Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993 Tip 180k miles

RC911

Hi there guys, i have seen a 993 tip with 188 k miles on it, anything to look for? or should i just walk away

180K miles? .......... barely run in .

In all seriousness, if she's had decent service history, drives straight, brakes straight, vin and service book match, she doesn't smoke, she hasn't horrendous rot and the money's right <£32K, it wouldn't bother me in the least.

Mileage really shouldn't be a judgement on these cars. I've seen some awful <70K mileage 911s in my time.

OPC Tewkesbury has a tip for sale at the moment with just shy of 50K miles under her belt. She's up for the super value price of £72K lol. ....... and I could see surface rust on the lower near side front cill.

A lot of the expensive items to replace on these cars are as much age related rather than how many miles the beasty has done. :thumb:

Just the usual 993 age related issues really. Bubbling/rust around the screens, door check straps etc.

Tip box is pretty bulletproof.

If you're going to use it why not enjoy the mileage discount.

thanks guys, will let you know how it goes, will be swapping my 997.2 for it as I just dont use it as much as I would like

RC911 said:
thanks guys, will let you know how it goes, will be swapping my 997.2 for it as I just dont use it as much as I would like

As a very recent 993 buyer coming from modern cars with semi auto boxes I thought I would buy a Tip. Having driven both the manual is much more fun and more of an occasion to drive. Think you will find the box underwhelming, agricultural and it makes the car feel much slower than it is. Hold out for a really good manual where the box is one of the best things about the car

If it was a daily the tip would be a good shout and I think it works well in a cab too.

Will probably get shot for this but just giving the view of a recent convert!

Don't be put off by the tip if that's what you are interested in. I think it's similar to the box on the 964. There's a write up on the Williams Crawford website which extols the virtues of the tip transmission.

wozy said:

In all seriousness, if she's had decent service history, drives straight, brakes straight, vin and service book match, she doesn't smoke, she hasn't horrendous rot and the money's right <£32K, it wouldn't bother me in the least.

Mileage really shouldn't be a judgement on these cars. I've seen some awful <70K mileage 911s in my time.

OPC Tewkesbury has a tip for sale at the moment with just shy of 50K miles under her belt. She's up for the super value price of £72K lol. ....... and I could see surface rust on the lower near side front cill.

A lot of the expensive items to replace on these cars are as much age related rather than how many miles the beasty has done. :thumb:

I'd totally echo Wozy here. I purchased my 993 at a mileage of 150k. Now, I got mine for a song knowing nothing had been done and it would require at least 10k sort (minor OCD has made this a lot more though- just depends on how far gone you are!). Let me clear though, I've done that work over a few years as and when the money tree grows back. So that's always a viable route.

So unless you want to be unloading that sort of dosh just make sure suspension, oil return tubes, lower cam covers, exhaust (as per Wozy's recent thread that's 3-4K for a proper job) etc etc. The cars not going to be perfect and god knows I doubt many 993s would be without a nut & bolt resto. It will probably leak a small amount of oil but that's par for the course. If you can satisfy yourself that the nastier bills have been sorted; a purchase price of early 30s would be a good buy. I'd hold out for a manual in which case mid 30d for that sort of mileage is realistic.

And if it breaks you can always just look at it. Just ask the garage queens!

MattyR said:
wozy said:

I'd totally echo Wozy here. I purchased my 993 at a mileage of 150k. Now, I got mine for a song knowing nothing had been done and it would require at least 10k sort (minor OCD has made this a lot more though- just depends on how far gone you are!). Let me clear though, I've done that work over a few years as and when the money tree grows back. So that's always a viable route.

So unless you want to be unloading that sort of dosh just make sure suspension, oil return tubes, lower cam covers, exhaust (as per Wozy's recent thread that's 3-4K for a proper job) etc etc. The cars not going to be perfect and god knows I doubt many 993s would be without a nut & bolt resto. It will probably leak a small amount of oil but that's par for the course. If you can satisfy yourself that the nastier bills have been sorted; a purchase price of early 30s would be a good buy. I'd hold out for a manual in which case mid 30d for that sort of mileage is realistic.

And if it breaks you can always just look at it. Just ask the garage queens!

:thumb:

OP. I'd be all over this one. If it's ligit, I'd be on it.

Look at the spec and service history. Bloody lovely and looks an absolute bargain.

https://www.pistonheads.com/classif...th-black-leather-and-hard-backs/7929366#/home :thumb:

That, car is mine and is a cracking buy, no stories, lots of recent work, I advertised it at what the trade has bid at it, they will do some light paint and mid £40's the car.

Trantorman said:
That, car is mine and is a cracking buy, no stories, lots of recent work, I advertised it at what the trade has bid at it, they will do some light paint and mid £40's the car.

If I was in the market, I think I'd buy without viewing. You can just tell a lover and carer of a 993 sometimes.
She looks lovely and wish you the best of luck with the sale. :)

Trantorman said:

Cracking car and a bargain. :thumb:

C.

I've had my Tip S Cab since 2000, before that I had a 964 Targa C4 manual. I love the way the Tip drives, the tip box runs on fuzzy logic which means it can adapt to your driving style. If you have the "S" buttons on the stearing wheel it's a great deal of fun. When it comes to speed, the difference between the Tip and a manual is so small that IMHO you'd need to be Lewis Hamilton to get that extra bit out of a manual 8)

Just my two penneth .

ATB :)

wozy said:

am I naive in being surprised an OPC 993 has rust, suppose I figured a car with rust would never retail at an OPC. Not questioning what you saw by the way, just interested in how much 'OPC sale standards' is actually smoke and mirrors in many cases

Trantorman said:

Wow, that looks great.

I think I probably need to seriously re-assess what mine is worth based on that price! :sad: :sad:

madge said:
Trantorman said:

Wow, that looks great.

I think I probably need to seriously re-assess what mine is worth based on that price! :sad: :sad:

Bear in mind it's a C4, so probably a couple of k lower than what a C2 would be worth. :thumb:

C.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back