Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

305 vs 295 Michelin PS4S ?

systech1

Greetings again from downunder.

I'm tempted to fit 305/35/19 Michelin PS4S tyres on my MY2010 997.2S manual rather than the standard 295s. I'm sure fender clearance is not an issue but are there any other issues I need to consider (e.g. handling/transmission load/ PSC response / speedo error (presumably tyre circumference with the same aspect ratio is a little higher and assuming speedo is driven from ABS sensor on wheels) ?

Does the wider tyre provide significant improvement in handling? Anyone done this before and have experience that can be shared?

Thanks in advance for any help :D

BTW, just installed the DSC Sports V1 PASM replacement via the group buy and am really impressed !

You can fit either size from my understanding. Some people also put 245 in the front vs 235. No other issues as they're the same circumference.

Wider tyres = more lateral grip, slightly higher rolling resistance, slightly more sidewall (35% of 305mm). As long as your rims are wide enough, I wouldn't say it's an issue in terms of fitment, but I'm not sure there's any real benefit either.

I had 305's on my C2S. Slightly harder ride but not that noticeable TBH. Look better and more rim protection.

Surely the wider rear just makes it understeer more?

If you have the optional carrera sport wheels which are 8.5j front and 11.5j rear it comes with 305s at the rear.
The oem rear wheel width is 11j and it is best suited for a 295mm tyre. However, you can fit 305s on it if you really want to.

Got them on mine more for show than go ... no problems and less prone to tyre skip in cold weather

Attachments

• shiny_wheels_203.jpg
    shiny_wheels_203.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3,351
Cy00 said:
If you have the optional carrera sport wheels which are 8.5j front and 11.5j rear it comes with 305s at the rear.
The oem rear wheel width is 11j and it is best suited for a 295mm tyre. However, you can fit 305s on it if you really want to.

I should have indicated that I have the Carrera Sport wheels (11.5") at the rear so I think you are suggesting that they SHOULD be fitted with 305 tyres (mine currently have 295s and 235/3519s at the front). Some forums suggest that the 305s should be mated with 245/35/19s at the front to prevent understeer.

Thoughts ?

TIA

I've got my winter 295s mounted on the 11.5 inch Carrera Sports, and summer 305s on my 11 inch OZs, which is arse about face, with 235s up front. I will be fitting new front camber plates to help reduce the low speed understeer at the front, and I suppose I might run 245s up front next time round, to help with the balance front to rear, but it is a lot of rubber on the road.

systech1 said:
Cy00 said:

I should have indicated that I have the Carrera Sport wheels (11.5") at the rear so I think you are suggesting that they SHOULD be fitted with 305 tyres (mine currently have 295s and 235/3519s at the front). Some forums suggest that the 305s should be mated with 245/35/19s at the front to prevent understeer.

Thoughts ?

TIA
if you have the 11.5j rear wheels definitely run the 305s in the rear as Porsche does from factory.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back