost but quiet on a neutral throttle. Perfect.
2008 Vito Sport- Household Star!

easternjets
Barcelona

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple of questions you need to ask yourself before you change your system.

Do you want to change the entire system, cats and all or just the silencer. Changing the entire system will give you more power but you will inevitably need a remap, not necessary on a 200 cell but it is on all the others.
Biggest draw back with this is firstly the cost, your going to be about £3k lighter by the time you've done all the work. Secondly if you sell the car and want to put it back to std you've got to reverse the job and I doubt you will do it yourself, you might get lucky and sell the car to an enthusiast who wants the Kline set up.

If it's just a good sound your after then the easiest by far is the Sharkwerks pipe, it is literally just a bit of pipe or two to be exact! You can fit it yourself in about a morning depending on how rusty your nuts and bolts and clamps are and you can remove it in the same time and put it back to std. No remap needed at all, sounds wicked. Surprisingly it's not as loud as you would think it's going to be and in Sport mode it does have a nice bark to it. Not cheap though for two 2 meter lengths of drain pipe but maybe if you had access to a Mandrell and welding gear your could fabricate one, just a thought, then punt them no here!
Porsche 928 S4
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera 1985

20170813_201429.jpg
 Description:
Sharkwerks fitted on 997 turbo gen 2
 Filesize:  838.28 KB
 Viewed:  267 Time(s)

20170813_201429.jpg

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: