Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Ctek connection location with car cover????

Thefinn

Barcelona
I plan to get my Ctek charger connected up to the battery this weekend but i have a car cover so don't want to have the cable running through the frunk. Has anyone extended the connections so that it can be hooked up in another location such as the wheel arch without cutting panels etc.? if so was the connection dangling or is there a good location that it can be tucked away when not in use?

Check the cigar lighter. In my 996 it is always live so I plug the charger in there, run the cable out the door over the sill and close the door. the rubber seals ensure the cable isn't crushed.

In my 997 I've also used the official CTEK cigarette connector cable and run it through the door seal, but for some reason the power doesn't seem to connect every time :damn: . I've tried reversing it (north-south) turning it through 90 degrees and for some reason it won't connect....then sometimes it does??

So now I use the direct (grip) connectors onto the battery and run the cable through the frunk lid. It does close OK without squashing the cable. :thumb:

thanks for the advice guys but i have run it through the frunk lid in the past but i am hoping to come up with a more permanent / discrete solution so i can just plug in without cables through doors or lids. i just wondered if anyone has run cables to do this in the past? The plan in to cut and extend the Ctek cables to a suitable location, i will get my thinking cap on :?:

I bought the 2.5m lead extension cheapest at Halfords, I run it out of the frunk nearest the screen, put a large towel over the wing so the lead isn't touching the screen then put the cover over.

The best place I have seen for the ctek lead was in the small scuttle fixing covers. the two small covers that hide the fixings for the scuttle one also housed the ctek connection . very discrete and hidden when not in use . :thumb:

I run the cable over a microfiber towel over the wing which is fine with the fitted cover in place.
:thumb:

Double post :pc:

that's what i currently have but want to extend it so that i don't even have to open the frunk to plug it in. I am thinking that if i can locate the connector in one of the air ducts at the front i can then run the cabling back to battery as long as i can get it safe and tidy i.e. out of site when not in use and no cables flapping around. I just wondered if anyone had done something similar and was able to achieve this without cutting anything? before you say it the rubber cap on the connector will keep the weather out as long as i don't go wading through a flood!

I see no issue in continuing to do what you are currently doing. Get yourself a Rubik Cube to keep those idle hands busy :wink:

Ctek cigarette lighter socket adapter. Ctek in drivers footwell. Cable out the door over sill. plugged in to extension lead under the car to suitable 13 amp socket. Takes literally a couple of minutes to connect up. Shut door, lock car, pull down cover. Done. :thumb:

Thefinn said:
I plan to get my Ctek charger connected up to the battery this weekend but i have a car cover so don't want to have the cable running through the frunk. Has anyone extended the connections so that it can be hooked up in another location such as the wheel arch without cutting panels etc.? if so was the connection dangling or is there a good location that it can be tucked away when not in use?

If you look within the plastic scuttle trim panel at the base of your windscreen on the drivers side, you will see a little inch by inch and a half section of plastic trim that clips easily in and out in seconds, this is used to gain access to the fixings that hold the scuttle trim in place.

I have routed my CTek connector up to this point such that the connector resides in the little void under this cover and then I just unclip the little plastic cover and pull the connector up a little and plug the charger into it. The beauty of this is that you haven't got to unlock the car or open any of the doors or frunk or trap the cable in anything and it takes seconds to hook it all up and similar to unhook it.

There is just enough room in this void for the connector to sit and I use the connector that has the little rubber cover that protects the terminal when not in use.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back