Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

oil pressure

alfazagato

Silverstone
Changed oil and filter a few days ago and used the same oil as previously installed Shell Helix Ultra 5W 40. That oil had been in the engine for some 2000 miles and 13 months. Previously on cold start-up the needle went straight to 5...now it goes to 4.5. However there appears to be no difference at just over 4 indicated at 3000 revs. Why the difference at start-up? I do recall that this oil is on the Porsche approved list.

The gauge is not very accurate! Don't worry about it being 4.5 now when it was 5 at start-up. More importantly see what it settles at when hot on idle. Mine is around 2 bar and the car has 36k miles only, so you'd expect very little wear n tear + its had an oil and filter change every year by OPC Chester in the 5 years I've owned despite doing only around 1.5k miles per annum in the last two years and around 2-3k miles per annum before that.

Th Shell oil you mention might be on the approved Porsche list of oils. But mine has only ever had Mobil1 (0W-40 I think) by OPC Chester as the Porsche approved and specified oil for the 996 Turbo.

Also the sensor can sometime be faulty showing up as an erratic fluctuating oil pressure reading.

Have you put the same amount in?

Yes the proper amount and I found that the level on he dipstick was fractionally over the upper mark.....perhaps a mm only.

Odd, but I wouldn't lose sleep over it, my first thought would have been did I put less in than last time. Oil pressure always seemed low after a change, I always put another 500ml in after getting the 993 back from a service then it would be in a healthier needle position

alfazagato said:
Yes the proper amount and I found that the level on he dipstick was fractionally over the upper mark.....perhaps a mm only.

Is that after you've circulated the new oil round the engine and filled all the lifters, etc?

Yes, I put in 8 litres, ran the engine, dipped the sump and added a further half litre. New level was, as I noted, marginally over the top groove on the dip stick.

Have you turned your aircon off? :grin:

Aircon off at tickover drops the oil pressure around half a bar. When aircon is engaged, the ecu ups the engine revs by 200rpm (to compensate for the load the compressor puts on the engine) and thus increases the oil pressure.

Sorry I misinterpreted that emoji as being a humorous comment. No air-con off. Thank you for that tip though.

Yes it was precisely the same oil as used previously but to put matters into perspective I removed just 150 ml via a syringe and long plastic tube down the dipstick pipe and the level is now bang on the upper mark on the dipstick. The dash level gauge comfortingly agrees too. So it appears my car takes 8.35 litres or alternatively there was 150 ml hanging about in the engine somewhere despite the sump draining overnight! Thank you for all the helpful comments and I will drive the car and see if the idle pressure returns.

The amount of oil in the engine won't affect the pressure until the level is so low that you're getting cavitation in the pump. A few hundred millilitres here or there won't cause a difference in the reading.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry, and as others have said, it's what it settles at when at hot idle that is the reading to worry about, and even then you need only get concerned at less than 1bar.

Hi Alfazagato my 997 oil pressure reads differently from one day to the next at 3000 rpm it will be half a bar down on the day before then back to normal the next ,and as Demort has already said these are not the most accurate of gauges .
I gave up long ago trying to understand why , it almost became an obsession I spent more time looking at the oil pressure than the road in front, I have long since given up worrying about it
hope this might help
:thumb:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back